don't click here

Sonic Spectre v0.5 SAGE 2023 demo

General Information

THIS VERSION IS OUTDATED, PLAY THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF SONIC SPECTRE INSTEAD:

IMPORTANT:
THERE ARE 2 VERSIONS OF THIS GAME!
- A copyright free version for youtubers. This one uses alternate music so you don't have to worry about copyright.

- A version with the intended music. This music is way better but is copyrighted! So don't use it for video's!

Overview
So far Sonic Spectre includes:
- 3 Playable characters (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles) all with their respected abilities
- 5 fully completed zones consisting of 2 regular acts and 1 boss act
- Entertaining zone transitions that give some context to the game's events
This is one of mulitiple demos that will come out in the future until the game is fully finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Controls:
Important: At the beginning you choose your input. Do so or you won't be able to play the game obviously.

Sonic
:
- Super Peel out: Hold up + Jump
- Drop Dash: Hold Jump when jumping

Tails:
- Flight: Tap Jump when jumping

Knuckles:
- Glide: Hold jump when jumping
- Climbing: Glide to a vertical wall and when attached press up/down to move up/down

Cutscenes:
- Press Jump/Special/Extra/Start to skip.

Menu:
- Press Jump/Start to continue/select
- Press Extra to go back
- Press "delete" (on your keyboard) to delete your progress

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshots:

Waterfall Capital Boss screenshot 2.png
Waterfall Capital act 1 screenshot 02.png

Windy Woods Boss screenshot.png
Windy Woods act 1 screenshot.png

Latest reviews

The stages are a oftentimes a bit messy and in the first zone the background is hard to make out from the foreground. But apart from that I love the After the Sequel vibes I'm getting from this. The bosses are an absolute hightlight. There is alot of content too. Five (from the looks of it) finished zones. I Hope this reaches completion! When it is completed it'll deserve 5 stars.
It doesn't work on the latest version of Windows 10. It opens the game and then, 2 or 3 seconds later, it close itself. I tried even the Copyrighted free version of the game and does the same thing. This game is fantastic from YouTube videos of the game but if doesn't work on the latest version of Windows 10, becomes a very unfinished Sonic game that has a lot of bugs and doesn't work on certain Modern Windows versions. Please fix it.
TheBearBridge
TheBearBridge
I'm afraid that's really just your computer acting up. It works completely fine on mine which also has the latest version of windows 10. Try opening it on another device.
S
Sonic2Fan
I have only 1 PC and is my main one. This PC runs fine the 0.4.2 demo of this game. Maybe there's a error in the code that doesn't load something and closes the game? Because part of coding errors is when there's an error in some lines that are scripted to load game files that require to play the game. It's maybe a coding issue on the .exe file because the .exe file from the 0.4.2 works fine so please check the code of the .exe file of the 0.5 version to see if there's errors in the code.

Comments

The stages end up being difficult to make out visually a lot of the time, due to the high contrast in the backgrounds, but I thought the bosses in this were quite fun and creative, especially the one where you climb up the rotating floors. The balloon stage was pretty cool. The cutscenes were, thankfully, skippable.

The stages end up being difficult to make out visually a lot of the time, due to the high contrast in the backgrounds, but I thought the bosses in this were quite fun and creative, especially the one where you climb up the rotating floors. The balloon stage was pretty cool. The cutscenes were, thankfully, skippable.
Thank you for your feedback! These issues will all hopefully be fixed next SAGE. I dunno about the cutscenes tho. I have no idea how to actually animate. So for now they're gonna stay as slideshows.

I played through what was available, really liking what I see. The overall presentation is great. I like the cutscenes, even if they are slideshows, the art is all great, and I really like Eggman's design. I enjoyed seeing the random citizens around in the first zone. The level design was pretty good, and I never felt frustrated by it. That carnival zone is one of the best takes on it I've seen. Most of the bosses were also pretty fun.

For feedback, I found the very first level hard to read with the background looking very busy and being made up of the same kind of buildings you platform on. Also, those badniks that fire the crab claws are annoying enough to rival the enemies from Metropolis Zone. Those might not be a good enemy to include in the first zone of the game. I also found the GUN soldiers standing around in Zone 4 to just be weird. Why are they just standing around? Why are they also in the underwater areas of Act 2, without any kind of diving equipment? They need to look like they have a reason to be around. And then I simply don't understand the horror angle you seem to be going with for the Black Arms. I personally find them to look goofy, not spooky, so at no point did it really fit in my opinion.
I also found that some bosses would giving the warning noise for an attack but then attack before the noise was finished, which is really bad when you're supposed to rely on that sound to avoid attacks. Also, using the one laser charging sound gets grating when it's used for so many boss attacks across the game. Some of the bosses were also of the variety of "wait for it to be vulnerable, get a single hit in, wait for it to be vulnerable again." These aren't very fun, and they get less fun the longer you have to wait between hits.
For boss-specific issues, I was initially excited in the Egg Kraken fight, because I thought I was going to be fighting it while climbing all around its tentacles, which is a really cool concept, but I was severely disappointed when that was only a lead up to an otherwise underwhelming boss fight. Also, the attack hitboxes were iffy, as I once got hit by a tentacle when I was very much under the safe one. With Egg Phoenix, the last phase was very annoying as there was only a small section where you can actually bounce up to hit the boss, and it's on the same side the spring enemies spawn, giving you very little time to hit them and jump on the spring. Then, for my homeboy Metal Sonic, I got hurt by jumping into him during the first phase, when he was just standing around. It was right before he did an attack, so I assume his hurtbox activated slightly before the attack animation actually started. And his second phase is incredibly easy to beat. If you just run into the right side of the screen, he can't touch you at all, while it's very easy to hit him. Doom's Eye just wasn't very exciting or fun. There wasn't necessarily anything wrong with it, it's just not a stand-out fight.
However, I think the biggest problem just comes from the sound. For context, I played with the intended soundtrack. While I found most of the music good and appropriate, there were a few questionable tracks. The vocal tracks like Stranger I Remain and Devil Trigger felt really out of place, as their lyrics have no bearing at all in the fights (especially Stranger I Remain), and if you played the games they're from, you just think about those games. It's a similar story with the Star Wars track, I was taken completely out of it because I immediately recognized it as Star Wars music. I also question the use of jungle music for an underwater highway level. A lot of the music didn't loop well, either, either fading out before starting up again, or just suddenly starting again without a proper loop transition. Oh, and Eggman's constant laughing in the third zone got really, really annoying.
Finally, two other bugs I found. One, I got to that one area in Zone 4 Act 2 I wasn't supposed to. I know I was supposed to kill myself, but I decided to see if I could finish the stage from there. I was able to pass over the signpost, which actually triggered the level end, but the results never showed up and I was stuck there until I restarted the game. Two, you can pause with a controller, but you can't unpause with one. I always had to unpause with my keyboard.

Again, I really like what's here so far. Even if you don't change a lot of the things I addressed, it will still be pretty good. The only big gripe I have is the general sound issues. If you put a bit of effort into fixing up the music and sounds, you'd have an A+ game.

I played through what was available, really liking what I see. The overall presentation is great. I like the cutscenes, even if they are slideshows, the art is all great, and I really like Eggman's design. I enjoyed seeing the random citizens around in the first zone. The level design was pretty good, and I never felt frustrated by it. That carnival zone is one of the best takes on it I've seen. Most of the bosses were also pretty fun.

For feedback, I found the very first level hard to read with the background looking very busy and being made up of the same kind of buildings you platform on. Also, those badniks that fire the crab claws are annoying enough to rival the enemies from Metropolis Zone. Those might not be a good enemy to include in the first zone of the game. I also found the GUN soldiers standing around in Zone 4 to just be weird. Why are they just standing around? Why are they also in the underwater areas of Act 2, without any kind of diving equipment? They need to look like they have a reason to be around. And then I simply don't understand the horror angle you seem to be going with for the Black Arms. I personally find them to look goofy, not spooky, so at no point did it really fit in my opinion.
I also found that some bosses would giving the warning noise for an attack but then attack before the noise was finished, which is really bad when you're supposed to rely on that sound to avoid attacks. Also, using the one laser charging sound gets grating when it's used for so many boss attacks across the game. Some of the bosses were also of the variety of "wait for it to be vulnerable, get a single hit in, wait for it to be vulnerable again." These aren't very fun, and they get less fun the longer you have to wait between hits.
For boss-specific issues, I was initially excited in the Egg Kraken fight, because I thought I was going to be fighting it while climbing all around its tentacles, which is a really cool concept, but I was severely disappointed when that was only a lead up to an otherwise underwhelming boss fight. Also, the attack hitboxes were iffy, as I once got hit by a tentacle when I was very much under the safe one. With Egg Phoenix, the last phase was very annoying as there was only a small section where you can actually bounce up to hit the boss, and it's on the same side the spring enemies spawn, giving you very little time to hit them and jump on the spring. Then, for my homeboy Metal Sonic, I got hurt by jumping into him during the first phase, when he was just standing around. It was right before he did an attack, so I assume his hurtbox activated slightly before the attack animation actually started. And his second phase is incredibly easy to beat. If you just run into the right side of the screen, he can't touch you at all, while it's very easy to hit him. Doom's Eye just wasn't very exciting or fun. There wasn't necessarily anything wrong with it, it's just not a stand-out fight.
However, I think the biggest problem just comes from the sound. For context, I played with the intended soundtrack. While I found most of the music good and appropriate, there were a few questionable tracks. The vocal tracks like Stranger I Remain and Devil Trigger felt really out of place, as their lyrics have no bearing at all in the fights (especially Stranger I Remain), and if you played the games they're from, you just think about those games. It's a similar story with the Star Wars track, I was taken completely out of it because I immediately recognized it as Star Wars music. I also question the use of jungle music for an underwater highway level. A lot of the music didn't loop well, either, either fading out before starting up again, or just suddenly starting again without a proper loop transition. Oh, and Eggman's constant laughing in the third zone got really, really annoying.
Finally, two other bugs I found. One, I got to that one area in Zone 4 Act 2 I wasn't supposed to. I know I was supposed to kill myself, but I decided to see if I could finish the stage from there. I was able to pass over the signpost, which actually triggered the level end, but the results never showed up and I was stuck there until I restarted the game. Two, you can pause with a controller, but you can't unpause with one. I always had to unpause with my keyboard.

Again, I really like what's here so far. Even if you don't change a lot of the things I addressed, it will still be pretty good. The only big gripe I have is the general sound issues. If you put a bit of effort into fixing up the music and sounds, you'd have an A+ game.
Thank you for all the feedback! Although it's alot and I won't be able to fix all of this (because I still need to actually finish the game after all) I'll try fix as much as I can.
The Black Arms are not supposed to be scary at all. Just surprising considering they're rarely featured in anything.
If you pay attention to the GUN soldiers during the boss battle you can notice they are being mind controlled by Doom's Eye. (this is important for the end of the game).
You really shouldn't pay attention to the lyrics/origins of the music. I can't really change those.
But I'll do my best to change as much as I can!

Visual hiearachy is very poor. I recommend making a mocup of stages in image editor and then checking the values through black and white filter. I see there was an attempt made of slightly desaturating background, but it's simply not enough. A good way would be to have background, level and enemies all contrast in both value and color, but value alone should be enough.

Cutscenes need at least a speed up and more sound effects

But there's already an inspiring amount of creativity in themes, gimmicks and everything really, i think with a bit of polish this fangame can become absolutely legendary, keep it up

Also this is one of the few fangames where i have no complaints about level design at all

Last edited:
I really love this fangame from top to bottom, has good sprites, unique boss fights and great music choices!

but i wanna know what music is used in act 2 of Windy Woods zone?

Game was fairly fun, if rough. I do have a large complaint though, as a streamer/YouTuber: Your 0.5 'copyright free' version was NOT copyright-free. It still played Star Wars music in Freaky Funfair Act 1. I had to mute my stream's audio for that act once I heard the initial melody and realized what was playing; hoping I didn't get myself a copyright claim/strike due to this, frankly. I feel pretty bothered by this because it literally said it was a copyright free version...

Game was fairly fun, if rough. I do have a large complaint though, as a streamer/YouTuber: Your 0.5 'copyright free' version was NOT copyright-free. It still played Star Wars music in Freaky Funfair Act 1. I had to mute my stream's audio for that act once I heard the initial melody and realized what was playing; hoping I didn't get myself a copyright claim/strike due to this, frankly. I feel pretty bothered by this because it literally said it was a copyright free version...
I apologise for the inconvenience, the next demo will have this fixed.

Item information

Added by
TheBearBridge
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from TheBearBridge