don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Untitled Paper Mario Fangame (SAGE '23 Demo)

General Information

Initially created several years ago as an impromptu homage to the original Paper Mario game, I have since began working again on my Untitled Paper Mario Fangame, mostly out of a desire to bring joy to other Paper Mario fans. I believe I have faithfully recreated the whimsical artistic style of the original game in greater graphic fidelity and, while the gameplay is not finished, I believe the currently implemented battle and overworld elements offer a little bit of fun and nostalgia.

Controls
  • [WASD] Move
  • [Space Bar] Jump
  • [Left Shift] Hammer
  • [Left Ctrl] Spin / Switch in battle
  • [Enter] Open Menu
Screenshots
pmfg_1.jpg

pmfg_2.jpg

pmfg_4.jpg

pmfg_3.jpg

Comments

I wanna preface this by saying I think this is a solid recreation of the Paper Mario gameplay style and for the most part i enjoyed this.

Ima talk about Mario's moves first.
Mario feels.... weird? At least, his walking does. Sometimes it feels like when i move right to left from a standstill he's slow? but when I move up or down he moves faster? (you might wanna get a second opinion on this) The PM64 twirl being in this is sick as hell, always loved that move. Love the new wall jump move you gave him too, fits the gameplay like a glove.
His hammer however? Its fine, but i I think there is WAY too much screenshake when using your hammer in the overworld, its nice to have it but i think you could dial it back a bit.
Overworld wasn't too bad to explore but i noticed one thing. Those small sections where the camera changes angles I feel activate "too soon" and makes me sometimes walk in directions i don't intend to. Feels inconvenient and janky to walk into one of those basically. Now onto some stuff I take issue with about battles.
You can level up too quickly in this game, the starpoint count when you beat an enemy is TOO high.
Whenever I leveled up I never found myself choosing anything other than the health bonus.
(this could just be me however, I noticed the badges you can get in a playthrough are random and i just got badges with high bp count and didn't bother )Oh yeah, a glitch i found, if you fight an enemy near a bush if you keep hitting spacebar it will keep
checking the bush mid-fight until you beat the enemy and move away from the bush.

Again, I think this is a solid recreation of Paper Mario's gameplay.
I see lots of potential here but some things need to be ironed out before it could reach its full potential.

I think this is a good framework for a potential Paper Mario fan game. It's missing a lot of the polish that the official games have, but I'd love to see this fleshed out into something bigger down the line.

Few immediate issues I noticed:
- I can't get the Jump/Headbonk action command to work consistently for me. Haven't managed to land a single Multibounce or Power bounce, either. I think it's a combination of the timing being too strict and the animation being a little too fast. Given how important jumping is in Paper Mario, this really needs to be ironed out.
- Tattle's action command is a mite bit too complicated for a move so commonly used. It gives me flashbacks to Origami King's ring system, and not in a good way. It either needs to be simplified or the time window needs to be made longer.
- I don't really see a reason why HP and FP upgrades have been reduced to 5. That kind of incentivizes you to pump more into BP over them.
- There's no gamepad support, nor can you rebind the controls. This is unfortunate, since action commands are practically made for a controller and analog movement would make using the spin more efficient.

That being said, I hope you stick with this! There's not much in the way of Paper Mario fan games out there (unless you count Paper Mario 3D Land), so this is mighty appreciated. It might be a good idea to study how TTYD plays for reference, too.

I think this is a good framework for a potential Paper Mario fan game. It's missing a lot of the polish that the official games have, but I'd love to see this fleshed out into something bigger down the line.

Few immediate issues I noticed:
- I can't get the Jump/Headbonk action command to work consistently for me. Haven't managed to land a single Multibounce or Power bounce, either. I think it's a combination of the timing being too strict and the animation being a little too fast. Given how important jumping is in Paper Mario, this really needs to be ironed out.
- Tattle's action command is a mite bit too complicated for a move so commonly used. It gives me flashbacks to Origami King's ring system, and not in a good way. It either needs to be simplified or the time window needs to be made longer.
- I don't really see a reason why HP and FP upgrades have been reduced to 5. That kind of incentivizes you to pump more into BP over them.
- There's no gamepad support, nor can you rebind the controls. This is unfortunate, since action commands are practically made for a controller and analog movement would make using the spin more efficient.

That being said, I hope you stick with this! There's not much in the way of Paper Mario fan games out there (unless you count Paper Mario 3D Land), so this is mighty appreciated. It might be a good idea to study how TTYD plays for reference, too.

weren't HP and FP upgrades **ALWAYS** 5?

Item information

Added by
lennongrad
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item