Thanks to ScaleyFox, we managed to fix more than 100 issues. Some levels have been tweaked and some hints are given in key spots.
Sonic Frenzy Adventure was born much before Sonic Worlds was a thing. The game was ambitious, with many fan characters, a huge story line and dozens of levels. Yet, the game fell under it's own weight.
Still, plenty of work was done and, after many years regreting not releasing it, I did what I should have done 10 years ago: deprecate the storyline, and pack all the levels as if it were a Sonic 2 style of game.
And here it is: a retro fangame (if that concept exists) with more than 10 different zones, lots of minibosses and several playable characters.
Do not download the attached file since it's outdated.
Overall the ring system in sonic games makes battle situations extremely easy due to how easy is to brute force through. Some mechanics changed in order to address this issue.
- If you receive a second hit before you get a ring that is not the one you dropped, no rings will appear. This limits your survival to 3 hits in places where there are no rings.
There are 4 ring levels: Bronze, silver, golden and hyper. Get one "Ring level Up" monitor to level up. You lose all your levels if you lose one life.
The ring level affects the following features:
- The number of rings you can recover after a hit (from only 5 at bronze level to 30 at hyper level)
- The speed of the rings when magneted.
- At hyper level, rings worth x2.
The shields doesn't provide powers to sonic, but rather, passive effects. Every shield protects you against one hit.
- Green shield: basic shield with no special powers.
- Blue shield: allows to breathe underwater
- Red shield: makes you immune to fire and fire projectiles
- Pink shield: magnets the rings
- Purple shield: destroys badniks when lost
- Gold shield: It has all the properties above. When receiving a hit, it becomes a green shield.
Sonic is the only character able to use these powers by double jumping. Pressing CTRL key allows to switch between the powers. Find the power monitors to unlock the power. All the powers are lost if you lose one life.
- Flame power: Propels Sonic forward at high speed
- Wind power: Allows to double jump
- Water power: Allows for slow falling
- Earth power: Propels down at high speed. You can bounce high breaking things and break some frail platforms.
- Light power: Mixture of flame and wind power.
Only Sonic and the fan character Darkspeed can transform into their super forms.
Find the giant rings hidden in the levels to access the special stages. Complete the special stage to earn one chaos emerald. Get the 7 chaos emeralds to unlock super sonic.
In order to transform into super sonic you need to find one of the giant rings hidden in the level. There are 3 Giant rings on each level.
Each giant ring gives you 20 rings instead of the usual 50.
There are 3 playable characters:
- Sonic: Uses the powers found in the monitors
- Tails: Can fly for short periods of time. His flight is more controllable than in the genesis games.
- Knuckles: Can glide and climb. His movement is more agile than in the genesis games.
- Darkspeed: Fan character. Can shoot himself in any direction when double jumping. Also, can roll boost by pressing CRTL. He's powerful but also represents the hard mode.
- Ania: Fan character. Can levitate, shoot energy beams and swim. <- She's probably going to be deprecated.
Goals and Achievements
The game will keep track of the following:
- Score: what's your highest score? A game over will reset it to zero. The extra lifes you have at the end of the game will greatly boost your score.
- Giant rings per level: Each level has 3 giant rings hidden. Can you take them all in one go?
- Extra level: There's an extra level available once the game has been completed with all the characters. The Maze is a challenge only suitable for the most engaged players who really enjoys exploring every corner of the game. Can you find the 4 different exits?
- Chao Eggs: Every level has a chao egg hidden somewhere. Can you find them all?
All those rings and eggs collected can be used in chao races. Breed your favourite chao and win all the 24 tracks.