don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Sonic Adventure 2 : Green Hill Zone Reimagined

General Information

This project was created on my sonic engine named "Blue Speed engine", it's a heavily modified version of Sonic infinity engine, this game is more demo than anything else to get the public's opinion on controls, bugs, Ui interface...

And especially the level design if it is good because I am more someone who creates mechanics than rather creates levels. If this one is well received there is a good chance that I will make a more ambitious game next year with this engine.

Have fun with this demo and try to get a S rank :]

Controls (Keyboard/Mouse):

W-A-S-D: Movement
LeftClick/Spacebar: Jump & Homing Attack
RightClick/Left CTRL: Crouching/Sliding
E: Spindash
Crouching/Sliding + Left Mouse : Classic Spindash
F: Fps Lock 60

Controls (Xbox Controller):

Left Analog Stick: Movement
A : Jump & Homing Attack
B : Slide
X : Spindash
B + LT/RT : Classic Spindash
Y : Fps Lock 60

image_2023-08-03_082152847.png
Reactions: J Lawal and Cha_Sw

Latest reviews

Not sure what is being called here "reimagined", since all I see is some test project. Sounds harsh, although I really don't get the appeal. At least Sonic controls ok. Visually it doesn't look great to be honest.
Fanodevy
Fanodevy
The main reason this game is called Green Hill Zone Reimagined is because it was inspired by the Green Hill Zone found in Sonic Adventure 2 as a bonus level.
Except if you prefer the game to be called:
Sonic DEMO with a Green Hill Zone Inspired from SA2 made with Unreal Engine 4.27.2 but with Sonic controls based on Infinity Engine and with completely different level design and gimmicks.
I seriously don't see how you would want to call the game :D
Regarding the visual of the level, you don't have to be a genius to understand that the purpose of the demo it was not to be aesthetic.
Know that the game itself was created in 2 days and that the main goal of the game was people's opinion about the control of sonic and level design, not environment art.
If you could make a more constructive criticism on the objectives of this demo and not just say "At least Sonic controls ok."
that would be cool :]
The controls were fine and the level design solid, even tho I kept bumping into invisible walls, but it wasn't that much of a problem. I played with a controller and the camera was really slow. Overall, I had some fun with this!
Fanodevy
Fanodevy
I'm glad you liked it, I promise the final version won't have as many invisible walls as this one XD

Comments

it has no xbox controller support despite you saying that it has one and the debug mode is still there when pressing the "Apostrophe" key.

it has no xbox controller support despite you saying that it has one and the debug mode is still there when pressing the "Apostrophe" key.
For the problem of the controller which is not compatible, I tested the game with 3 different Xbox controllers and it still works, if you are talking about the game menu however this one is unfortunately not compatible with the controller for the moment.
I let the debug mode because the base game options are quite broken right now.
If you find any other fault with the game (especially the gameplay) , don't hesitate to tell me, I need as much information as possible on what needs to be modified to make the final version of the game even better.

I enjoyed this, however small it is AND with the many notes I have as to what I think it needs to have to be better. This is a solid start if you decide to continue working on this project.

I'll start with the positives:

-Sonic feels light to control.

-Moves are quick to perform.

-Chaining homing attack is quick to perform.

-The alternate routes are appreciated and help give the level more depth.

Now for the criticisms:

-Dash panels seem to lock the player controls momentarily, which doesn't feel great. Though from my understanding, this is a default feature in the Infinity Engine.

-Slowdown when hitting a checkpoint at high speeds ruins the pacing of the game, though I understand this is a also default Infinity Engine feature.

-Loops feel unintuitive to run through. Not impossible, but unless you realize to just hold forward when running through a loop-de-loop, it could be potentially unclear to pass. If you locked the camera behind Sonic when passing through loops, it would be easier to understand how to navigate those sections.

-Mouse controls did not function for me at all.

-Sonic does not speed up when going down loops or slopes in the level. It loses the thrill of running downwards.

-Spindash only propels Sonic forward in whatever direction he was facing before he started one with no way to change direction while revving up. You also can't change direction during spindash.

-During the dark section of the level, it's hard to see where rings and springs are without turning graphic settings down.

-Sonic's character model seems to ever so slightly drift after hitting the goal ring.

-No way to exit the game without having to press the quit button on the main menu.

-No pause button or menu button in-game.

-Hitboxes on the spike bars towards the end of the level feel feel inconsistent. It's visually confusing as it looks like I can single-jump over them, and it's unclear without taking damage that I have to double-jump over them. Sometimes I could pass through the last one without sliding, sometimes I need to. It almost seems like it depends on where you're positioned under the spike bar.

-Need to constantly control the camera, if it was anchored to be behind Sonic at all times by default, would feel a lot more comfortable.

-No way to lower audio.

-The darkness makes seeing the platforms/steps during cave(?) section of the level too hard to see.

-No homing reticle to tell when you're in range to home in on something as well as tell if you'll perform a double-jump instead.

-I recommend adding the ability to move while crouching to avoid potentially getting stuck when sliding under walls. This happened to me. I wasn't completely stuck as I could spindash my way out in increments, but it wasn't ideal.

-The end of the last loop-de-loop in the level (right before the trail of rings that lead to the goal) is modeled in such a way that Sonic will run on the side of the slope instead of following the path.

-clicking the Press Start button after pressed once will reset the transition animations for Modern Sonic as many times as you click it until the 2nd menu.

But overall, you've done a good job with this, and a solid foundation.

I enjoyed this, however small it is AND with the many notes I have as to what I think it needs to have to be better. This is a solid start if you decide to continue working on this project.

I'll start with the positives:

-Sonic feels light to control.

-Moves are quick to perform.

-Chaining homing attack is quick to perform.

-The alternate routes are appreciated and help give the level more depth.

Now for the criticisms:

-Dash panels seem to lock the player controls momentarily, which doesn't feel great. Though from my understanding, this is a default feature in the Infinity Engine.

-Slowdown when hitting a checkpoint at high speeds ruins the pacing of the game, though I understand this is a also default Infinity Engine feature.

-Loops feel unintuitive to run through. Not impossible, but unless you realize to just hold forward when running through a loop-de-loop, it could be potentially unclear to pass. If you locked the camera behind Sonic when passing through loops, it would be easier to understand how to navigate those sections.

-Mouse controls did not function for me at all.

-Sonic does not speed up when going down loops or slopes in the level. It loses the thrill of running downwards.

-Spindash only propels Sonic forward in whatever direction he was facing before he started one with no way to change direction while revving up. You also can't change direction during spindash.

-During the dark section of the level, it's hard to see where rings and springs are without turning graphic settings down.

-Sonic's character model seems to ever so slightly drift after hitting the goal ring.

-No way to exit the game without having to press the quit button on the main menu.

-No pause button or menu button in-game.

-Hitboxes on the spike bars towards the end of the level feel feel inconsistent. It's visually confusing as it looks like I can single-jump over them, and it's unclear without taking damage that I have to double-jump over them. Sometimes I could pass through the last one without sliding, sometimes I need to. It almost seems like it depends on where you're positioned under the spike bar.

-Need to constantly control the camera, if it was anchored to be behind Sonic at all times by default, would feel a lot more comfortable.

-No way to lower audio.

-The darkness makes seeing the platforms/steps during cave(?) section of the level too hard to see.

-No homing reticle to tell when you're in range to home in on something as well as tell if you'll perform a double-jump instead.

-I recommend adding the ability to move while crouching to avoid potentially getting stuck when sliding under walls. This happened to me. I wasn't completely stuck as I could spindash my way out in increments, but it wasn't ideal.

-The end of the last loop-de-loop in the level (right before the trail of rings that lead to the goal) is modeled in such a way that Sonic will run on the side of the slope instead of following the path.

-clicking the Press Start button after pressed once will reset the transition animations for Modern Sonic as many times as you click it until the 2nd menu.

But overall, you've done a good job with this, and a solid foundation.
It was very well detailed ,thank you so much for your feedback it helps a lot :]

Item information

Added by
Fanodevy
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
2.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item