don't click here

(VERY OLD DEMO) Sonic Test Labs: First Demo

General Information

WARNING WARNING WARNING

THIS VERSION OF THE GAME IS HEAVILY OUT OF DATE AND NO LONGER REPRESENTS THE CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME.
PLEASE CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW FOR A MORE UP-TO-DATE VERSION.

LINK TO NEWEST VERSION

WARNING WARNING WARNING

SonicTestLabsLogoCropped.png

Welcome to Sonic: Test Labs!

Here at Hedgehog Testing Inc., we take the matter of rogue and spikey rodents very seriously. They're a threat and a menace to society!

So what have we decided to do? Take matters into our own hands by capturing these creatures and studying them to their fullest extent. All sponsored by G.U.N. of course!

Join us in our trial consisting of
2 fully-fledged facilities! We've also got 1 facility that can be used as a testing ground!

Why wait? Give us a shot and let us know what you think!

DownloadButton.png

Follow us on Twitter!

We are no longer looking for composers! Thank you for applying!

Xbox Layout
A button - Jump/Homing attack
X button - Homing attack
Y button - Light Speed Dash
Left Bumper - Perform Trick
Right Bumper - Roll/Spin Dash
Left Stick - Movement
Right Stick - Camera

Keyboard Layout
Spacebar - Jump/Homing attack
Left Click - Homing attack
Left Shift - Light Speed Dash
Right click - Perform Trick
Left Control - Roll/Spin Dash
WASD - Movement
Mouse - Camera

Media

HighresScreenshot00008.png

Screenie1.png

HighresScreenshot00004.png

Screenie3.png

Screenie5.png

Latest reviews

Perhaps I've expected too much. I've enjoyed the demo but the mechanics don't feel as fun as I wanted them to be watching the trailer. Sonic feels kinda heavy, so sometimes it's hard to reach for homing attack targets. I'm also not the fan of how Sonic looks but that's just my biased take. This demo also suffers from FPS issues, since for some reason the game runs good only when I play it on Windowed mode. Borderless mode cuts FPS in half or just makes the game choppy. This was also why I got stuck in walls and barrels whenever there was stuttering. What's here is promising overall, so I'll be waiting for the final build in the future (if it comes that is).
Last edited:
Reactions: Arionic
ESP
Tiene el potencial de ser un juego muy disfrutable, las animaciones de Sonic son muy chulas y el estilo que han escogido le da un toque cartoon a Sonic que no le viene mal, la música se disfruta, me han dado ganas de ponerme a Speedrunear el segundo nivel al tener muchas maneras de conseguir puntos para el rango S aun siendo enfocado en correr sin parar.

Ahora, el porque
no son 5 estrellas es porque hay un bug que hace que las físicas no funcionen como deberían en algunas partes, (Mi teoría es) que es porque mi ordenador llega por los pelos a 30fps jugándolo, pero aun con ese bug el juego es muy divertido, si te ha llamado la atención el tráiler créeme que pasaras un buen rato jugándolo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ENG
It has the potential to be a very enjoyable game, the Sonic animations are very cool and the style they have chosen gives a cartoon touch to Sonic that does not come badly, the music is enjoyable, It made me want to Speedrun the second level for the many ways to get points for the S rank, even if its focused on running without stopping at full speed.

Now, why dont 5 stars, is because there is a bug that makes the physics to not work as they should in some parts, (My theory is) that is because my computer strugles reaching 30fps playing it, but even with that bug the game is prety fun, if you liked the trailer believe me, you will take a good time playing it.
Michael4Numbers
Michael4Numbers
Yeah unfortunately the physics do struggle because of lower FPS. Not much I can do about that since Unreal runs in a certain way. Sorry about that! Thank you for the review though!

Comments

I have a few things to say. 1. For some reason, certain homing chains will hurt you for no reason. Such as one near the end of the oil rig level. 2. Wall running is janky as all get out. 3. This one tiny ramp in Rowdy Roadway doesn't work no matter how much speed I have.

I have a few things to say. 1. For some reason, certain homing chains will hurt you for no reason. Such as one near the end of the oil rig level. 2. Wall running is janky as all get out. 3. This one tiny ramp in Rowdy Roadway doesn't work no matter how much speed I have.
These issues sound a lot like you have lower FPS. It's unfortunately a limitation that I can't fix no matter how much I've tried because of how Unreal Engine works :/

And now I have everything at the lowest settings with FPS at the highest it can go, and unlocked, and it still doesn't work

However, I will say, aside from those two gripes of mine, and the one ramp, this game is pretty well made. Is that a cel shaded art style used for it?

Aside for the bugs mentioned above, the game is prety Fun, it make me wanna "S" Rank the levels men, it has cool style and cool animations too :P
Good luck Developing. :D

I like what's here for the most part. The style is really cool. It controls pretty well. I'm excited to see how you implement Whisper and Tangle. I do have a few gripes, however. I don't know if this is the case with all capsules, but I ran into one and it didn't break, which goes against all muscle memory from 3D Sonic games. There's no feeling of impact to a homing attack, it's like I'm just hitting thin air. I don't like that rolling into a ball is a hold instead of a toggle like in the Adventure games. In the second level, I basically had no idea when the truck turret was firing, so dodging it was annoying. Finally, this might be more a personal thing, but Sonic's pupils and irises look way too small for his eyes. It makes his face look weird.

I like what's here for the most part. The style is really cool. It controls pretty well. I'm excited to see how you implement Whisper and Tangle. I do have a few gripes, however. I don't know if this is the case with all capsules, but I ran into one and it didn't break, which goes against all muscle memory from 3D Sonic games. There's no feeling of impact to a homing attack, it's like I'm just hitting thin air. I don't like that rolling into a ball is a hold instead of a toggle like in the Adventure games. In the second level, I basically had no idea when the truck turret was firing, so dodging it was annoying. Finally, this might be more a personal thing, but Sonic's pupils and irises look way too small for his eyes. It makes his face look weird.
Heya! Thanks for the feedback! This demo is no longer getting updates but the capsules trigger just by walking into them now!
I can understand the homing attack feeling like it has no impact but the main goal was to keep the flow and when I tried adding more impact to them it slowed down the gameplay in a way I didn't really like. I'll be making it an option in the settings to toggle the roll.
I understand the truck turret and I'll try making some charge up sounds so you'll know when its about to strike. And yes... sonic's eyes... the sonic model will get changed LOL. Everyone's got opinions on it. Anyway, thank you so much for your time and for playing our game!

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. the style is super cool and it all around feels really satisfying to control. im excited to see this develop!

Item information

Added by
Michael4Numbers
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Michael4Numbers