don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Veredilia: The Sacred Forest (SAGE 2023 Build)

General Information

Veredilia Centred Alt.png

INTRODUCTION:
Veredilia: The Sacred Forest is a 2D platforming game that takes inspiration from classic platformers such as Sonic, and fighting games like Mortal Kombat. The game aims to be a combination of classic 2D platforming with 1v1 fighting whilst also exploring the large forest of Veredilia across various locales with a wide range of characters, technical movesets, and flashy combos. You can take control of one of 3 characters, each with their own special moves, combos, and super moves. Solve puzzles, uncover secrets, and kick, punch and slash your way to victory, before it's too late. Do you have what it takes?

This is the SAGE 2023 Build which contains 4 fully completed stages, 1 WIP stage, a boss fight, 3 playable characters, a hub world to explore in, and a watchable cutscene complete with voice acting.

SYNOPSIS:
Over 50 thousand years ago, a dark overlord has plotted a dark plan to invade and control the magical forest of Veredilia and its people. Across those thousands of years, he and his army have consistently attempted invasion but have failed due to the incredible diligence, bravery and courage of the Veredilian Resistance, lead by the almighty Caribou King, and thanks to a sacred artefact which keeps the Forest together and protected from the forces of evil. Many generations and thousands of years later into the present day, the dark overlord and his forces have this time located the sacred artefact and once again attempt invasion and fought to the death with the current Caribou King. As a failsafe to make sure this would never happen, he had shattered the artefact into multiple pieces, sacrificing his own life in the process. Now it's up to his two sons, Rein and Toronto the Caribou, as well as a young female Kitsune named Vancouver, to find the artefacts, defeat the dark overlord and his henchmen, and save Veredilia, the Sacred Forest, from eternal domination.

A BIT OF BACKSTORY:
This game had began in roughly April-May 2019 and has undergone many changes and additions, being currently developed in Game Maker Studio 2.3. This was originally developed alongside another Sonic fan game at the same time but due to conflicts with work and social activities in real life, this project has become my main priority. Nonetheless, it takes many inspirations from many of my past fan games, which have been huge learning experiences for me.

This game has become my first original project and game which I plan of commercially selling, after developing a total of nine Sonic fan games, many of which have remained incomplete. Many elements of this game you see will have references to some of those games, most notably my two more recent fan games which were developed in the back end of the 2010s. Also being a hardcore classic Mortal Kombat fan (my favourite in the franchise is Ultimate MK3) fan and also a sucker for combat oriented games like Ninja Gaiden 2, you will see many elements of those games present here as well, such as dial-in combos, MK styled Special Moves, similar looking animations, and even the presence of blood effects. The game is also planned for a Steam release at a future point in development

SCREENSHOTS:
title.png pause7.png pause13.png pause15.png pause10.png pause13.png pause9.png pause3.png pause4.png pause.png

Comments

why do you keep giving your characters such widely spaced-out eyes? looks very disorienting. is that like an artstyle of yours or something

Got this error message the moment I tried using the controls menu to change a key:

of Draw Event
for object objChangeControls:

draw_sprite argument 2 incorrect type (string) expecting a Number (YYGF)
at gml_Object_objChangeControls_Draw_0
############################################################################################
gml_Object_objChangeControls_Draw_0 (line -1)

Once I got past that, though, this was very playable, even if still pretty early. The end-of-level rank system is cool, though if you die even once you basically get F in everything because all the numbers reset. Enemies are basically guaranteed to hurt you because they can attack so much faster than you can, so it basically always makes sense to rush past them instead of fighting... the only reliable way I found to do damage to anything (including the boss) without getting beaten up was using the heavy attack while running past. Shields and checkpoints are kind of hard to see against the scenery. But it's still neat to see a Freedom Planet fangame with this much stuff in it. Graphics are detailed and varied with big backgrounds, characters are well animated and have fun incidental voice lines, there are a handful of cute level gimmicks, running up walls seems to work perfectly. It's early but I'm impressed.

first thing that really jumps out here is that the menu and in game UI are all gorgeous! really love the design work there.

freedom planet seems like a clear inspiration here, but compared with freedom planet this seems to have some pretty different inspirations, and does a lot to faithfully evoke those, from the tone of the cutscenes to the block/parry and attack system. the walljump speed/angle in particular feels perfect for the vibe veredilia's going for. the music and background work create environments that feel good to be in.

some personal preference stuff i would like to see: i'd like to be dumped into a stage before i'm introduced to the hub, just to give me a little more context about the world (and a little currency to think about spending) before i wander around and meet characters. i personally prefer dismounting from rails to be down + A instead of just down because i habitually hold down on rails for some reason, but that's just me lol. i also think rails could stand to be just a bit faster.

overall very cute game and i'll be keeping an eye out for that steam release!

Got this error message the moment I tried using the controls menu to change a key:

of Draw Event
for object objChangeControls:

draw_sprite argument 2 incorrect type (string) expecting a Number (YYGF)
at gml_Object_objChangeControls_Draw_0
############################################################################################
gml_Object_objChangeControls_Draw_0 (line -1)

Once I got past that, though, this was very playable, even if still pretty early. The end-of-level rank system is cool, though if you die even once you basically get F in everything because all the numbers reset. Enemies are basically guaranteed to hurt you because they can attack so much faster than you can, so it basically always makes sense to rush past them instead of fighting... the only reliable way I found to do damage to anything (including the boss) without getting beaten up was using the heavy attack while running past. Shields and checkpoints are kind of hard to see against the scenery. But it's still neat to see a Freedom Planet fangame with this much stuff in it. Graphics are detailed and varied with big backgrounds, characters are well animated and have fun incidental voice lines, there are a handful of cute level gimmicks, running up walls seems to work perfectly. It's early but I'm impressed.
Hey there, thanks for the review, I'm happy with it. Enemy AI was something I have been planning to fix up for a while to be smarter and less aggressive on Normal Difficulty, and I am planning to dumb down the boss difficulty as well. Though I would recommend blocking as well, so that you don't get your ass beat up 24/7. Anyways, thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to getting back to this game to make some improvements which I think are worthwhile.

first thing that really jumps out here is that the menu and in game UI are all gorgeous! really love the design work there.

freedom planet seems like a clear inspiration here, but compared with freedom planet this seems to have some pretty different inspirations, and does a lot to faithfully evoke those, from the tone of the cutscenes to the block/parry and attack system. the walljump speed/angle in particular feels perfect for the vibe veredilia's going for. the music and background work create environments that feel good to be in.

some personal preference stuff i would like to see: i'd like to be dumped into a stage before i'm introduced to the hub, just to give me a little more context about the world (and a little currency to think about spending) before i wander around and meet characters. i personally prefer dismounting from rails to be down + A instead of just down because i habitually hold down on rails for some reason, but that's just me lol. i also think rails could stand to be just a bit faster.

overall very cute game and i'll be keeping an eye out for that steam release!
Hey there, sorry for late reply but thanks for your review! Despite what many think, Freedom Planet is not the primary inspiration for this game, even though it may seem like it. Mortal Kombat (more specifically UMK3 and MK5) and Ninja Gaiden 2 (the 3D one), were my 2 main inspirations outside of Sonic (I reckon more of an influence than Sonic anyway), as well as inspiration from Bloodsport, which is a 1989 martial arts tournament movie. As such, the game should be played with the mindset of either an MK or NG player, as otherwise you will get destroyed, trust me. The combo system is nothing like that from Freedom Planet.

I do plan on making further improvements which will address issues brought up here as part of a Post-SAGE demo, such as improving enemy and boss AI and some bug fixes. Once again, I thank you for review and for showing interest in my project.

Item information

Added by
giga6152
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

More from giga6152

Share this item