don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo EdelSuche (SAGE '23 Demo)

General Information

bannerIchiIo2.png
Our first game!

EdelSuche is a Rockman-style-doujin-ish-action-platformer game where you play as Cecilia Wonderwand, a mage apprentice who finds herself in need to save the world from "The Rot".

Wanna know more about Otaku TeamWorks? Here are our links!

https://linktr.ee/otakuteamworks

WARNING
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a free demo and it's still in beta, be aware that bugs are expected, although we did not found anything game-breaking yet. If you found any bug, feel free to report it on our Discord server at https://discord.gg/gcg27y3zSE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Controls (not customizable yet!)

Arrow Keys/D-Pad/Left Analog: Move

Z/Sony Cross/Xbox A/Nintendo B: Jump/UI Accept

X/Sony Square/Xbox X/Nintendo Y: Shoot

X/Sony Circle/Xbox B/Nintendo A: UI Cancel

Enter/Sony Options/Xbox Start/Nintendo Plus: Pause

You can charge the Magic Missile by holding down the Shoot button and you can Slide by holding down the "Down" direction and jumping!
Reactions: NatsukiForces

Latest reviews

It's a decent game and I had a fun, challenging time with it. My main problem is the game's lack of visual identity. Some of the sprites, particularly the smaller enemies and ground tiles, feel generic. They're still solid but feel like they could go in just about any game, although the main character and boss designs are cute. The physics are able to capture the Mega Man/Rockman feel, and fit the level design like a glove. However, despite Mega Man being a great blueprint to base a new game upon (and this game replicates it very well), I can't help but wish for some expansion on the formula to set EdelSuche apart from its source material.
46nuko
46nuko
Hey Natsuki! Thanks for your review!
About the visual identity: We are currently working on that. We had problems regarding the artists, as the two people credited for the tilesets and background quit, so we are currently reviewing all of our art direction with a new artist!
We are also preparing some new mechanics to expand the Rockman formula and stand out more!
Again, thank you so much for the feedback, We're glad you liked it, and we hope to get that sweet 5-star review with the next versions! We were very anxious about our first review, and we are happy that it came out like this.

Comments

This is pretty solid so far! The character designs are cute and you did nail that classic Mega Man gameplay. The higher res pixel art also made me very nostalgic for older doujin games from the 00's.

The bosses did give me some trouble, but I guess that's to be expected in a game like this. I also do agree it'd be neat to see how you plan to differentiate it more from classic Mega Man.

Still, really neat to see and I hope development goes well!

This is pretty solid so far! The character designs are cute and you did nail that classic Mega Man gameplay. The higher res pixel art also made me very nostalgic for older doujin games from the 00's.

The bosses did give me some trouble, but I guess that's to be expected in a game like this. I also do agree it'd be neat to see how you plan to differentiate it more from classic Mega Man.

Still, really neat to see and I hope development goes well!
Hey Kappa! Thanks for the comment :)
We're so happy that you got a nostalgic feeling regarding year 2000s doujin games, that was exactly what we were aiming at (Rosenkreuzstilette 3? lol) and we are glad that we could make it!
Still, we are planning to give it a little bit of freshness without diverging too much from the Mega Man series (this is a doujin, after all!).
Thanks for playing, see ya next version!

I’m always down to check out a classic Mega Man inspired game and this one is pretty alright so far. The controls are replicated very well and the level design feels fair and well designed for the most part. The 2 bosses on offer here are also pretty decent, having manageable and learnable patterns while not being too easy or too hard. I had a fun time and I’ll keep an eye out for this one in the coming years. With that said, some small points good and bad that happened to pop into my head while playing, sorry if this comes off as nitpicky or whatever:

• The old doujin look and feel is rather charming
  • I liked the secrets and small extra paths. Those are well done and fun to find
  • The fairies coming out of the houses having color variations is cute and charming
  • The very start of Salamander’s stage didn’t give me the best first impression. You move right and you immediately have an enemy quickly running towards you with very little time to react, which felt kinda unfair. Maybe there can be a small hole before the enemy to give the player more time to react and it can teach that the enemy jumps once it reaches a ledge? I dunno, just felt like a cheap shot.
  • I feel like some things could be telegraphed a bit more. For example, the zombie miners have marked spots on the floor where they’ll pop up, but they also pop up almost instantly. Maybe some rocks/rubble could fly out of the ground a bit before they pop up to give more of a warning? Another example, in Entoria’s stage the falling platforms have no tell they’ll fall when you stand on them. Maybe they can shake a bit before falling? (There was a falling platform at the start of the stage to teach the player they fall, but it can easily be skipped/jumped over and the next time you interact with them is over spikes, so I feel it would help players who did that from being surprised)
  • The screw enemies that shoot out 5 shots in Salamander’s stage sometimes blend in with the background
  • The special weapons/spells felt kinda generic
  • Stages felt just a little bit on the shorter side
  • Taking enemies straight out of Mega Man can make the game feel derivative/lacking identity. I’d personally recommend doing that sparingly or maybe adding a twist to help it stand out. That’s just me though
  • This is going to seem kinda dumb, but I’m only going to mention it because I’ve seen it be a problem in other Mega Man like games. In Mega Man, when you get towards the top of a ladder Mega Man hunches over the top which keeps his hitbox from going over the top of the ladder. In this, Cecilia doesn’t do that. Just something to keep in mind when placing enemies near ladders. Again, I’ve seen other Mega Man likes not have the ladder hunch and it led to some awkward/annoying moments
That’s all that came to mind. Sorry if that came off as overly nitpicky or too long to read. Feel free to ignore me if I’m spouting nonsense or whatever. Good luck with the game, I’ll be keeping an eye on this one.

I’m always down to check out a classic Mega Man inspired game and this one is pretty alright so far. The controls are replicated very well and the level design feels fair and well designed for the most part. The 2 bosses on offer here are also pretty decent, having manageable and learnable patterns while not being too easy or too hard. I had a fun time and I’ll keep an eye out for this one in the coming years. With that said, some small points good and bad that happened to pop into my head while playing, sorry if this comes off as nitpicky or whatever.
Hey Spinopon! Thanks for the comment :))
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was busy with my master's degree, and I also got sick... Anyway!
We're taking all of your feedback into account and it will be discussed at the next meeting (as well as all the other feedback!).
And no, you were NOT nitpicking in any shape or form! Your feedback is very important! This is our first game after all and we are looking for this type of feedback.
Thank you so much, and see you next demo!

Item information

Added by
46nuko
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item