don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Framework Dash Engine 1.3

General Information

Cinematic1.png

Dash Engine 1.3 is the newest release of the original Unreal Engine 4 fangame framework. Features new systems, optimizations, graphical improvements, and more to help you make fangames!
Here’s some of what’s been added and changed for Dash Engine 1.3;

• Optimizations: A lot of optimizations have been made, alongside cleaner blueprints too. More code uses Timelines rather than timers, a lot of older blueprints have been made more readable, etc.
  • Overhauled Grinding: The grind rail system has been completely overhauled. Grind rails use a Timeline system to allow for proper physics when grinding; Sonic will gain and lose speed naturally while grinding down and up rails! This speed can be amplified further with the new Grind Crouch skill; hold Duck while grinding to move faster (or slower)!
  • Improved Adventure Sonic: Adventure Sonic has been rather neglected in prior versions of Dash Engine, but 1.3 changes this. Rolling has been fixed, the Dropdash and Bounce can be used together, and the character model has been fixed up; goodbye 06 Sonic, hello green-leather bronze-buckle shoes!
  • Slope Physics: Sonic will properly gain and lose speed when running on all inclines, not just steep ones. This is amplified by rolling or sliding!
  • Wisp Improvements: The Wisps were introduced in Dash 1.2 and have since received several improvements. They start a little faster, Laser properly bounces off of walls, visuals for Wisps have been greatly improved, etc!
  • Proper Game Options: Dash Engine has always been either inconsistent, lacking, or a mixture of the two in terms of the options it provides; Dash 1.2 ended up with nothing! Dash 1.3 however solves this, providing common Audio, Graphic, Control, and Game settings to toggle with!
  • Sample Assets: Some sample assets are included with Dash 1.3, including some custom 3D stuff based on objects and decor from Sonic 1's Marble Zone, Spring Yard Zone, and Starlight Zone! Some music from different Sonic games, mainly Unleashed, are also included and properly loop via their sound cues!
Despite all of the progress and improvements made in Dash 1.3, it's still not everything that I wanted to do! College and general life made me loose steam on the project, but the state it's in now for Sage '23 is something I'm content with.
Expect updates to the GitHub repository every once in a while! I might end up finding time down the road to finishing everything else up!

Because the project files and packaged demo are larger than what SFGHQ can process, download links are below. The GitHub repository is also down below too!

PROJECT FILES
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/YakuzaBalooza/Dash-Engine-1.3
The GitHub repository has the latest, most recently updated files! This includes any hotfixes I do before or during SAGE '23!

PACKAGED DEMO

! ! ! IMPORTANT ! ! !
It is recommended to have some prior knowledge of navigating and using Unreal Engine 4 to get the most out of Dash Engine.
Dash Engine 1.3 was developed using UE4 4.27, and as such is not compatible with other versions of Unreal Engine.

Dash Engine uses a lot of particles created using UE4's Cascade system. Cascade is deprecated in UE5 and replaced with Niagara, and as such UE5 is not recommended for use with Dash 1.3.
Project credits can be found in the special Credits scene on the Main Menu.
Dash Engine requires a unique compilation method. Please see the GitHub repository linked above for more information.

Happy creating!

Comments

I can't seem to open it. It's giving me this error:
LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 153]
ICU data directory was not discovered

Apologies if anyone encountered a white screen error when booting up the demo! The Sage '23 splash movie wasn't being packaged properly. Demo links have been updated!

I can't seem to open it. It's giving me this error:
LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 153]
ICU data directory was not discovered
I have never seen an error such as this before and unfortunately don't entirely know what would fix it exactly.
I would recommend trying to do what Staz_Lincord lists in their reply on this UE4 forum thread relating to the ICU error.

Hey, I downloaded the Unreal Engine, the Microsoft Visual Studio, and the Dash Engine 1.3, but for whatever reason when I tried to open the unreal engine file for the editor, it said I needed an app that didn't exist, I do have the Unreal Engine, what should I do? I can load the demo but I can’t actually go into the Unreal Engine and actually start making levels…

Last edited:
Hey, I downloaded the Unreal Engine, the Microsoft Visual Studio, and the Dash Engine 1.3, but for whatever reason when I tried to open the unreal engine file for the editor, it said I needed an app that didn't exist, I do have the Unreal Engine, what should I do? I can load the demo but I can’t actually go into the Unreal Engine and actually start making levels…
If you followed the linked video correctly, the project should compile correctly. What app did it say you had to have installed?

If you followed the linked video correctly, the project should compile correctly. What app did it say you had to have installed?
I can load the demo and play it just fine, it’s just for whatever reason I’m having a hard time putting the project in the Unreal Engine so I can actually create levels

I can load the demo and play it just fine, it’s just for whatever reason I’m having a hard time putting the project in the Unreal Engine so I can actually create levels
Are you following the process in the setup video (Visual Studio components correct?) or are you trying to drag/import the files into a fresh Unreal project?

Are you following the process in the setup video (Visual Studio components correct?) or are you trying to drag/import the files into a fresh Unreal project?
I’m trying to find a way to open the file so it can load in a new Unreal Engine project, I have the visual studio, Im just trying to how to actually open the editor.

I’m trying to find a way to open the file so it can load in a new Unreal Engine project, I have the visual studio, Im just trying to how to actually open the editor.
Ensure that all necessary components for Visual Studio have been installed.
You'll have to generate visual studio files. Right click the UE4 Project icon and select Generate Visual Studio Project Files (if it asks for an engine version select 4.27 as this was the version of Unreal used for Dash 1.3).

Edit: After rereading your reply, you said you're trying to load in a "new UE project." Dash Engine cannot do this. You can do the above and open up the downloaded project files, then use those to make your fangame. You cannot put Dash Engine into a clean, empty UE4 project.

Ensure that all necessary components for Visual Studio have been installed.
You'll have to generate visual studio files. Right click the UE4 Project icon and select Generate Visual Studio Project Files (if it asks for an engine version select 4.27 as this was the version of Unreal used for Dash 1.3).

Edit: After rereading your reply, you said you're trying to load in a "new UE project." Dash Engine cannot do this. You can do the above and open up the downloaded project files, then use those to make your fangame. You cannot put Dash Engine into a clean, empty UE4 project.
Okay, I got Unreal Engine 5.23 I beileve, does that still work?

Okay, I got Unreal Engine 5.23 I beileve, does that still work?
I don't believe UE5 would work with Dash 1.3, primarily due to the Cascade particle system from UE4 (which a lot of particles in Dash use) being deprecated in UE5 (replaced by Niagara).

I don't believe UE5 would work with Dash 1.3, primarily due to the Cascade particle system from UE4 (which a lot of particles in Dash use) being deprecated in UE5 (replaced by Niagara).
Got it, so if I get Unreal Engine 4.27, then I have to load the project by loading the visual files from the file I normally would open to play the demo?

Got it, so if I get Unreal Engine 4.27, then I have to load the project by loading the visual files from the file I normally would open to play the demo?
  1. Install UE4 4.27
  2. Ensure that Visual Studio has all needed components installed.
  3. When 4.27 is installed, right click project file and generate visual studio files for UE4 4.27
Do that and the project should open properly.

1. Install UE4 4.27
  3. When 4.27 is installed, right click project file and generate visual studio files for UE4 4.27
Trying it right now

1. Install UE4 4.27
Well, for whatever reason when I try to right click the dash engine application like I would open the demo to play it, it won’t let me open it with Microsoft Visual Studio, and I am sure I installed all the components

Well, for whatever reason when I try to right click the dash engine application like I would open the demo to play it, it won’t let me open it with Microsoft Visual Studio, and I am sure I installed all the components
Please send some screenshots of what you're doing.
You have to first Generate Visual Studio Project Files, with the specified build of UE4 being 4.27, then you can open the uproject file like normal.

Please send some screenshots of what you're doing.
You have to first Generate Visual Studio Project Files, with the specified build of UE4 being 4.27, then you can open the uproject file like normal.
I downloaded 4.27, what file do I need to generate the studio files for? Because I can do that for the file as a whole but I can't do that for the actual demo itself, only the folders.

I downloaded 4.27, what file do I need to generate the studio files for? Because I can do that for the file as a whole but I can't do that for the actual demo itself, only the folders.
Oh wait, you aren't trying to use the packaged demo for this process right?
The packaged demo is an executable file. You can't use that within UE4, as its not a uproject file.

The project files can be found at the GitHub link on this booth page. On the GitHub repo is a video link to Nova's guide on setting up Dash Engine (ignore the "dash-gen.exe" part, the video is old and from Dash 1.1 but everything else still applies save for UE4 version).

Oh wait, you aren't trying to use the packaged demo for this process right?
The packaged demo is an executable file. You can't use that within UE4, as its not a uproject file.

The project files can be found at the GitHub link on this booth page. On the GitHub repo is a video link to Nova's guide on setting up Dash Engine (ignore the "dash-gen.exe" part, the video is old and from Dash 1.1 but everything else still applies save for UE4 version).
Ah, I was using the Google Drive one, that makes more since now.

I have never seen an error such as this before and unfortunately don't entirely know what would fix it exactly.
I would recommend trying to do what Staz_Lincord lists in their reply on this UE4 forum thread relating to the ICU error.
I don't know what happened, but the new update for the demo fixed my issue.

Item information

Added by
YakuzaBalooza
Views
Comments
Last update

More from YakuzaBalooza

• Sonic Other World
    Explore a strange new world filled with odd locations in this fan-game...

Share this item