don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Croaking Around (SAGE 2023 Demo)

General Information

regularlogo.png
Croaking Around is a platformer where you play as a little frog with a strechy tongue.

Our little amphibian friend falls down to the deepest parts of the city sewers.
He's gonna need to do a lot of platforming to get back up (or a very long ladder I guess idk).

Use your tongue to pull, sling and swing acrobatically to get around the hazardous underground.
The game focuses on simple platforming gameplay combined with spectacular aerial acrobatics and a cute cartoony artstyle.
It's pure fun for the whole family (it's singleplayer so you're going to have to take turns sorry).

fsdfsd.gif

image_066_0001.png

Complete additional objectives in each level to earn stars.
Maybe, just maybe you'll even get something as a reward but who knows...

The demo features 5 levels from the game.
Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers.

ok.png

Screenshots

image_003_0000.png image_011_0000.png image_039_0001.png image_069_0001.png image_066_0001.png image_098_0002.png

Social Media:

If you'd like to keep up with this games progress, you can find me on this shithole of a website:

Latest reviews

While the controls that are in the game work fine and are intuitive, I feel the camera works against them. This game's camera reacts to your every movement, making your jumps not as accurate as you wished since the scene is moving so much when you move. I'd suggest making the camera not as reactive to the vertical movement of the player and clamp down it's reaction to the horizontal movement slightly as well, but not as strongly.

Aside from this issue the game works as smooth as butter, the mechanics are very easy to grasp and everything works as you'd expect minus a very lenient wall jumping that is always active as soon as you have the jump button pressed, leading to some unwanted wall jumps that lead to your death, as there is no second jump to fix mistakes.

The difficulty level while at first is adequate, it spikes up when you reach the flooding level, which I believe is chapter 4. In this level you will be on a timer as the water starts to rise up and act as a death pit. While this is fine by itself and adds a nice sense of tension and urgency, the lack of checkpoints and slightly high raising speed of the water makes this level quite punishing with barely any chance to make mistakes, as the water will eat you up rather quickly. Lowering the raise speed a bit and adding checkpoints after the draining switches would be a welcome change.

Overall, a solid game with good ideas, solid execution, nice art direction and a soundtrack that mixes well with every situation.

I'm looking forward to see the full package.
Reactions: scallybag
scallybag
scallybag
Thanks for the nice words! Very interesting point about the camera I didn't really expect it. Definitely something I'll fiddle with and see if I can make it feel better.
Mechano
Mechano
Thank you for the game! I feel removing sensitivity to the camera as it zooms out could be a nice change too so it would be easier to track the smaller elements on screen.
Croaking Around is an amazing, eye catching game. First and foremost, the game is absolutely gorgeous! Both the comic panel intro and the stages are beautiful. The main character is well designed as well and he has a loveable personality!
The game play is really fun as well, not to mention addictive! I had quite a hard time putting this one down to go on to the next one. I look forward to spending more time with this demo after SAGE and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this project. IMHO I think you have something special on your hands!
Reactions: scallybag

Comments

Ended up enjoying this a lot, really good platform challenges and a great aesthetic. There was a jump in the 4th level that was so tight I couldn't get passed it. Wished there was an option to make it so you held the button down to swing and released it to make him jump off, as a lot of my deaths were from accidental double tapping the button on a swinging arc, including the 2-3 times out of 20 on that excessively tight jump.

Ended up enjoying this a lot, really good platform challenges and a great aesthetic. There was a jump in the 4th level that was so tight I couldn't get passed it. Wished there was an option to make it so you held the button down to swing and released it to make him jump off, as a lot of my deaths were from accidental double tapping the button on a swinging arc, including the 2-3 times out of 20 on that excessively tight jump.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I have a pretty good guess which tricky jump you're talking about so that's definitely changing. The option to hold the button down is probably a good idea, I'll probably include that.

I wanted to give this one a shot as it looks really fantastic and seemed to be the right style of gameplay for me, but as soon as I press the "New Game" button, the screen turns black and the game is not responding. Now, that most likely comes from my old-ass computer and its out-of-date components, but I wished I could have given this game a try ^^ Is there any way to get logs or anything on this kind of problem?

I wanted to give this one a shot as it looks really fantastic and seemed to be the right style of gameplay for me, but as soon as I press the "New Game" button, the screen turns black and the game is not responding. Now, that most likely comes from my old-ass computer and its out-of-date components, but I wished I could have given this game a try ^^ Is there any way to get logs or anything on this kind of problem?
It's possible the intro cutscene doesn't want to load since it's something that's been a problem before. If that's the case you should still be able to skip the cutscene with enter. It could also just be taking a while to load so you could see if waiting does it. If it's neither then I'll have to look into what else could be causing it.

It's possible the intro cutscene doesn't want to load since it's something that's been a problem before. If that's the case you should still be able to skip the cutscene with enter. It could also just be taking a while to load so you could see if waiting does it. If it's neither then I'll have to look into what else could be causing it.
OK, I'll give it a shot and keep you posted!

Item information

Added by
scallybag
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item