don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 Sonic Blast Next

Overview

Sonic Blast Next was started around 2-3 years ago, most of it had to be put on hold to develop the frame work (Sonic Worlds Next)

This projects aim is to be a showcase of what you can do with that framework using Godots features, for Christmas SAGE I'm presenting a single level demo as that's all I had time since finishing Worlds next to clean up, play as either Sonic or Knuckles and make it through the level as fast as you can in this Sega Saturn inspired game.

Sonic Blast Next is a re-imagining of what Sonic Blast would have looked like if it were created for hardware that could actually handle the 3D pre-rendered graphics (or if 3D blast was 2D)

Mixing in new and old, Sonic's new move the jump dash, functions like a double jump but you can charge up a spin dash to make Sonic blast off when he touches the ground!

RenderTest.png

Media

Credits

Sharb - Head Developer and Modeler

Music
Liam (Techdev)
NoveltyMan - Green Hill Cover
Rummy - Eggman modeling and feedback
VAdaPEGA.Art - 1up jingle for xylophone and feedback
Tiniest Turtles - Title Character models, artistic feedback

Latest reviews

Excellent demo. I can't get enough of the GHZ remix and the Sega Saturn-like pixel art is super charming. Hope this gets finished and joins Triple Trouble 16-bit as one of the greats.
T
TakanVR
i agree, somehow got a speedrun time of 55 seconds with knuckles
cool
This is an awesome project. First of all the thing that immediately is noticable is that beautiful prerendered look. It's super charming. Gameplay is 100% perfect and feels so good. This game feels official without a doubt. Level design is very nice. Just amazing all around! Amazing, amazing work. This is already one of my favourite fan games.
Last edited:
Reactions: F108_Star
This game gives off such a unique vibe and I love it. Visuals and presentation were great, controls and level design were solid. I played the level twice and had no issues with it whatsoever. There is a lot of potential here; keep up the good work!
Reactions: F108_Star

Comments

Yoooooo! First thing I want to say about this game, I LOVE the pre-rendered look it has now. Pre-rendered graphics are something I love, and this game does them well. Second, the physics. Sonic is so dang smooth! And while it took me a second to learn how to actually do a proper dropdash(you mash the button to rev in air) it's all great! Even the one level the game has is a blast to play.

This is INCREDIBLE. As a lover of early 3D and 4th & 5th gen pre-rendered graphics, this game is pure eye candy for me. I love how many frames everything has, it's so smooth.
I do think Sonic's secondary air action should be tweaked though, either give him separate buttons for the double jump and the drop dash, or keep it all on one button but have it so that the player has to keep the jump button held that second time when they hit the ground in order to drop dash. Trying to use the double jump for precision platforming was a bit unruly because Sonic would do a tiny drop dash when he hit the ground.
Another thing is that [I'm pretty sure, my memories of Sonic Blast/G Sonic are mostly me trying not to vomit] in the Game Gear original, you had to hit Eggman's cockpit to damage him, but since you can hit any part of his machine to damage him here, the boss is too easy and quick. Obviously the boss stuff is still WIP because of the Game Gear music but I think that's a change that should be prioritized [again, if I'm remembering right]

I took the time out to compile a linux build, I don't really do linux builds because I can't test them but I'm going to trust godot getting it in fine.
ok i messed something up, i re-uploaded it, it should be good now.

Although it is a single level demo, it is very impressive how a game of its time looks, with the very vibrant colors or how fluid the animations are.
As a user who had a Game Gear and the original game, they made me feel happy.
I hope the development lasts over time, greetings.

Any chance of a WORKING download link?
Could you elaborate a bit more? the link on the page seems to work on my end so i'm not sure what one you're talking about, I think the website might have had some issues when you were trying to download

Could you elaborate a bit more? the link on the page seems to work on my end so i'm not sure what one you're talking about, I think the website might have had some issues when you were trying to download
Yeah, it's working now.

Anyway, I am QUITE impressed! My only real qualm, is the mentioned one about being able to hit Robotnik anywhere, which makes the battle WAY too easy.

This is lovely!! I love how the ugly 3D blast look was preserved here it's super charming!! Excellent job! I will say the sound effects are a tad bit too loud. Maybe it's just me but I think the sound effects's volume should be lowered by quite a bit. Besides that this is a really neat little demo!

Even if I'm not trying this at the moment because its a W.I.P., this looks promising: the late 90s vibe & the Genesis/Saturn-like pre-rendered 2D graphics mixed toghether makes this an intresting fan game from the looks of it.
I hope that in the next demo, some more levels and a 4:3 screen ratio get added. With the 4:3 screen ratio option added, this would be more 90s like.

Item information

Added by
Sharb
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 5 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Sharb