don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Sonic Colors Demastered (SAGE '23 Demo)

General Information

Reach for the Stars!
Join Sonic, Tails, and a colorful cast of aliens to put a stop to Eggman’s plans for interstellar domination! Use Sonic’s signature suite of abilities, including the boost, grind, and homing attack, to make your way through exhilarating, high-speed 2D platforming challenges!

New Wisps, New Worlds!
Experience an expanded version of the Sonic Colors Demastered demo including the exciting introduction of Sweet Mountain Zone's first two levels, the orange rocket wisp's debut, and the brand-new costume shop!

Race to Win!
Race through stages to get the fastest time or the highest score in the brand-new Time Attack and Score Attack modes! Plus, with a Game Jolt account you can upload your best scores to the online leaderboards and compete with players from around the world!
(NOTE: A Game Jolt account is required to participate in leaderboard mode)

Screenshots:
Image1.jpg
Image3.jpg
Image6.jpg
Image11.jpg
Image7.jpg
Image4.jpg

Wisps:
BoostCapsule.gif
WHITE WISP
These are the most common wisps you'll find throughout Eggman's Interstellar Amusement Park. Sonic can absorb white wisps to refill his boost gauge. Pick up white wisp capsules or defeat enemies to rescue them!
spr_WispCapsuleLaser.gif
CYAN WISP
This wisp is quite the energetic little guy. When Sonic absorbs one, he can turn into the electrifying Cyan Laser form! Use wisp crystals strewn throughout levels to find shortcuts and defeat enemies. If you hit a laser antenna, you can even travel underground at high speeds!
CubeWisp.gif
BLUE WISP
Sonic can absorb a blue wisp to turn into the three-dimensional Blue Cube form! Press the Color Power Ability button to flip blocks strewn throughout levels and solve puzzles! Be careful though, when the power runs out all the blocks flip back!
wispcapsulerocket.gif
ORANGE WISP
Change forms with an orange wisp for the high-flying rocket from! Soar through the skies to discover secrets and find shortcuts!
WispCapsuleRhythm1.gif
???
???
void.gif
???
???

Controls:
Keyboard:

WASD = Move
Spacebar = Jump/Select
U = Boost
I = Stomp (while in air)
O = Activate Color Power/Color Power Ability
P = Special Action
S (Hold) + Spacebar (Mash) = Spin Dash (while on ground)
S (Hold) + I = Rail Drop (while grinding)

Controller (XInput):
D-Pad = Move
A Button = Jump/Select
X Button = Boost
B Button = Stomp (while in air)
Y button = Activate Color Power/Color Power Ability
R Bumper = Special Action
Down (Hold) + A Button (Mash) = Spin Dash (while on ground)
Down (Hold) + B Button = Rail Drop (while grinding)

(control remapping is fully supported within the game)

Game Progress!
15%

Latest reviews

I found this game totally by chance back in May and was instantly hooked. Since then, I've actually played a bit of Colors Ultimate - my first experience with the real game. I can easily prefer this.

The demo has been greatly expanded upon over the past year, and I. Love. It. I like the idea of the costumes, and the game feels a bit less slippery. Also, Sweet Mountain was neat - although there were a bit too many spikes imho. It's a great game, and I will certainly enjoy perfecting and speedrunning it while waiting for the next demo.

On the costumes - they're a great idea, and it was really smart to make them sold with rings. However, it just feels wrong seeing the Rush sprites with some of the palettes. May I suggest that for certain costumes, there is a sprite swap instead of just a palette swap? Especially for "Est. 1991". The Mania sprites would look great there.

There was one minor glitch I found during the laser rocket part of Sweet Mountain, where I boosted to the edge at the very beginning and could just stay there, perfectly safe from... everything. And another glitch in Starlight Carnival Act 2, where, well...
1694283346154.png

Overall, great game! SEGA, give this man a job already!
Last edited:
Reactions: Sonicpower2001
Very impressive demo.
I like combination of colors and generation playstyles.
It's cool to have all options of appearance and skills customization.
Beautify remade animation from Wii.
Solid level design except some rare moments.
Nice new ost remixes and options to use all other versions of ost.
Some negative thoughts:
  • I wish some of the DS version specific stage gimmicks were included as DS version uses wisps in more interesting ways than Wii. But it just my nitpick.
  • Some protected enemies located very close to platforming section which cases homing attack instead double jump.
  • When jumping into an enemy from below you pushed back down which in case of mission in Starlight carnival can result death.
  • Dialogs before missions feel a little bit long and have unnecessary callbacks to previous games like frontiers.
  • I encountered three bugs related to the rails.
  1. I stuck in stomping animation when trying to stomp a vertical rail.
  2. Jumping from rail to rail in TR chao mission placed me outside the wall and i fall out of bounce with no death animation.
  3. Chase on rails in SM (when badniks shot lasers from the top) doesn't work properly. Sonic either stuck in left or right side of screen without quick way to accelerate or decelerate without using boost or jumping.
Despite that it's amazing work. I really enjoyed playing your demo and getting all S rank and Red Stars. I looking forward to see more of the game.
I love this game. I saw it at SAGE last year and it was one of my highlights. Having played the newest demo I had just as much fun if not more. The developer is clearly developing their vision while also listening to feedback where possible and I really appreciate that. My thoughts:
  • Very fun! One of my favourite levels is Sweet Mountain 1, I was smiling while playing it!
  • Music goes insanely hard
  • Idle animations give a ton of personality to the game
  • The addition of the trick ramps is nice and gives it a bit more of a Rush vibe which I really like, helps to set the game apart from Colors Wii
  • Some ideas to improve/build - maybe stylise the green timing bar that appears at the top just so it isn't a raw green rectangle (but I appreciate you may already be aware of this and want to do it later) also adding analog stick support (I personally use d-pad but I know this is a feature a lot would appreciate). Lastly I'd suggest maybe making the spin dash a bit less spongy/slow and go a bit faster like in Rush, but I'm not sure whether the ABH Rush engine allows you to change physics. But that isn't a major issue
All in all I had a great time and I loved the demo. Looking forward to seeing the updates on your yt channel and you developing your learning from continuing to build this game. Great work!
Reactions: Sonicpower2001
RandomocityGaming
RandomocityGaming
Thank you for leaving such a detailed review, I appreciate the feedback and am glad you enjoyed the demo!

Analog stick support is something that multiple players have brought up so I'm looking into getting that added in a future update. Your feedback about the combo meter was also interesting, I'll give that some thought.

Could you clarify a little on what you meant with the spindash? By "less spongy/slow" are you just saying that you think the spindash at max charge currently doesn't feel fast enough? I'll admit it's been a while since I dusted off my DS and played Rush so I'm forgetting slightly how the spindash felt in that game.

Again, I'm glad you enjoyed the demo and appreciate the feedback!
E
etuevetuevetuev
Yeah I think you understand what I mean. Basically a bit less slower, atm it feels a bit like you are stuck to the ground a little, more than in Rush/Advance when using the spindash. I think you should be able to tell by watching a video on youtube. As long as it's a decent speed then it's no issue. But tbh it's not that huge of a deal since not many will use the spindash, but I find it useful in certain scenarios. Have a great day!!

Comments

I think..I just think this build is broken. The game says ''press start''... I pressed all the buttons on the keyboard, controller and even MOUSE, none starts the game. What's going on, buddy?

I think..I just think this build is broken. The game says ''press start''... I pressed all the buttons on the keyboard, controller and even MOUSE, none starts the game. What's going on, buddy?
The game only supports getting input from one device at a time so I would suggest disconnecting your controller and then pressing "Enter" on the keyboard to try and start the game ("Enter" is the default start button on keyboard). If that doesn't work, try going to "Users/AppData/Local/SonicColorsProject" in your file explorer. If you see a file there called "save_data" try deleting that and then reopening the game. The game supports remappable controls and saves your custom control layout with the save data so maybe your controls somehow got set before starting? It's unlikely but it is possible.

If you're able to get into the game you could then reconnect your controller and see if it works but it may not depending what type you're using.

Quite a few other people have already downloaded the game this year and uploaded footage to sites like YouTube and it seems to work fine for them. I DO remember someone reporting a similar bug last year though so it might be a system specific issue. Do you mind me asking what kind of computer you're playing on, what its specs are, and what type of controller/keyboard you're trying to use?

I'm just gonna say it. I played both demos of this game. And already, this is probably my favorite take on Sonic Colors, next to the DS version. Just like it, this screams so much Sonic Rush influence and I love it for that. It may not have the two screens thing, but it does just about everything Rush does. My one issue is simply having to use the D-pad. But that's a minor one considering how well this game plays.

I'm just gonna say it. I played both demos of this game. And already, this is probably my favorite take on Sonic Colors, next to the DS version. Just like it, this screams so much Sonic Rush influence and I love it for that. It may not have the two screens thing, but it does just about everything Rush does. My one issue is simply having to use the D-pad. But that's a minor one considering how well this game plays.
Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate that! Analog stick support is something I'll consider adding in a future update. More than a few people have mentioned that they'd appreciate having it.

The game only supports getting input from one device at a time so I would suggest disconnecting your controller and then pressing "Enter" on the keyboard to try and start the game ("Enter" is the default start button on keyboard). If that doesn't work, try going to "Users/AppData/Local/SonicColorsProject" in your file explorer. If you see a file there called "save_data" try deleting that and then reopening the game. The game supports remappable controls and saves your custom control layout with the save data so maybe your controls somehow got set before starting? It's unlikely but it is possible.

If you're able to get into the game you could then reconnect your controller and see if it works but it may not depending what type you're using.

Quite a few other people have already downloaded the game this year and uploaded footage to sites like YouTube and it seems to work fine for them. I DO remember someone reporting a similar bug last year though so it might be a system specific issue. Do you mind me asking what kind of computer you're playing on, what its specs are, and what type of controller/keyboard you're trying to use?
For some reason my comment wasn't sent, but here I am again... I'm using an original PS3 controller. I did what you asked me to do, I didn't find any files like that in appdata, and it's increasingly confusing. I tried every possible solution, and still...
btw, Sorry for my empty comment earlier, it must have been an error.

For some reason my comment wasn't sent, but here I am again... I'm using an original PS3 controller. I did what you asked me to do, I didn't find any files like that in appdata, and it's increasingly confusing. I tried every possible solution, and still...
btw, Sorry for my empty comment earlier, it must have been an error.
What version of Windows are you running (7, 8.1, 10, or 11). Are you actually running windows or are you emulating it through an OS emulator like WINE? Is your system a laptop or desktop?

The game officially doesn't support PS3 controllers. Did you try unplugging it and using the keyboard instead?

I know this a bit much, but can you include EVERY known wisp and their Color Powers from the Wii and Nintendo DS versions of Sonic Colors and the Wii U and 3DS versions of Sonic Lost World? That includes the Jade Wisp and their Jade Ghost Color Power from Sonic Colors Ultimate.

Item information

Added by
RandomocityGaming
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from RandomocityGaming

Share this item