don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Cave Story: The Desolate (SAGE 2023 Demo)

General Information

(NOTE: READ THE MANUAL (MANUAL.HTML) FOR CONTROLS AND ANY OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION)
(macOS: If you're on an older version of macOS and you are experiencing issues running the game, please try this build)

Cave Story: The Desolate is a fangame based off of the Cave Story Beta. The Beta had major differences in gameplay compared to the final version released in 2004, with a more hit-and-run style of gameplay and being able to buy weapons and ammunition.

Unfortunately this version of the game (along with the Alpha) are not available publicly and may have become lost media. For those reasons, some people have gone ahead and tried to make their own remakes of this version from limited references scattered online. However, some of these remakes have stopped development or cannot go beyond references for the sake of accuracy.

This fangame seeks to deliver an experience as if this version of the game was finished. This is why it's more akin to a fangame rather than a remake.

The current content in the game includes:
  • 4 boss fights
  • Dim Caves
  • Sand Zone (WIP)
  • Central (WIP)
We hope you enjoy this first demo. Please give us feedback!

Latest reviews

Honestly the fact someone took the prototype of Cave Story and builds upon it is an interesting concept, it's not something I ever thought off so I should give points for originality.
The graphics, music and gameplay all work quite well.
Of course it's not perfect, the menus are clunky for many reasons, mainly because you can't change weapon unless you grab it, unequip it and put it on again, the remove item from inventory button which can lead to frustration if pressed accidentally or the fact that cancel in my controller didn't work so I had to press "x" on my keyboard instead.
The game starts quite in a brutal way too because there are already many obstacles and enemies on the first screens, and also how some of the boss patterns feel unfair and random, also some jerk moves like that bartender attacking you without you having a chance to put in your weapon.
There are a few bugs too, some very weird, like the third Balrog I couldn't damage until I read the sign again, that was weird.
Despite these caviats, I think this project has a lot of effort and sweat put into it and I did enjoy myself, I'd suggest that you insta-equip weapons when you click on them, having a message that says "you want to remove this item?" or something, fix that controller issue, in general make the menu more comfortable, balance the difficulty a bit more, being able to aim up and down like in the og game, oh yeah, and avoiding jerk moves like that one. As an extra I'd like a pixel font too, because the HD font with the pixel graphics are a bit jarring.
if you manage to do those it would make your game something truly special, because I want to see how the narrative goes.
AbsoluteVendingMachine
AbsoluteVendingMachine
Thanks for the review! I'll go over some of the points you mentioned here.

- "The menus are clunky for many reasons, mainly because you can't change weapon unless you grab it, unequip it and put it on again, then remove item from inventory button which can lead to frustration if pressed accidentally or the fact that cancel in my controller didn't work so I had to press "x" on my keyboard instead."

For the equipment of items (as stated in the manual), there are different categories for different types of items, and to ensure no game-breaking happens, items must go to their respective categories (i.e. vulcan revolver to personal, fireball pistol to items). The inventory system was based on the beta so as such design decisions are influenced from there. Although, I will be making it so that removing items isn't instantly destructive. I will also be fixing some of the controller support.

(1/3)
AbsoluteVendingMachine
AbsoluteVendingMachine
- "The game starts quite in a brutal way too because there are already many obstacles and enemies on the first screens, and also how some of the boss patterns feel unfair and random, also some jerk moves like that bartender attacking you without you having a chance to put in your weapon."

These aspects are being reworked.

- "There are a few bugs too, some very weird, like the third Balrog I couldn't damage until I read the sign again, that was weird."

I have seen one-off strange situations like this every once in a while. I haven't been able to replicate these bugs so unfortunately I couldn't really test them. I would like to fix these issues but I can't guarantee I can.

- "I'd suggest that you insta-equip weapons when you click on them, having a message that says "you want to remove this item?" or something"

Unfortunately for the reasons above I won't be implementing this.

- "being able to aim up and down like in the og game"

(2/3)
AbsoluteVendingMachine
AbsoluteVendingMachine
In the beta you could not aim up and down. This decision reflects here.

"As an extra I'd like a pixel font too, because the HD font with the pixel graphics are a bit jarring."

At a point the game did use a pixel font, but this was changed to an HD font for pixel scaling reasons. The original Cave Story (both Japanese and English) used a font of a similar style (Courier) which in later Windows version I believe appears smooth due to the fact we have higher resolution screens nowadays. So this is the reasoning behind the decision for using the current higher resolution font. This may be reconsidered, however.

---

Hope these answers answer some of your concerns about the game :) Glad you enjoyed it despite these issues

(3/3)
I'm a big fan of Cave Story, and it made me really happy seeing another fangame like this! You really got that weird mysterious vibe the original game has down, and it's been neat seeing a weird alternate take on it. The writing is also very reminiscent of the old translation and I appreciate that.

I think my biggest issue aside from the occasional UI weirdness is that the bosses can take a lot of hits to kill? It can get a bit tiring to mash the fire key at them.

Aside from that, I thought it was solid and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes!
AbsoluteVendingMachine
AbsoluteVendingMachine
Thanks for the review!

Yeah, perhaps it would be better to reduce the bosses health, so I'll take that into account for future builds.
Some notes I took while playing:

- Using down to interact with things instead of up really throws off my muscle memory. Was this a trait of the original game? It's been a long time since I played so admittedly that could be on me, but I would still really appreciate the option to interact with things by pressing up like most other games.
- There's a single tile in the Fire Tunnel (directly above the glass block near the first fire enemy in the room) that isn't solid. I don't know if that's intentional (considering there's another one near the door on the right side that visibly has a hole in it), but it's definitely misleading and makes that jump harder than it really ought to be, especially considering you don't even have a gun yet by this point.
- The back button on the controller and the backspace button on keyboard force close the game for some reason? I'm assuming this is some debug thing you forgot to remove when you released to SAGE.
- The shop is completely impossible to exit on controller as far as I can tell. I've tried every button and as far as I can tell, the only way to actually stop shopping is to press X on the keyboard instead. I'd rather not have to juggle control methods to avoid a soft lock.
- I'm really not sure how to beat the
second soap boss
besides to pray to RNG. Its projectiles have no apparent pattern at all like the first encounter did, so I have no real idea how how you're expected to dodge it for that long.

Overall promising start for a WIP. Looking forward to next time. o3ob
AbsoluteVendingMachine
AbsoluteVendingMachine
Thanks for the review! I saw some points you made so I'll respond to those for clarification.

- Yes, that's how the original game was. I may add rebinding in the future, depending on how hard it may be to implement.
- That's intentional, since there are some extra paths / rewards along the way, and that is supposed to teach you to look out for those blocks, both as a hazard and secret. Although I will be making that part less consequential so you can still learn of that but not have to suffer getting sent back at that point.
- Yes this is a debug feature and is intentionally left in, but I don't see why it's consequential to leave in. It actually used to be Escape, which threw off a lot of play testers.
- I could've sworn I added a key to the input map for that, but I will be checking (and fixing this) in future builds.
- The projectiles are based on your position relative to Puu. This will be reworked though, because it is quite a spastic boss fight.

Comments

Hey, I was playing the demo and I equipped the shotgun but when I tried to take it off it wouldn't work so I was stuck using the shotgun.
Did you make sure to put the shotgun in the items section and not the personal section of the inventory? As stated in the manual, items must be delegated to their respective sections of the inventory.

Did you make sure to put the shotgun in the items section and not the personal section of the inventory? As stated in the manual, items must be delegated to their respective sections of the inventory.
I totally forgot to check the manual before I first opened up the game! Thank you I was just super excited to check out the game as a huge cave story fan this project makes me happy that we can finally have a taste of what the beta was like.

There was a brief period where I played a lot of Cave Story mods and got used to seeing the same enemies over and over with different coats of paint... this feels like that, but much more advanced, with everything less predictable and the storyline more mysterious. Lots of little rooms that don't quite make sense because the game isn't going to tell you anything. Authentic! And riding the rocket launcher was hard to pull off but made me feel really clever when it worked. I do wish changing weapons were a lot faster, though, ideally without browsing through the items menu at all. And maybe there could be a sparkly animation over places you're supposed to interact with if they're not otherwise visually obvious, like the Sand Zone statues?

Thank you for the feedback :)

Yeah, I actually hadn't thought of that with the statues, perhaps I could add some butterflies to signify interaction. As for the items menu, this is just how the Cave Story Beta was so I don't know if I'll be changing that

Item information

Added by
AbsoluteVendingMachine
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.67 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item