don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition 2.0

Overview

Title 2.0.png

ITCH.IO LINK

OTHER SUPER FREAKS GAMES AT SAGE:
Super Freaks Presents: Strato-Scruffy (2009)
Super Freaks Classic Pack (2006 - 2016)

They're super. They're freaky! And they star in the secret best platformer this year!
Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition is now fully complete and ready to blow your mind with four player co-op and some of the most methodically designed platformer levels you'll ever experience.

Gameplay

Fruit by the Foot.png

Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition is a 2D platformer featuring single player and up to four player drop-in/drop-out cooperative gameplay.

Go to the right, jump on enemy heads, reach the exit, all of that standard stuff. When you select a level, you can choose between any of the Super Freaks before playing, as well as a whole host of other unlockable characters. There are over 20 characters total!

Every level can be played in one of three difficulty modes (Easy, Normal, Hard) that changes the level layouts. You can also set three modifiers: a Mirror Mode, Fast Forward (speeds everything in the level up by 1.5x with a few exceptions to make it actually possible), and a Game Over screen so you too can suffer permadeath!

Controls

Compared to other platformers, the Super Freaks have a few extra tricks up their hypothetical sleeves, so let’s go over those:
ActionDefault Keyboard/Mouse BindingDefault Gamepad Binding
LeftLeft Arrow Key, ALeft on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
RightRight Arrow Key, DRight on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
UpUp Arrow Key, WUp on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
DownDown Arrow Key, SDown on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
Pause / StartESC, Enter KeyStart Button
Jump / ConfirmZ, Space, Left ClickA on Xbox, X on PlayStation
DenyX, Right ClickB on Xbox, Circle on PlayStation
Bubble (Co-op)C, Right ClickY on Xbox, Triangle on PlayStation
Elastiband Toggle (Co-op)C, QLT on Xbox, L1 on PlayStation
Elastiband Color (Co-op)V, ERT on Xbox, R2 on PlayStation
Drop Out (Co-op)ShiftSelect on Xbox, Home on PlayStation

Moves

Stadium.png

Jump Ball
  • In an attempt to emulate their beloved Uncle Swordsman’s blade, the Super Freaks pioneered a spinning jump attack. Jumping at all will curl the player into a ball, which spins so fast that it’s surrounded by an energy field. This will let the player attack enemies at any angle. If an enemy is big enough, the player will bounce off of it.
Wall Jump
  • You can also wall jump! Hold against a wall in the air to begin sliding against it. Jump again while doing so to jump away from the wall. You can keep jumping between two walls in rapid succession to climb up them.
Climbing
  • You might come across some Climbing Fences in your not really epic journey. When touching a Climbing Fence, press the up button to grab onto the fence. You can climb around in eight directions while grabbing on a fence, and you can let go at any time by jumping off. Be careful though! Some Climbing Fences will begin to move or even fall when you grab on.
  • You can also climb on poles! Press left/right to flip to the other side of the pole.
  • Hooks are another thing you can hang off of. You can simply jump and land on a hook to begin hanging from it. You can either jump off or hold down while pressing jump to fall straight down, both of which will come in handy.
Bubble
  • In cooperative play, joining the game mid-level or pressing the bubble button will place you inside a bubble. When in a bubble, you’ll bounce around the screen, but you can hold the jump or bubble button to move towards another player. The other players will need to pop your bubble to free you. This move is useful if there’s a difficult section you know you can’t do but your friends can! It’s also useful for saving yourself from a bottomless pit at the last minute. Just don’t all of you bubble at the same time!
Elastiband
  • Pressing the Elastiband button will turn on/off your Elastiband. If more than one player has their Elastiband active, you’ll be connected to each other by a big rubber band, like in Knuckles Chaotix. You can yank each other around with the Elastiband, which is good if one of you is falling behind in any way.
  • You can also change the color of your Elastiband between two separate colors, and you will only connect to people with the same color Elastiband.
  • If one of you is dangling in the air below your buddies, you can also hold the down button to lower yourself. Letting go will slingshot you straight up in the air so you can join your friends. Be careful not to dangle too low, or you’ll fall off the bottom of the screen!
Pausing
  • Pressing the pause button…pauses the game! What a concept! There are a few things you can do here though, so it’s actually worth me going into detail. You can choose to restart the level, go back to the last checkpoint you hit (a must if you’re grinding for trophies), or exit the level.
  • There is also a multiplayer option, which depends on which player paused the game. The current "leader" (Player 1 by default unless they disconnect) will have a “kick players” option and can choose to kick the other players for whatever reason. The other players on the other hand will have a “drop out” option instead and can drop out of play this way.
  • You can also remap your controls from the pause menu.
Story Modes

New to 2.0, there are now two full length story modes, featuring different gameplay and characters!

elastiband.png

Super Freaks Story
In this adventure, the Super Freaks have to take down Kranion. The freaks share a heart meter on the bottom left of the screen; collecting yorbs will fill the meter, giving you a heart when it’s full. Collecting hearts and trophies will also give you extra hearts! You can also set the minimum amount of hearts you start with (upon death or starting a level) and the maximum amount of hearts you can have (default is 10, max is 99) before entering a level.

KranionSticky.png

Bad Guys Story
This adventure takes place after the Super Freaks story, and it is recommended that you play it after. Kranion returns home to his castle and finds an imposter has taken it over, forcing him to team up with his eccentric brother Sticky. In this story, the characters all have ego meters that gradually drop to (or raise to if below it) 25%. Getting hit will lower the meter and send you closer to death, but filling it all the way with yorbs, hearts, and trophies will make you temporarily invincible!

Freakloader

New to the game since version 1.1, custom characters can now be added via the “char” folder the game came with. Characters can be downloaded here: Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition | SF1UE | Mods & Resources (gamebanana.com)

Game Modes

Noh Bodee.png

There are a variety of game modes which are pretty dope if you ask me.

Adventure
  • This is the main story mode. Cutscenes will play before and after some levels, which you can fast forward through and/or skip if you don’t like sitting through the stupidest video game storyline you’ve ever seen.
Challenge
  • Free Play
    • You can replay any level you’ve completed without cutscenes or anything. Good for quick plays and practice! You can still grab trophies here to unlock things.
  • Randomizer
    • An endless survival mode. Here, every level you’ve beaten is thrown at you in random order. Unlike in the main game, you are guaranteed to get a game over if you lose your lives, so watch out!
  • Speedrun
    • You must beat several levels back-to-back as fast as possible. At the end, you’ll see your time. There is a total of 10 (!!) speedrun modes; one for each world in the game (unlocked by beating every level including the secret level in that world), one containing every main story level, one containing every secret level, and one featuring every level in the game.
  • Boss Rush
    • The good old boss rush: fight every boss in a row. Your hearts stack between fights, but you can game over here, so don’t slip up!
Museum
  • Character Cards
    • Any character you meet in the game will have a bio appear in this mode. You can read all about that character. This saves me from having to exposition dump during the cutscenes!
  • Movie Theater
    • Wanna watch the X-Freaks get beat up in seconds again? Any cutscene you view in the Adventure mode will appear here for repeated viewing. You can also see the credits!

Updates

v1.0.3 - September 21st, 2023
Thanks everyone for all the freak love! You guys got Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition to #10 on the SFGHQ site (as of today) and 1.0.1 got 218 downloads!! Here is a big update for the game that fixes a lot of bugs--there were surprisingly few, but I'm glad I caught these. It also has an updated Conveyor Castle song and the ability to open the Reconnect Controllers screen from the pause menu. More updates are being worked on!

v1.1.2 - October 31st, 2023
Thanks everyone for continuing to support Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition. 1.0.3 got 98 downloads for a total of 316 before this new version.
Thanks to my friend defnotreal (Go play Mr. Shootem Breaks Out if you haven't) we now have custom characters!!! We call this Freakloader. You can create and add characters with custom sprites and sound effects and they'll be automatically added to the roster (or not, if you add a ! to the beginning of their folder name). We have a Gamebanana modding page as well to facilitate this: Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition | SF1UE | Mods & Resources (gamebanana.com)

v2.0 - December 8th, 2023
Surprise, and Merry Christmas! This is the biggest update to the game since I actually finished it a few months ago. Thanks for getting 1.1.2 to 60 downloads by the way!
2.0 features the new Bad Guys Story, and several new characters to go with it. The length of the game is now doubled and surprisingly, it may take you anywhere from 4-6 hours to 100% the full game.
Thanks to JorJoe05, we also now have a Linux version! I have been told that it runs flawlessly on a Steam Deck, and the 16:10 aspect ratio fits the screen perfectly.

Credits

Main Developer
SuperFreaksDev

World and Character Design
SuperFreaksDev
Kingnormal

Assistant Programmer
defnotreal (did Freakloader and helped with Bad Guys Story)

Music Composers
philRaco
SuperFreaksDev (well a little bit)

Contributors
EngineerKappa (also did the fancy Sonic Adventure styled booth artwork above!)
Metalefactor (Edibles provider)
JorJoe05

Playtesters and Friends
Heather Flaherty
Kevin Doherty
Kingnormal
Metalefactor
EngineerKappa
Halatnikov
JorJoe05
philRaco
AlmyriganHero
MasterDisaster64
LanceCharleson
Spinycemb
PVic
RummySM
Arrietty
Motor Drive
Riegel25
Miles' Games
NULL3D
Yew Bowman
Ethervil

Latest reviews

Super Freaks I'd say is a pretty good experience overall. I've not beaten the other campaign but got a general idea of what it's about. And have not completed the other mode nor gotten 100% but am looking forward to playing more. Compared to some other projects I've seen, this has been the most amount of content with polish I've seen in a good while. A lot of good challenges that ask a lot from the player but never felt super unfair. Despite some small amount of polish that it could use which I won't go over since it's a lot of small parts or really specific instances that happened in my playthrough.

But I'll make some suggestions and general problems that could get worked out for a sequel or a super ultimate ultra deluxe addition (I joke, also this is from a single-player experience):

1. I kind of wish there was more physics and some speed involved. Like I see all these slants and wish there was a slide move to kill enemies without jumping on every single one. In addition to building speed to maintain for time attack or maybe use that extra speed to slide on flat ground to kill tougher enemies in on hit.

2. speaking of speeding up, I kind of also wish there was a sprint. Maybe by double-tapping, you'll start running a bit faster. It's not that necessary but it's nice for smaller parts where nothing is going on or backtracking. (Plus combined with the slide idea you could add more combat options and keep things moving)

3. Another thing about physics, it be very cool if jump off of moving platforms (Mainly ones that are moving up) you would be affected but speed and move further than usual when jumping off of them at the right time.

4. Lastly about movement in general I think jumps could be a bit higher as some platforms can feel a bit tight to get on, not a bit deal bit I would make some sections more natural and I guess easier.

5. I think each brother had their own special attribute it could be some nice variety. Some ideas I had that wouldn't maybe won't affect multiplayer that much could be: Scruffy could tank a once-free hit before losing health that recharges at a checkpoint, Quincy could take less knockback, Gambi could have higher traction and acceleration on the ground, Tikiman could suck in pickups in a short range and the rest could have one of those previous abilities, or maybe something new? .o. (There could be more stuff ideas but something small can help out a bit. Also if they do have small peaks I didn't notice, my bad. :< )

6. It is not great that you lose all your hearts after death. Not a fan since it makes me not want to bother getting a bunch of heaters if I could just lose them in an instant. (I'll say if it happens only in hard mode I'd be fine with that.)

7. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if a platform is jumped through or you'll get crushed by it, as well as some enemies can be hard to figure out their pattern, how to deal with them, or even if you can kill them. (Now I did play on hard mode most of the time so this might just be because of that but still figured I'd bring that up.)

8. Explosions make me sad% (Seriously the after-math lasts a bit too long and can get some cheap shots off of me.)

9. Very small but it be pretty nice if pressing down while wall sliding made you slide down faster. :)

Like I said already I really enjoyed my time with this game and hope to see more from the team. Fantastic work B)
SuperFreaksDev
SuperFreaksDev
Glad you liked Ultimate so much!! I should mention, the art style and simple/slow movement is to stick closely to the 2006 version, but this is a one off thing; next game will be much faster paced and give you many more abilities. Try it in co-op too if you can, it’s much better that way!

Definitely will take as much of this into account as possible—there will be one more big content update
Arrietty
Arrietty
Oh, wanna say that you can adjust the amount of starting hearts before you start a level. If that helps you any. I always start with 2.
S
Sonicpower2001
Can't wait to check that out and yeah, starting with some extra hearts could be pretty nice.

Maybe something like Easy gets 2, normal 1, and hard non.

Also was thinking about the abilities I mentioned. Each was to serve some kind of benefit towards basic gameplay. (Survival, Combat, Platforming, and Collection) And didn't feel like the first 2 could use a little change even if it doesn't get added in this game... idk.

Mainly just Quincy since knockback is pretty uninteresting so I'll add that to Scruffy's free hit unless that ends up being too strong, Quincy I think would be neat if he got extra damage range around him while jumping. I could allow him to kill some enemies that are defeatable but can't due to touch damage. (If that's a thing, if not it still could be nice to have that extra range.)

Okay enough rambling, can't wait to see what's up next SuperFreaksDev. (Might check out some of those other projects.) B))))
#SUPERFREAKSSWEEP
SuperFreaksDev
SuperFreaksDev
#QUESTTOSCORESWEEP
Super Peaks 1 Ultimate Edition
SuperFreaksDev
SuperFreaksDev
the Ultimate Edition video game ever made eyes emoji!!!

Comments

Never played this game but it's really fun. I don't know what it is, but it just feels really satisfying to play in way that's hard to put into words. I can't describe why but it just feels really good to control. The visuals are super engaging as well. I plan on playing through this with my little brother. Thank you!

Never played this game but it's really fun. I don't know what it is, but it just feels really satisfying to play in way that's hard to put into words. I can't describe why but it just feels really good to control. The visuals are super engaging as well. I plan on playing through this with my little brother. Thank you!
Thanks a bunch!!! Glad you really liked it. It's a lot better in multiplayer! Currently there's a small bug where joining with multiple controllers at the very beginning is a bit iffy (I've fixed it since and will upload a new build soon) so for now have your little brother join in from the character select screen or in-game.

Item information

Added by
SuperFreaksDev
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.94 star(s) 17 ratings

More in Original Games

Share this item