don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 Havoc Fox - Christmas 2023 Demo

Overview

NOTE: Please check the "Known Issues" section for bugs to look out for!
NOTE: Some art in-game is placeholder.

Edit Wed. December 14: This is just a notice to let you all know that Havoc Fox will not receive any further bug fixes or content patches during this SAGE unless something extremely major shows up. This is due to the plugin I use for controller support ceasing to function on my new PC, so I need to redo that aspect of the game again using a new version of it, and I can't promise stability in future updates if I were to push any out.

Welcome to the world of Havoc Fox! The once peaceful continent of Vanalia has fallen victim to the tyrannic rule of its new ruler, and it's up to you to stop him!

Havoc Fox is a 2D platformer inspired by the likes of Megaman ZX, Treasure games, and Freedom Planet! Play as either Grey, a sword-wielding, visor-wearing fox, or Venice, a rabbit/dragon hybrid with a faithful (and dangerous) owl companion as you fight your way through the corrupted kingdom of Vanalia to stop its tyrannical king!

4.png

New to this version is the Christmas-themed level, the Town of Cerice!
Though story elements have been stripped from it to avoid spoilers, this mid-game content seemed fitting to release for an early showing this Christmas! I hope you enjoy it!

1.png

patreon-icon-2048x2048-f80b89j2.png

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/havocfox

636e0a6a49cf127bf92de1e2_icon_clyde_blurple_RGB.png

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/havoc-studios

Wishlist us on Steam!

DEFAULT CONTROLS (Keyboard) :

Grey:

Arrow Keys - Move/Interact (shops, NPCs)
Z - Jump
X - Melee Attack
C - Shoot (8 Directions)
S - Dash
S (Hold) - Longdash
S (Up) - Upwards Dash
V - Use special move
Shift - Switch special move
Enter - Pause
Z - Advance Text

Venice:
Arrow Keys - Move/Interact (shops, NPCs)
Z - Jump
X - Melee Attack
X (Hold) - Boost Dash
X (Down, Air) - Downkick
C - Shoot (5 Directions)
S - Dash
V - Use special move
Shift - Switch special move
Enter - Pause
Z - Advance Text

Controller Support is featured in-game, however we have received occasional reports that the game crashes when a controller is plugged in at boot. Please report if this happens to you!

Please note that the Drawing mini-game in Cerice does not currently feature controller support.

2.png

KNOWN ISSUES
-------
Sometimes pausing is disabled in some levels. Currently looking for the cause!

Sometimes the crushers in Kerozene's Clutter will miss colliding with each other and fly away.
Spooky's "venice-ball" attack is still unfinished graphically
Grey's second dash move is still unfinished

ADDITIONAL SCREENSHOTS
5.png

3.png

1662095573220 (1).png

steamshot1 (1).png

Credits

Programming:
HavocDusk
Clement Willay
Mihailsh
Almighty Zentaco
HappyGreenFairy/Computing Star

Art:
HavocDusk
Levie D.
Unlimited Trees
Prototype Theta
Hannah Parker
Guia Longasa
Vela Cosmos
Kloxedge
XELO_
PicsandPixels
LapperDev
Taylor F.

Writing:
HavocDuskFox
Austin Myers
Reece Bridger
Sheabutter
Edwyn Tiong

Music:
HavocDuskFox
Leilani Wilson
Funk Fiction
Dale North
Hunter Bridges
Levie D.
Jobless Music
MistyRockandRoll
BobtheGUYYYYY
musmus.main.jp

Sound:
HavocDuskFox
Nitrosparxx
SoundSnap.com

Level Design:
HavocDuskFox
Darkonius Mavakar

Voice Cast:
Grey - Edwyn Tiong
Venice - Elsie Lovelock
Spooky - Lizzie Freeman
Antarc - Aimee Smith
Libbie - HavocDuskFox
Kiiro - Michelle Marie
Lyle - Reshel Mae Pascua
Coco/Francis - Themselves
Reactions: Jsmoothie

Comments

On an overall level, this is a really promising game.

CONTROLS:
The controls are very easy to get the hang of. I'm not sure how important weapon switching will be in the final product but generally I'd say swap the 'dash' and 'swap weapon' keys since the dash is vital to nearly every encounter. Figuring out some of the specific combos you can pull off(such as jumping mid-dash as Grey) was very cool and often had me slapping my forehead for not thinking of it sooner. One in particular I am almost certain is a bug. If you do Grey's upward tilting attack the instant after you dash, you launch yourself far higher than is clearly intended. You can break one of the bossfights in the second level using this trick and it made me laugh quite a bit. The Venice character was definitely harder to understand, however. One thing that confused me at first was how the two melee attacks(one which goes directly forward and another which is slightly slower and angles upward) will interchange each time you press the melee attack key. Generally these kinds of one-two punches in similar games are reserved for tapping in quick succession, whereas if you tap the attack key once, wait, and then attack again, you will perform the first jab both times. However, Venice will alternate between them at every button press. This could be entirely intentional, I wouldn't really know as in this early build the only tutorial is the list of controls in the above article.

STAGE DESIGN AND BASIC ENEMIES:
Generally the game is strong in this department. Two concerns stand out: First, it is sometimes difficult to tell what is an enemy and what is part of the background. Especially in Venice's first available stage. Second, in Grey's second level, there are waterfalls in a boss arena which do not act like the waterfalls in the previous level. Some way to make it obvious that it doesn't work the same way would be helpful, although perhaps I am just completely blind to an existing one(I do have to wear glasses...). The stages themselves are very well done, with some quality pixel art and interesting mechanics to boot. I can't wait to see more :)

BOSSES:
These are a mixed bag. The boss of the first Grey stage is definitely the best one, with a really cool puzzle that uses the stage gimmick and requires the player to think on their feet, a well choreographed attack pattern, and is generally a good time. However, the fact that you can't get out of the weapon equip screen without closing the game does put a small dampener on it. The second grey stage keeps up the pretty good bosses, with the first mid-boss being really fun to dodge and figure out. The second mid-boss is a very cool idea but as I mentioned earlier the dash->upslash bug allowed me to get back onto the platform with the checkpoint and ignore the entire boss as it blew itself sky high. The actual boss of this stage is a great challenge and forces the player to learn their pattern or die trying. If it is earlier in the game I'd recommend slowing down its attacks by just a little, but as is it really did make me have to figure out the combat. The Venice stage one boss was a small nightmare in its second phase, Venice's more confusing controls mixed with fast projectiles and me not realizing the dash does not, in fact, have invincibility frames led to double digit deaths and mild frustration. Overall, not too bad!

Havoc Fox(The Christmas 2023 demo, anyway) is very well done and indie creators never cease to amaze me with their games. Play the game, it's really fun!

(Hope you got some good feedback, I really liked this game!)

On an overall level, this is a really promising game.

CONTROLS:
The controls are very easy to get the hang of. I'm not sure how important weapon switching will be in the final product but generally I'd say swap the 'dash' and 'swap weapon' keys since the dash is vital to nearly every encounter. Figuring out some of the specific combos you can pull off(such as jumping mid-dash as Grey) was very cool and often had me slapping my forehead for not thinking of it sooner. One in particular I am almost certain is a bug. If you do Grey's upward tilting attack the instant after you dash, you launch yourself far higher than is clearly intended. You can break one of the bossfights in the second level using this trick and it made me laugh quite a bit. The Venice character was definitely harder to understand, however. One thing that confused me at first was how the two melee attacks(one which goes directly forward and another which is slightly slower and angles upward) will interchange each time you press the melee attack key. Generally these kinds of one-two punches in similar games are reserved for tapping in quick succession, whereas if you tap the attack key once, wait, and then attack again, you will perform the first jab both times. However, Venice will alternate between them at every button press. This could be entirely intentional, I wouldn't really know as in this early build the only tutorial is the list of controls in the above article.

STAGE DESIGN AND BASIC ENEMIES:
Generally the game is strong in this department. Two concerns stand out: First, it is sometimes difficult to tell what is an enemy and what is part of the background. Especially in Venice's first available stage. Second, in Grey's second level, there are waterfalls in a boss arena which do not act like the waterfalls in the previous level. Some way to make it obvious that it doesn't work the same way would be helpful, although perhaps I am just completely blind to an existing one(I do have to wear glasses...). The stages themselves are very well done, with some quality pixel art and interesting mechanics to boot. I can't wait to see more :)

BOSSES:
These are a mixed bag. The boss of the first Grey stage is definitely the best one, with a really cool puzzle that uses the stage gimmick and requires the player to think on their feet, a well choreographed attack pattern, and is generally a good time. However, the fact that you can't get out of the weapon equip screen without closing the game does put a small dampener on it. The second grey stage keeps up the pretty good bosses, with the first mid-boss being really fun to dodge and figure out. The second mid-boss is a very cool idea but as I mentioned earlier the dash->upslash bug allowed me to get back onto the platform with the checkpoint and ignore the entire boss as it blew itself sky high. The actual boss of this stage is a great challenge and forces the player to learn their pattern or die trying. If it is earlier in the game I'd recommend slowing down its attacks by just a little, but as is it really did make me have to figure out the combat. The Venice stage one boss was a small nightmare in its second phase, Venice's more confusing controls mixed with fast projectiles and me not realizing the dash does not, in fact, have invincibility frames led to double digit deaths and mild frustration. Overall, not too bad!

Havoc Fox(The Christmas 2023 demo, anyway) is very well done and indie creators never cease to amaze me with their games. Play the game, it's really fun!

(Hope you got some good feedback, I really liked this game!)
Glad you liked the game!!
Yeah, the upwards dash+sword thing is definitely a bug, I'll look at that!
As for the weapon equip screen, there shouldn't even be one after the first boss in the demo, so it being a softlock would probably be because it has no exit condition for "demo mode"... Can you describe what you saw, was it a full screen animation of Grey?

Venice is a bit harder, yeah - hope she didn't hurt you as much as she hurts me to bug test lmao
I will probably be lowering the difficulty of her first boss when I can, since I hear about it often!
But yeah overall I'm glad you had a mostly good experience! I had to rush a bit to get this out during Finals week, so it not being a total dumpster fire is reassuring :]

Havoc Fox is incredible so far! i think what really sets it apart is how visually striking everything is, from the main menu art to the character animations to the vivid level backgrounds. tons of vibrant, high quality art to look at. absolutely delicious game, thank you. like when a bag of skittles hits just right.

i also really liked the difficulty level on bosses! just hard enough that you have to care about what they're doing but not so hard as to be frustrating. can't wait to get to know the characters and story and stuff better!

Item information

Added by
HavocDusk
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from HavocDusk

Share this item