don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Sonic Aether

General Information

Retro (1).jpg

Welcome to Sonic Aether, a thrilling adventure that takes Sonic the Hedgehog and his trusty companions Tails and Knuckles to the awe-inspiring realm of the Aether Sky Islands. Prepare to embark on an exhilarating journey through a world where vibrant floating platforms dot the skies, and lush greenery abounds.

In Sonic Aether, you will join Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as they find themselves mysteriously transported to this extraordinary realm. Their quest begins as they navigate the breathtaking landscapes of the first level, known as "Verdant Skyreach." Soar through the air, leaping from platform to platform while encountering familiar enemies such as motobugs, shooting bugs, and crab adversaries.

As you traverse the levels, each more breathtaking than the last, you will uncover the secrets of the Aether Sky Islands and strive to restore balance to this fantastical realm. Prepare to immerse yourself in the unique blend of fast-paced platforming and breathtaking visuals that Sonic Aether has to offer.

Are you ready to join Sonic, Tails and Knuckles on this epic adventure? Welcome to Sonic Aether, where the sky is your playground, and the excitement never ends. Get ready to run, jump, and soar through the skies like never before!

Devlog:

Screenshots:
1693696480521.png

1693696543853.png

1693696582387.png

Download:
Google Drive Link

Note: The background shown in the devlog is not in the SAGE version of the game due to SAGE policies.

Latest reviews

An ok enough fan-game. The controls feel very responsive, however Knuckles needs some work and Tails can be cheesed like Silver from 06. Hard mode doesn't really feel like much of a difference, so I was able to just get through it quickly. Since this demo is really short I don't have much to say, except that I hope that the development on this will continue. Interesting idea of gameplay for Sonic overall.

Comments

few points of criticism:

squash and stretch is a little extreme, especially for landing. i'd make it snappier if you're including it.

i'd recommend having multiple sounds that are selected randomly for actions, think how in sa2 when you homing attack there are several voice clips that can play like a "hah!" or a "hu-!", it just gives a lot more variety instead of the same sound playing repeatedly.

sonic's air dash feels kind of useless? it should send you a bit further just a bit faster i think.

rail switching didn't seem to work for me at all, but i noticed in the video you didn't fix the issue where switching rails brings you to a complete stop, sonic should continue moving forward whilst switching rails.

when you glide into an enemy as knuckles, gravity returns to normal as if you aren't gliding which i assume isn't intentional.

Reactions: TJ9
This was one of the fan games I was particularly excited to try, but... Well, I have a few problems. Rather than beating around the bush, let's get into my notes here:

- = Con
* = Neutral
+ = Pro

* Overall, presentation is decent for an early-dev game -- decent. I'd volunteer personally to help replace the odd-looking logos and UI elements, if you need a graphic designer's help.

- No real support for Xbox controllers. Hm. Thankfully this is able to be worked around somewhat by launching the game through Steam, but it's still bothersome as I don't own any PS4 controllers and don't wish to use Keyboard/Mouse controls.

- Options are a bit bare. From what I can tell there's not really any way to control whether or not the game is fullscreen, and you can't disable some of the more noisy visual effects. You also can't adjust the specific volumes of the game, eg. voice clips, music, etc.

- Voice Acting for the character select screen needs some work. The recording quality is far too low and the announcer sounds like he's shout-whispering. I'd advise the use of CastingCallClub if you need to find a voice actor or two and don't have a budget. Plenty of amateur voice actors would love to help.

* Alt costume choices are strange. This isn't a negative, really. I just found them odd.

- Physics are completely broken at framerates higher than 60fps. Not a single character jumps high enough to clear most obstacles and the movement speed seems wrong too. I couldn't even beat the first stage if I wanted to.

- Certain animations are also broken at higher than 60fps.
eg. Tails' tailswipe is too fast for the hitbox from what I can tell, and freezes for a few frames after the animation is complete before returning to regular animations.

+ Visuals are great. I prefer the Windy Hill background to the AI artwork you wanted to use, if I'm honest.

* Squash and stretch looks goofy. Too fast, maybe? Try using some ease frames.

It'd feel wrong to rate the demo considering I couldn't finish it, but if I had to, I'd rate it a solid 5/10. Foundations are there, but there are some oversights and bugs and outright bad choices being made here.

Reactions: TJ9

Item information

Added by
TJ9
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games