don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Sonic 3000 [Sage '23 Preview]

General Information

CLICK HERE TO PLAY

Performance issues under windows? Try this!
Sonic 3000 is an in-browser sonic game. It currently features 3 playable characters, moves like spindash, air dash, light dash, tails & knuckles flight, projectiles, water effects, and runs smoothly under chrome on a pc with reasonable specs. It is currenly playable at https://pixel-physics.seanmorr.is/ with no download required.

/
Escape
/
P
- Pause.
+
(numpad) - Advance one frame.
F8
- Mute / Unmute
F11
- Toggle full screen

+
a
/
or
space
+
to disengage a vehicle.

Sonic
  • /
    /
    - Move
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Jump
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Insta-shield
  • b
    /
    /
    shift
    - spindash (while stopped) / somersault (while moving)
  • /
    /
    - roll (while moving)
  • b
    /
    /
    shift
    - dropdash (hold while airborne, release to cancel)
  • x
    /
    /
    ctrl
    - light dash (while airborne)
  • y
    /
    /
    z
    - super transform
  • L1
    /
    R1
    /
    Q
    /
    E
    - Air Dash (while airborne)
  • L1
    /
    R1
    /
    Q
    /
    E
    - Wall Stick/kick (hold while airborne/release to jump)
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - jump from wall (preserves dash)
  • b
    /
    /
    shift
    - drop from wall
Tails
  • /
    /
    - Move
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Jump
  • /
    /
    - Roll (while moving)
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Fly (while airborne)
  • /
    /
    - Fly cancel (while airborne)
Knuckles
  • /
    /
    - Move
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Jump
  • /
    /
    - Roll (while moving)
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Glide (while airborne)
  • /
    /
    - Glide cancel (while airborne)
  • b
    /
    /
    shift
    - Punch
Shields
The right stick allows you to store/switch sheilds. The current shield will be automatically stored if a new one is picked up of a different element.

Tilt R
to store a shield.

Normal Shield
Prevents ring loss. Disappears after one hit.
  • R
    /
    (numpad) - Deploy stored normal shield
Water Shield
Gives Sonic a bounce attack (Press /✕ after leaving the ground).
  • R
    /
    (numpad) - Deploy stored water shield
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Bounce Attack (while airborne)
Fire Shield
  • R
    /
    (numpad) - Deploy stored fire shield
  • L1
    /
    R1
    /
    Q
    /
    E
    - Flare Dash (while airborne)
Electric Shield
Gives Sonic a triple air jump (Press /✕ after leaving the ground).
  • R
    /
    (numpad) - Deploy stored electric shield
  • L2
    /
    (digit) to activate the shield's magnet.
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Air Jump (while airborne)
Insta Shield
  • a
    /
    /
    space
    - Activate instashield (while airborne, sonic only)
sonic-3000-reviews.png

Latest reviews

This engine has a lot of potential and honestly I enjoyed my time with it, honestly the speed I can gather from running and going through stage after stage is HYPE, that feeling of zooming around and plowing through everything is a good one, the fact this is for browsers and it can keep a good framerate(er, as long it is in low quality) is respectable.

Albeit I have some complains, mainly because you go so fast you can't see what's up ahead like enemies or spikes, and I am not a fan of the gravity phyisics I feel like i fall too quickly and it's hard to make intricate jumps, but I guess I can solve that with better level design, and then there's also the faster enemies which that I mean those that shoot, they shoot faster than the og game, which means it's hard to know when to hit them, so that slows the gameplay a bit or they appear out of nowhere like the buzz bombers, which feels like a bit of a jerk move. There are easy solutions for these, for the first one make a widescreen mode so I can see more than I do now, make jumps less heavy and allow me to go slower and make shooting enemies less unpredictable, so at least you know to react because otherwise I have no time to react.

But looking at 2022, I respect the improvements made to both the engine and the level design, I appreciate you took the time to learn level design too, because a lot of the levels are actually fun now, the second Escape from the City one or the Second one of the Beach are some that stand out, I like the music selection too, but I am not a fan of the radical city one, maybe it's just personal taste.

Overall, I like what I saw, and I hope soon we'll have a downloadable version to not deal with internet loading times and the such. Good job!
Finally had a chance to play this after upgrading my CPU and... still not getting a satisfying performance (38 FPS Avg.). Good job trying to recreate the physics but it still feels heavy, especially in platforming moments. The stages themselves range from ok to "I'm done", because of performance. The stages feel like Sonic is too little for them and so I forget about some newbie traps because I always spend time going back to the part where I fail. Also, please, if it's possible, make this game just a program, because this performance is barely playable and I really want to play it normally when the final build comes. The controller support is nice, the quantity of stages is impressive, the sound effects need some additions (if it's possible) and Sonic controls fine enough but sometimes not fun enough. Good luck on finishing this project, I will be waiting for it on the next SAGE.
I
It’s your boy
I am on browser and on a iPad. I tried to play the game but it won’t let me in let me in before holidays. Do anything a little help here

Comments

This is fun and really cool. I like the graphical style with the bold outlines. However, I find it a bit too fast. It's really difficult to react to things going at the speed the game naturally wants you to go, and the few times the player is asked to do more precise platforming, Sonic accelerates too quickly to make it feel natural. Also, I think I broke the helicopter boss by reaching the end of the track before defeating it. I had to leave and go back for the capsule to appear.

Item information

Added by
SeanMorris
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.50 star(s) 2 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from SeanMorris

Share this item