don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Project SonicRLG

General Information

This project will showcase what I'm currently working on (a 2D style Sonic game where levels are randomly generated)
I've had this in mind for quite a while now and finally started it some days ago.

Controls:
- Movement: Arrows
- Jump and special actions: Space Bar (+Arrows for spindash or super peelout)
- ESC takes you to the main menu once you've entered a level

There is both a test level to test every piece currently existing and a Random generator DEMO to try the random level mechanic.

Disclaimer: This is a very early version and physics don't work as intended in a Sonic game. However, all feedback is much appreciated.

P.D: RLG stands for Random Level Generator

Comments

For a project started a few days before public release, this is very well done. Though it is very rough, this is a fun idea that you're on the right track with.
I'll break down most of what I've noticed into different topics:

CONTROLS:
-Sonic is quick to run, though a little too quick perhaps. But running speed feels good. You've nailed the weight of the jump though. Feels totally natural.

-Sonic is quick to run, but upon running up a slope, he slows down and can't get past it. Even with a revved up spindash he just barely runs up the slope.

-Slopes in general don't work at all. Trying to curl up into a ball on a slope does nothing to forward his momentum or movement.

-Jumps don't sometimes register, not sure why and how.

-Sonic carries too much momentum after slowing down which makes precise platforming hard to perform.

-Rolling into a ball seems to have weird glitchy results like Sonic's sprite being titled at an angle while standing still, or his sprites would flicker in-between his 'ball-mode' and his default standing pose.

LEVEL GENERATOR:
-The level generator seems to work fine. It looks like it reuses a small range of assets which for a project started and released in only a few days is perfectly understandable. Because it is the same type of terrain and obstacles constantly though, it does make the random part of the level generator feel predictable and samey. I think if it was set up in such a way where it could generate different kinds of jumping challenges, it would help make it feel more random. It would help considerably to have different kinds of terrain and things to interact with.
But in terms of generating different level terrain combinations, it seems to do that well enough given what's here.

GAME ELEMENTS:
-Sonic seems to have more trouble running over the natural bumps on flat road than he did in Mania. He seems ultra-sensitive to the curvature of level terrain.

-The tops of the floating platforms seem to have collision which feels weird. The floating platforms in the classic games didn't work like that.

-No kill plane to end the level and restart without pressing ESC.

Overall, this is a solid start. I think you have a good thing going here.

For a project started a few days before public release, this is very well done. Though it is very rough, this is a fun idea that you're on the right track with.
I'll break down most of what I've noticed into different topics:

CONTROLS:
-Sonic is quick to run, though a little too quick perhaps. But running speed feels good. You've nailed the weight of the jump though. Feels totally natural.

-Sonic is quick to run, but upon running up a slope, he slows down and can't get past it. Even with a revved up spindash he just barely runs up the slope.

-Slopes in general don't work at all. Trying to curl up into a ball on a slope does nothing to forward his momentum or movement.

-Jumps don't sometimes register, not sure why and how.

-Sonic carries too much momentum after slowing down which makes precise platforming hard to perform.

-Rolling into a ball seems to have weird glitchy results like Sonic's sprite being titled at an angle while standing still, or his sprites would flicker in-between his 'ball-mode' and his default standing pose.

LEVEL GENERATOR:
-The level generator seems to work fine. It looks like it reuses a small range of assets which for a project started and released in only a few days is perfectly understandable. Because it is the same type of terrain and obstacles constantly though, it does make the random part of the level generator feel predictable and samey. I think if it was set up in such a way where it could generate different kinds of jumping challenges, it would help make it feel more random. It would help considerably to have different kinds of terrain and things to interact with.
But in terms of generating different level terrain combinations, it seems to do that well enough given what's here.

GAME ELEMENTS:
-Sonic seems to have more trouble running over the natural bumps on flat road than he did in Mania. He seems ultra-sensitive to the curvature of level terrain.

-The tops of the floating platforms seem to have collision which feels weird. The floating platforms in the classic games didn't work like that.

-No kill plane to end the level and restart without pressing ESC.

Overall, this is a solid start. I think you have a good thing going here.
Heyas!

First of all, thank you very very much for your feedback!
This demo has a ton of unpolished stuff, but being able to publish it here gives me hope and energy to keep it up!

I do know how to fix a lot of the buggy things, I have to admit that some mechanics are inconsistent due to rushing it a bit, but with time I'll make Sonic even more Sonic!

Let me also thank you for the tip on the level generator, you came up with a really cool idea! I'll definetly put it as a milestone in the game's path :D !

Heyas!

First of all, thank you very very much for your feedback!
This demo has a ton of unpolished stuff, but being able to publish it here gives me hope and energy to keep it up!

I do know how to fix a lot of the buggy things, I have to admit that some mechanics are inconsistent due to rushing it a bit, but with time I'll make Sonic even more Sonic!

Let me also thank you for the tip on the level generator, you came up with a really cool idea! I'll definetly put it as a milestone in the game's path :D !
You're very welcome, I'm glad to have inspired you.
Your plans sound good, keep up the good work :)

Item information

Added by
Frun3000
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item