don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Mr. Shootem Breaks Out! (SAGE 2023 Demo)

General Information

Download from itch.io
Version 1.2.1 of the demo has been released! The following has been adjusted:
  • Fixed a layering error that made the walls in level 4 invisible
  • Fixed a programming error that prevented players from shooting straight up and down in midair
Find a bug? Let me know!
Twitter
@defnotreal_ on Discord

TROUBLE IS BUILDING UP IN MILKY WAY CITY!!!
shootembanner.png

It was supposed to be another mundane day in the city, maybe also a trip to Dude's Coffee™ if you were lucky. But now, folk from all around the world are being kidnapped by millions of colored bricks that are falling from the sky at alarming rates!

The question now: who could possibly save us from this predicament...?

Oh. Him? Really?
shootem logo.png

About
Mr. Shootem Breaks Out! is an arcade-inspired puzzle game all about using your trusty gun to launch a ball at breakneck speeds and rid your home of some uninvited guests! Taking the traditional brick-breaking formula of Breakout and combining it with the movement of Lethal League and the gunplay of classic run-and-gun shooters like Metal Slug and Gunstar Heroes, this game is sure to make a frantic, fast-paced romp for fans of gaming's granddaddies as well as the modern player looking for something unique!

Screenshots
shootemgameplay.gif

shootemscreenshot1.png
shootemscreenshot2.png
shootemscreenshot3.png

*psst* The demo's soundtrack is also available on YouTube!

Meet your hero: Mr. Shootem!
shootemidlegun.gif

That's him!
Who is Mr. Shootem? Well... no one really knows. Many say he just came from nowhere one day and managed to blend with society regardless. He doesn't seem to live anywhere, he doesn't have a job, and where's his mouth at? Can he even eat or talk? Is Mr. Shootem even his real name? You don't think he's a... *gulp*... alien, do you?

I dig it! So, what's in the demo?
This demo contains the entirety of the game's first world: Milky Way City, though in very early form. Meaning, if we do a full game (we're still not sure yet!), the level layouts might change drastically, so don't get too comfortable!

The playable world has four puzzle levels and one final level that we would rather you see for yourself!

Who made this thing?
Mr. Shootem is not a new concept. Many game projects starring the little guy have come and gone in the last 5-6 years, and this was the one that finally broke the mold. This demo was made by a group of friends, most of which have seen this game evolve from the very beginning, with some folks brought on from other channels to help. We're calling ourselves THE SHOOTEAM!

Director, programmer, character designer, concept artist, yadda yadda yadda
defnotreal_
shootemidlegun.gif

I'm Ryan! I do a lot of things with this game!

I created Mr. Shootem many many moons ago, probably when I was about sixteen years old, when I was fiddling around in Aseprite. After many attempts at doing a project involving him, it's very satisfying and exciting to finally have one come as far as this has. Teenage me would be so proud.

Artist, character designer
FishingCroagunk
gunksona_retro.png

I'm Croagunk, also known as Fishy. I've seen Ryan develop his various projects, so I was excited to work with him on Mr. Shootem. I helped to design various characters Mr. Shootem will run into. It's pretty cool seeing how characters develop from just a doodle into a whole character.

Artist, animator
jilloff
jillsigh.gif

hi im jill https://jilloff.newgrounds.com/

Writer, Insurance Billboard Salesman
Mityr
mityrbio.png

I'm Jeremy. I wrote the game's story and dialogue! I've always had a deep love and passion for writing and I hope that passion will be felt as you enjoy the story that awaits.

Composers
Ironik
ironikbio.png

I'm Ironik.... and i made the City theme and boss theme for this KICK. ASS. GAME! play if you dare... face my evil scare...

wrathstetic
wrathbio.png

HYPE YOURSELF UP OR DIE!!! That's My Philosophy! So Sayeth I... THE STETIC... Shooteam Composer Extraordinaire... and extreme murder psycho... ENJOY THE GAME™️...\

Testers
Bagel
jionbiubui.png

Wassup, I’m Bagel. I like video games and my steak cooked medium rare. Cuts of beef aside, Mr. Shootem has been a project I’ve seen development on and have helped with for the last few years, and seeing it have a release after so long is just incredible. I hope y’all enjoy it as much as I have playtesting it!

Bones
bonesbio.png

Art by @UniversalFoxxos

Hi, I'm Bones. I'm a fan of something I would like to call "Spooky Spaghetti". However, I'm not just a fan of goofy games that will eventually take over my pc or horror games in general. I play almost all kinds of games. Mr. Shootem is one of those games I was interested in testing. I'm almost always interested in testing what my friends are making. From what I've played, I think you might like it. I also did a very small thing for the game and it would be very funny if you find it.

Cactus Companion

cactusbio.png

I am Cactus Companion and i dont know why im getting credited since i really havent done a lot but yeah im technically testing the game sometimes i guess, go wishlist Gimmiko on steam (Editor's note: He's a little shy. We brought him on as an emergency tester.)

What's next after this?
First and foremost, a long, well-deserved break for everyone involved, to recoup the three months of free time we put towards this bad boy. After that, though, we're not sure! We might do a full game, and we might not! For many of us, this was our first big original project, and while most of us are super into the idea, at this time, we've yet to sit together and discuss whether or not a full game would be something we would all be comfortable doing, as we would have to commit a LOT of time and a LOT of money to it. All we can say is: stay tuned, folks.

Latest reviews

epic
Reactions: defnotreal_
A short but sweet game, I think it was fun for what it was and I can get creative with how I play the game.

With the gameplay it's mostly a combination of both Contra and Breakout, it's not something that I thought that would work, let alone something I never thought of, yet here we are, so points for originality.
The music is very good, while not super memorable it was nice to jam while I was destroying bricks on the stage.
The art style is all over the place, but honestly, that's part of the charm, it's a deliberate choice and mostly to make other characters stand out, from a chibi-like guy, to a shapeless alien to a realistic human, it's silly and I love it.

But I have two caviats with the game, a major and a minor one, the major one being that I can only aim in 8 directions, and the ball is fast... I think you can see the discrepancy here, fortunately the creator has taken notice of this and is adding proper mouse aim, so props to him for that. I'd also suggest that you put the hole in the lower left rather than the centre, because breakout's paddle was big and that was an entire hitbox, but bullets are small, and you can't slide all around, so place it on the lower part.
And the minor caviat is that there's no reload button, so I would want that.

Regardless, this game is very fun, I am looking forward to it.
defnotreal_
defnotreal_
Thanks for the review! I'm glad the high points were high for you, and your caveats were all very valid!

You're gonna hate me for this, but there is actually a manual reload input that I forgot to mention in-game. You can do it by holding down and pressing your shoot button. Also as mentioned, yes, I am completely redoing the gunplay under a new codebase now, which includes full 360 aiming, and will also most likely include a standalone reload button. Hopefully we get to show it off soon!
Seriously creative and fun spin on breakout, love the gun idea and the sense of humor!
defnotreal_
defnotreal_
The Freakmaster... it's an honor good sir...

Item information

Added by
defnotreal_
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.75 star(s) 4 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item