don't click here

General Information

logonoshadow.png

There's a newer demo featured as part of Christmas SAGE 2023! Check it out!

hoptix is a movement playground game where style and speed come easy! Play as Rocket, a cyborg rabbit who is as cute as they are radical. Explore, race, and stunt on rollercoasters and skateparks in idyllic places. Inspired by games like the classic 2D Sonic titles, the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series, and Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube.

This SAGE '23 exclusive demo contains two playable levels. Note that nothing is guaranteed to be final! Some assets are WIP.

Controls
(Gamepad currently required)

Pause - Start
Gif Camera - Select
Jump/Double Jump/Confirm -
A

Back -
B

Bash -
X

Directional Airdodge - LT or RT
rocket.gif

*How to Play*

Bash
- Rocket can launch themself off of certain objects, indicated by a
bashable.gif
, flying in the direction you point the left thumbstick and replenishing their airdodge and double jump!

GifCapture-202307141317545417.gif

Airdodge - In addition to double jumping, Rocket can airdodge in any direction. Doing this will halt your aerial momentum (and then give it back), so it's a great way to make small adjustments to your flight path!

GifCapture-202307141319074246.gif

Wavedash/land - If Rocket airdodges into the floor, they'll perform a waveland and get a special boost of speed on landing! You can also wavedash by immediately airdodging into the ground after pressing the jump button, before Rocket even leaves the ground. Wavelanding and wavedashing are key to bringing your movement style and speed to the next level, but will never be required to finish a level.

GifCapture-202307141320567766.gif

Gif Camera - Show off your movement style for your friends! hoptix's built-in Gif Cam is an easy way to generate a small, social media-friendly gif. When you press the camera button, it will begin to record until it hits the time limit or you press the camera button again. Then you can press up on the d-pad to render and save your gif, or down to discard it. By the way, the above gifs were all shot using the in-game camera!

By default, gifs will be sent to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\CatBurglarGames, but you can change this in the options.

*Game Modes*

Classic - Stages will contain sections that require breaking all of the targets in the room to unlock the gate and move on!

Free Ride - Just want to explore without any guidance? No worries! No targets or gates will appear to tell you when or where to move on.

Time Trial - Includes a handy timer for those who want to see how fast they can get through a level.

Screenshot (54).png

Screenshot (59).png

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (68).png

*Media*
Twitter
Wishlist on Steam!

Latest reviews

First and foremost it has to be said that Hoptix is a visually stunning game. The backgrounds are absolutely breathtaking! I would set either of the two stages' background, especially the one of the Autumn forest as my computer's wallpaper. I have to ask, is it inspired by Mushroom Hill Zone? When I first saw it, it was the first thing that came to mind!
The music is just as impressive and I believe the tracks complement the stages perfectly!
The game play is fun, but to be honest, I prefer the free play option. With no restrictions in play, the beautiful backgrounds, and the amazing music, Hoptix will become one of my comfort games.
I look forward to coming back to this demo after SAGE and I look forward to seeing more of this project!
Reactions: F108_Star
C
Cat Burglar Games
Hey thank you so much! To answer your question, Bright Autumn wasn't consciously inspired by Mushroom Hill, but that's been one of my favorite sonic environments for decades and I'm sure it's part of hoptix's DNA in that way.

Between you and me, and the people who read comment chains on reviews, free play's my favorite too. We are kindred spirits! Really appreciate the support :)
Dug out my gamepad and gave the demo a whirl. Loved it! I wanna start with the main character, Rocket. Maybe it's just cause I love bunnies, but they're really cute! They have a really well animated sprite too, which really helps sell the sense of speed the game goes for! Just the act of running around is fun, and it feels like a lost Saturn game!

The two levels included are both really unique. The first one is an autumn themed level that's, simply put, cozy! But the second level, Glitterfest, is the true stand out here. It's a city themed stage that takes place in winter, and it really wowed me! The backgrounds are particularly great here, but I gotta shout out the music too!

All in all, this demo is a very promising start to what feels like a great game. Fun to look at, fun to listen to, fun to play!
Reactions: F108_Star
Mixing Sonic Advance with Super Smash Bros Melee movement tech is a sweeter combination than chocolate and peanut butter. Learning and pathing the quickest and most stylish ways through target breaking challenges is incredibly satisfying, and it helps that the game controls so smoothly too! Keep an eye on this one, it's going places.

Comments

The movement here is really fun, and I love the character's animations and his little guinea pig noises. Only thing I would change would be the initial acceleration, your guy starts really slow and there's no way to speed up but just to keep holding right. Maybe give him a spindash type move or use the air dash input to let him get a tiny burst of speed while on the ground?

Pressed literally every key on my keyboard at the "Press Start" prompt, none of them did a thing.
Hi, unfortunately as our page says, a gamepad is currently required! Keyboard/mouse controls will be implemented in the full release, but didn't make it in for the demo. Thank you for your interest anyway!

Item information

Added by
Cat Burglar Games
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 4 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from Cat Burglar Games