don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Heroes Origins (SAGE '23 Sonic Demo)

General Information

TitleScreenGif.gif

maniaidle.gif
Hi! Thanks for checking out this Demo!

Please note this is VERY early work in progress - many bugs & missing features, & that's NO good!
Its in active development & was updated every day throughout the SAGExpo '23 - and I'm continuing to regularly update it! Thank you for your patience and understanding, and have fun playing! :emoji_smiley:

You can follow progress and learn more about my Sonic fandom on my YouTube channel. Thank you!

Introduction

Hi everyone! Happy SAGE! This is my first year submitting - its exciting & I'm nervous. I've LOVED Sonic since first playing it at a friends house in 1991 and it suddenly becoming the only thing I was remotely interested in - however my parents couldn't afford a Megadrive/Genesis so instead my dad taught me to program our old Commodore, and I spent months trying to recreate Green Hill Zone on it, buying magazines, comics, players guides, anything that could help me to make it more accurate! So in a way, I've been making Sonic fan games since 1991. Crazy how time has gone.

GHZ14secs240.gif
THZ14secs240.gif

Please note that this is very much a work in progress demo and nowhere near "finished". I wouldn't usually upload something so bare-bones publicly, but I decided to enter anyway when I saw that the SAGE logo this year was Nights themed - Nights is my #1 favourite game of all time, so I took it as a sign! I took a full week off work and challenged myself to update the project every day, getting a little better bit by bit! It was a fun challenge, I got some wonderful feedback, lots of streamers and youtubers trying it out which was super helpful for bug reports, performance/compatibility checks, and just seeing people have fun with something I made is so motivating. I'll continuing to develop it through the year - hopefully to be 100% finished for SAGE '24!

Quick Pitch!
FlickyB.gif
FlickyR.gif
Basically, I LOVE Sonic Origins Plus. :emoji_heart_eyes: But there are games, features and characters that I would have loved to be included, so I'm "filling in the blanks" to make my ultimate fangame to complement it!
  • "Retro-Engine-Style" Modern remakes of the 8bit games with QOL improvements
  • Modern remakes of classic spin-off games - Knuckles Chaotix, Spinball, Mean Bean
  • "Story Mode" which takes you through classic zones from Genesis 1/CD/2/3&K
  • ALL classic characters playable in ALL games, any combination of partner teamups!
  • Detailled "Museum" style content & unlocks celebrating Sega & Sonic history
HappyAmy.gif
HappyAmyL.gif
I should be able to get all the above complete for SAGE '24, but eventual plan is to add my own "Mania 2" style mode with all original zones, plus a level editor and mod support so people can use my engine to make their own fangames. Of course, I'd also love to add isometric support for 3D Blast, SegaSonic etc - but thats very longterm goal due to needing a new engine. :emoji_sweat_smile:

Super fancy intro sequence!

For me, a big part of my motivation for making this project is paying homage to Sega and Sonic history and my love for those early days - So I went kinda overboard with this intro attract sequence, getting as much representation in there as I could - how many easter eggs and references can you spot from different classic Sega commercials, packaging, region logo differences? The art is all adapted from different Sega games too - everything from the 80s (pre-Sonic!) through to Mania and Origins. Watch it though a second time and you'll start Karaoke mode, and a load more fun changes happen!

MasterSystemGif_240.gif
32XCDGif_240.gif

As I mentioned above - as a kid I was obsessed with Sonic, but we couldn't afford a Megadrive... but after 2 full years of being Sonic obsessed but console starved, miraculously in 1993 my parents said that if I was willing to combine both Christmas and birthday money, they could stretch to affording a Master System, as the price was reduced that year. :emoji_smiley: So for Christmas 1993 I finally got my very own "Sonic" games - my Master System II had Sonic built in, and the first game I bought with my own money after saving up was Sonic Chaos. As you can imagine, those games are very close to my heart.

All through the 90s I obsessively bought and read Sonic comics and Sega magazines - of course I only had my trusty Master System and lusted after a Megadrive - so when the Mega CD and 32X came out, it seemed like an impossible dream to ever own the full "Tower of Power" and be able to play every Sonic title! I poured over previews and guides for Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix dreaming of winning the lottery and being able to play them! In 1995 my dream came true - by then, the public had moved on to the Saturn and Playstation, so prices were down and people were selling their old collections - after saving up and pooling all my resources (and again all birthday and Christmas money from family, doing chores etc!) I managed to afford a second hand Megadrive, Mega CD and 32X! :emoji_heart_eyes: I spent the entire Summer holidays playing through every single Sonic game available, after dreaming about it for years. As Brad Buxor would say... hard times, happiest days of my life! Sonic Heroes Origins is my tribute to that time.

"8bit" Improvements!
FlickyB.gif
FlickyR.gif
The 8bit Sonics were the first games I ever owned, and some of my all time favourites. I want to make the ultimate tribute to them! Many of these features were previously exclusive to the 16/32bit titles!
  • Widescreen, 60fps, crisp nearest neighbour integer pixel scaling
  • Multi-layer parallax backgrounds using original 8bit tiles & palettes
  • Nine playable characters, CPU partner, any combination of two
  • Free animals from badniks, rings scatter when hurt, tvs leave broken debrit
  • Upgraded scenery - more variety, animations, multiple layers
  • Vastly expanded movesets & animation including peel-out, twirl jump, elemental shields
  • Improved badnik AI & expanded attack patterns, and 8 animal friends to be freed
Ricky.gif
Rocky.gif
Plus many QOL features and toggleable options for movesets, gameplay modes, controls, accessibility options, and a highly customisable CRT shader to get the exact look and experience that you want :emoji_smiley:

Characters!

8bit_characters.png
A big part of why I love the Sonic series is the characters. I was so excited as a kid every time a new game was launched and a new character was added, then felt sad when they often got left out of new games, especially when I was limited to Master System only. Well, no more! In Heroes Origins, every character is playable in every game - both in 8bit and 16bit style! :emoji_smiley:

CharactersGif_240.gif

Icon_Sonic.png
Sonic
- Special moves: Peelout, Instasheild, Boost, Homing (DropDash soon)
Icon_Tails.png
Tails
- Special moves: Flying
Icon_Knuckles.png
Knuckles
- Special moves: Climbing, Gliding
Icon_Amy.png
Amy
- No special moves yet - Origins style moveset coming soon
Icon_Ray.png
Ray
- No special moves yet - Mania style moveset coming soon
Icon_Mighty.png
Mighty
- No special moves yet - Mania style moveset coming soon
Icon_Espio.png
Espio
- No special moves yet
Icon_Vector.png
Vector
- No special moves yet
Icon_Charmy.png
Charmy
- No special moves yet

For now, those are the characters in the game and the ones I'm working on the most to get them complete. However, I know there will be many people with requests - eventually I'd love to add Cream and Cheese, Blaze, Shadow, Honey... maybe even some non-Sonic characters like Ristar & Nights?

Also, my Hazelnut Café Engine allows for easy skinning of characters, alternative characters, changing separate limbs, adding accessories etc. I'll be adding things like switching between different Sonic sprites (16bit Sonic 2/3, Chaos, Triple Trouble) etc, but also thing like changing skin/eyelid colour... Easter Egg seekers may find how to give Knuckles his hat! :emoji_wink: Any requests please feel free to drop a comment.

Gotta Go Fast!
KaraokeAmy.gif
Sega launched their "Fast Friends Forever" campaign while I was working on Heroes Origins. The launch commercial had an original hip-hop track which caught my attention and I played it on loop while I worked. I found myself freestyling about Sonic and Sega history, so I felt inspired and created a full version of the song. Probably not to everyone's taste but if you are a Sonic or Sega historian you might get a kick out of it! I've also made an "in engine music video" with on-screen lyrics which I'll upload to my YouTube channel soon, and also is hidden in the game, if you can find it!

Reactions: Linky439

Comments

That is quite an impressive engine you got here. The basics seem to be working fine, and that's never a given especially with loopings and such. Just for info, 16-bit characters cannot break the small monitors ^^
I am looking forward to the full game ! I have never played the titles you mention so I'd probably go blind in a lot of these stages. But make sure your scope doesn't go overboard ;)

That is quite an impressive engine you got here. The basics seem to be working fine, and that's never a given especially with loopings and such. Just for info, 16-bit characters cannot break the small monitors ^^
I am looking forward to the full game ! I have never played the titles you mention so I'd probably go blind in a lot of these stages. But make sure your scope doesn't go overboard ;)
Thank you so much! :emoji_smiley: The engine is very feature filled, its actually built for a Metroidvania game with lots of "non Sonic" features, like inventory, skill trees, animated cutscenes, top down map, etc. but I wanted the platforming movement to be like Sonic, so I figured as I'm a huge fan, why not also use it to make a Sonic game for the community and to show my love for these old titles? As you said, the loops and mobius strips were the biggest stumbling block, but they are working quite well now - pipes were a similar problem but again I have them working in other levels.

I have the 16bit characters working perfectly in 16bit levels (I have Green Hill, Emerald Hill and 2 Chaotix Levels made, but I didn't include them in the public version yet as they cause a memory hole bug for some people. I'm working to fix that in the next few days - I really want all styles available for people to try and bugtest by the end of SAGE.

But as you noticed - they currently clip through the 8bit monitors - I think this must be to do with how I programmed the code that makes them a solid object (so you colide with them) and only break when you are spinning. Thats a very helpful comment, and I'll work on fixing that ASAP thank you!

I've also noticed that some of the 8bit characters keep turning into 16bit Amy or Tails when they do certain moves - again, thats caused by me combining the code for the 16bit and 8bit characters, which I only did hastily to put this demo together in time for the deadline. I'll fix this as soon as I can - of course in the finished game, usually you'd only want the 16bit characters in 16bit levels, and 8bit in 8bit levels, because the size difference makes the jumps too easy/hard - but I think I'll get them all workign in both because it will be a fun thing to put as an unlocable feature for people to play with and "break" the game after they finished it properly :emoji_laughing:

Thanks again for takign time to leave such a kind and helpful comment. I'll be sure not to go too overboard - I've a pretty clear idea of what I want to eventually achieve with this, and what the "end point" is - however, I'm very realistic about how long that could take, and I'm not putting pressure on myself to "crunch". Hopefully buy SAGE next year it will be ready - or at least far more substantial than this current demo!

Thank you so much! :emoji_smiley: The engine is very feature filled, its actually built for a Metroidvania game with lots of "non Sonic" features, like inventory, skill trees, animated cutscenes, top down map, etc. but I wanted the platforming movement to be like Sonic, so I figured as I'm a huge fan, why not also use it to make a Sonic game for the community and to show my love for these old titles?
Oh, impressive! It could make a fun engine to use for any future project you may have then! :)

I've also noticed that some of the 8bit characters keep turning into 16bit Amy or Tails when they do certain moves - again, thats caused by me combining the code for the 16bit and 8bit characters, which I only did hastily to put this demo together in time for the deadline. I'll fix this as soon as I can - of course in the finished game, usually you'd only want the 16bit characters in 16bit levels, and 8bit in 8bit levels, because the size difference makes the jumps too easy/hard - but I think I'll get them all workign in both because it will be a fun thing to put as an unlocable feature for people to play with and "break" the game after they finished it properly :emoji_laughing:
Ah yes, when trying to push monitors 8-bit Tails and Knuckles turned 16-bits, and Vector morphed into Amy a couple of times (when spindashing for instance) :emoji_smile: Maybe that is his non-canon detective superpower... :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (It would come in handy to be able to morph into someone else for such a job!) I also found that pressing the Start button would sometimes "skip" a menu screen (like from Title Screen almost immediately to Green Hill or selecting the "Quit Game" option, as if the game kept taking into account that I pressed the button on more than one frame)

Good luck on this project! I'll come back to check the final version of the demo at the end of SAGE :)

Oh, impressive! It could make a fun engine to use for any future project you may have then! :)
Thank you! Yes, I originally started writing a Sonic engine for fun, but then during lockdowns, myself and Blue Lavander decided to use the time to design an original game, character, world etc. She's a little Witch called Hazel, and she drinks coffee for powerups, so that's why I called the engine Hazelnut Café! Its actually being used for 4 commercial console+Steam games and I'll be making it available for others, but also once its finished I want to make it free for the Sonic fangame community to use :emoji_smiley:

Ah yes, when trying to push monitors 8-bit Tails and Knuckles turned 16-bits, and Vector morphed into Amy a couple of times (when spindashing for instance) :emoji_smile: Maybe that is his non-canon detective superpower... :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (It would come in handy to be able to morph into someone else for such a job!)
Haha yes I noticed these kinds of glitches - its very annoying to me because it works 100% perfectly when using the "right" characters in the "right" levels but when trying to rush to make a public demowhere people could try them all, it got messed up because the code for each character interferes with itself. I know how to fix this, and it will be sorted soon.

I also found that pressing the Start button would sometimes "skip" a menu screen (like from Title Screen almost immediately to Green Hill or selecting the "Quit Game" option, as if the game kept taking into account that I pressed the button on more than one frame)
That's very useful to know - I saw someone else on a stream having a similar problem. Can I ask what type of pad you were using? If its a generic PC one rather than a specific console's pad, is it Direct input or Xinput? I think I know whats causing this, but for maximum compatibility I'm going to buy as many different standard console and PC pads as I can and make a robust code to handle it all - as well key mapping and reconfigurable controls in the options menu, which I'm going to try and get done asap.

Good luck on this project! I'll come back to check the final version of the demo at the end of SAGE :)
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback, very helpful and encouraging too.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, I originally started writing a Sonic engine for fun, but then during lockdowns, myself and Blue Lavander decided to use the time to design an original game, character, world etc. She's a little Witch called Hazel, and she drinks coffee for powerups, so that's why I called the engine Hazelnut Café! Its actually being used for 4 commercial console+Steam games and I'll be making it available for others, but also once its finished I want to make it free for the Sonic fangame community to use :emoji_smiley:
That sounds nice! Is there a place to follow updates and those games? I tried my luck with The Timeless Adventures of Hazel Witch but couldn't find anything ^^

That's very useful to know - I saw someone else on a stream havign a similar problem. Can I ask what type of pad you were using? If its a generic PC one rather than a specific console's pad, is it Direct input or Xinput? I think I know whats causing this, but for maximum compatibility I'm going to buy as many different standard console and PC pads as I can and make a robust code to handle it all - as well key mapping and reconfigurable controls in the options menu, which I'm going to try and get done asap.
I am using an X360 controler for PC on Windows 10, so I guess it is Xinput by default?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback, very helpful and encouraging too.
No problem! :) I feel fan events such as SAGE are made to help out each other so I'm happy if my feedback is of any use!

That sounds nice! Is there a place to follow updates and those games? I tried my luck with The Timeless Adventures of Hazel Witch but couldn't find anything ^^
Thanks! I'll be uploading trailers and development progress of all of my games on my YouTube channel, I just set up a new one specifically for the engine, will be posting the first video in a few hours, I'm editing it now :emoji_smiley: I'm also on Twitter/X as samuelvictor though right now I'm taking a mental health break from social media. I'm a movie producer & actor and recently did an AMA about my time on Star Wars and it went crazy viral and I've been doing lots of interviews and public appearances recently both at Star Wars events (including Celebration, which was CRAZY) and for my autobiography, and soon will be doing the ComicCon circles for an upcoming superhero movie so I mostly stay off social media as my anxiety is somewhat peaked by the sudden exposure! :emoji_sweat_smile:

I am using an X360 controler for PC on Windows 10, so I guess it is Xinput by default?
Excellent, thank you. I have a wired 360 controller, and a wireless Xbox One pad so I can test both and debug things.

No problem! :) I feel fan events such as SAGE are made to help out each other so I'm happy if my feedback is of any use!
Absolutely! Really helpful and encouraging, thank you! I have a hard time being online sometimes, because my job brings out the trolls. Thats also why I'm not really keen on promoting it via my Twitter right now! Perhaps I'll start a specific games related one. But a specific small niche place like this for people with a shared interest is a space space, of sorts. Sonic fans are my people! (also Star Wars fans! I had nothing but love at Celebration, which considering the size of the event was wonderful).

wow, i feel like this is one of the best games this sage. i really like the intro, the gameplay is pretty good, and you are absolutely spittin' bars in that rap. one problem though, it seems like the lyrics don't appear in the newest version. anyway, this is great. looking forward to the full release.

wow, i feel like this is one of the best games this sage. i really like the intro, the gameplay is pretty good, and you are absolutely spittin' bars in that rap. one problem though, it seems like the lyrics don't appear in the newest version. anyway, this is great. looking forward to the full release.
Woah, what a great comment, thank you so much! So many incredible entries to SAGE this year so I take that as a huge complement!

Thank you for the kind words on the intro! I'm aware that this demo is currently only 2 levels of gameplay (more being added soon, I have them made but need to bugfix some gimmicks to make tehm stable) and is somewhat unfinished so people may wonder why I'm making such a flashy introduction - presentation/style and representation of Sega and Sonic history is a huge part of my motivation for making this project - the eventual final version will have extremely flashy and fully filled menus, options, variety in game modes, customisation of sprites, game styles etc to cover the full history of Sonic and cater to all Sonic fans differing tastes, so its important to me for the introduction to really set that up with as many references, easter eggs etc as possible.

For the missing lyrics, I assume you mean the Sonic Heroes ones? Well spotted! I did that on purpose because what I'm planning is to have the intro / attract sequence to have some easter egg style variety - the first time its vanilla, then the second time, its got the Karaoke lyrics, and little additions and changes - for example the Sonic singing sprite from the Master System game will appear on screen, the Mega CD on the title screen will have its Japanese Karaoke attachment, Knuckles will have his hat, some of the logos will switch to more obscure varieties that people may have nostalgia for - Nomad, Mega PC, Genesis 3, Multimega, Wondermega, etc. I'll also add "Karaoke Mode" as an unlockable extra so people can skip straight to watching it, and of course put a full version of the complete intro and Karaoke version on my YouTube channel.

If instead you meant the lyrics for the rap are no longer showing, again, this is a work in progress feature where I'm making an in-engine music/lyrics video. Right now, it shows videoclips in a Mega-CD low bitrate version, in a Sonic CD style frame during the instrumental parts, but when I'm rapping, the intention is to have the lyrics on screen, along with pictures/sprite animations for all the different things from Sega history that I'm referencing. Right now, it just shows the videoclips and perhaps the bare lyrics, I can't remember if diasbling Karaoke mode also disabled the rap lyrics. I hope to have this music video finished within a day or two. Again, it will appear if you leave it on the attract screen long enough, and will also be an unlockable extra and on my YouTube.

And thank you so much for complementing the rap! :emoji_laughing: I had so much fun doing that - I was somewhat selfconscious about adding it but its such a fun tribute to the time and once the idea popped into my head when seeing the FFF commercial I just had to go with it! Many years ago, I was in the music industry and used to ghost write lyrics for quite a few big name American rappers, and I openly worked with people including D12, T Pain, Akon, R Kelly and others. That was many year ago but this is a nostalgic project for me so it was fun to rap again! :emoji_sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Wow, this is super ambitious! Good luck! If this is finished, it'll be one of the all-time greats! Up there with the up-and-coming Sonic Studios, Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit, and Sonic and the Fallen Star!
Also, does no one else think its super weird you have to jump to do a hammer dash with Amy? I suggest making a peel-out kind of thing and giving her a buffed double jump/insta shield, and also removing the insta shield from Sonic.

Item information

Added by
SamuelVictor
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Fan Games

Share this item