don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Dono's Tale (SAGE '23 Demo)

General Information

Dono is Back!

Dono's Tale is back with a brand new demo!

What's in this Demo?
  • Play the first world of the game in its entirety!
  • race to the finish for the fastest time in time trial mode!
  • a variety of collectibles to find!
  • a super fun time!
  • 1 charming little dragon!

Improvements

Reworked from the ground up with improved code, this latest version of Dono's Tale fixes a lot of the issues with the SAGE '22 demo.

• Better Controller support
  • Improved Graphics
  • New enemy interactions
  • Expanded Abilities
  • New Collectables

Follow us on Twitter for updates and a wishlist on Steam!

Latest reviews

This is really charming and really good!
The graphics are lovely (what a cutie the main character is!), the audio is great as well and the gameplay is quite effective.
Quite frankly, if the rest of the game follow these steps, it should be a great platformer with tons of fun and charm.

The difficulty curve does seem to be a bit stiff though, requiring you to pull off some Donkey Kong Country memory muscle on some parts :emoji_smile:
Reactions: F108_Star
This is a great demo and even though I've not played with a controller I enjoyed myself regardless. The style is great, the moves are cool and it's overall charming.

However, to give some criticism the difficulty in the last levels is a bit steep with the fast-moving spike wall and Thunder challenge. Also even though Keyboread is not it still be nice to bind the controls to what I see fit since I'm not a fan of the default layout.

Speaking of I have a question, why are the utility moves on an ability cycle? Like I get that with the attack move but with the utility one why not map Thunder to down, Grab to shift, or holding jump next to a wall and Feather to a double jump plus the Super Jump to up? I feel like the cycle for them adds a bit too much to think about when in the moment. Maybe even making it possible to map them to an individual key in options or just keep it to the cycle.

The only other thing I'll throw out there is it be nice if the air flip gained a bit more height. I've been trying a no-ability challenge and have been having close calls with the flip barely missing platforms due to a lake of high. I'm just wondering if that be on the cards, okay that's it. Great job and I hope the project goes well. :)
Dono's Tale is like a love letter to SNES era platforming. Elements from some of the best platformers from that epoch have been drawn on here, to incredible success. Aesthetically speaking, Donno's Tale seems to be mostly inspired by Yoshi's Island and probably a touch of Super Mario World. The game play stands on it's own as being quite unique! The adorable Dono is quite versatile with his capabilities, that unlike the sources of inspiration the game draw upon, does not need power ups to utilize!
I've been a fan of this project since SAGE 22 and look forward to seeing what else this project has in store!

Comments

Quite enjoyed the demo. Really like the art style and general vibe. I liked level 3 especially. Some of the abilities didn't seem as useful (like the climbing and turtle shell). I'm assuming they have their uses but they got quickly overshadowed by the others. I think maybe having individual levels dedicated to each ability (like the last level) would probably be a good idea. I also feel like the attacks felt kind of wimpy. Also clipped through the floor when on a leaf.
Good stuff tho.

Really nice looking and super polished. I don't see why you should need to cycle between two sets of 3 abilities though when you could make them mapped to a button and a direction or in the case of climbing, always active.

Desperately in need of rebindable keys, and a better setup than cycling among two different sets of actions. You could probably lose two of the attacks, give the lightning dash its own button, have climbing be right+jump, super feather jumping be down+jump, and midair feather jumping be jump+jump. The graphics are nice and unique, but they have nothing in common from stage to stage, so it's not clear why they're all called the same world.

I didn’t notice any differences from last year’s demo and my computer showed my save data from that demo as well. I may just not be remembering the previous demo well and the fact I probably still have the files for last year’s demo might be messing with things, but I also noticed that the date was still just 2022 and I wanted to make sure I was using the demo I downloaded from this page in case I got the wrong thing and those weren’t intended. I downloaded it on September 1st if that’s useful information at all. Sorry for the trouble, I just want to check if I’m doing something wrong or anything. Actually I should probably go replay the old demo because I probably just don’t remember the details well enough to notice all the new stuff

Going to get a lot of hate for this - but I honestly think from what I've played (assuming the rest of the game is on the same level) this will be a better SNES-style platformer than every famous platformer on the console itself. It's that good. Amazing work!

Item information

Added by
Super Item Studios
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.40 star(s) 5 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from Super Item Studios