don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Cosmogelica

General Information

Cosmogelica
Blast off into space! Help Monica and her team explore the galaxy, fight off hordes of enemies, and clean up the mysterious cosmic gel in this retro-arcade inspired action shooter!

IMPORTANT

This download is for archival purposes only, and is not the newest version. For a more recent build, please download on Itch. Thank you!
NEW! Cosmogelica is now in early access on itch! Please see the store page for more information, thank you! Early Access purchasers will get a Steam key that will activate upon release!

NEW! Cosmogelica now has a Steam page! Please give it a wishlist, if you like!

To The Stars!
The planet of Mythandra is under attack! Your team has been assigned by Railway Industries to clean up the mysterious gel that's plaguing the planet, as well as deal with alien invaders. Your mission will take you around the galaxy, but what secrets lie out there in deep space...

Clear The Way!
Fight off endless formations of enemies while traveling between various worlds. Get powerups, upgrade your blaster, and square off against huge bosses. Enemies will be merciless with their attacks, but there's more than one way to defend against them!

Dodge Bullets? Nah, Block Them!
Using the Gel Spreader, you can block incoming bullets. Or, grab the Deflector and repel bullets away! There's many ways to handle incoming enemy attacks. Or, if you prefer, enable Shmup Mode to move at half speed and dodge enemy attacks with high precision!

Features
  • Retro-inspired graphics with a faithful 8bit soundtrack (2A03+VRC6)
  • Various upgrades for your blaster that change your shot type, as well as firing missiles.
  • Special moves you can swap out, which allow you to fire gel to protect yourself, or deflect enemy bullets back at them!
  • Several different gameplay modes that challenge you in different ways. How fast can you clear 20 formations? How many can you clear in 2 minutes?
  • Team up with a friend for 2 player* co-op, or compete against each other!
  • Bonus fun modes like shooting balloons, or the Freedraw Canvas, which allows you to draw your own art!
  • Different screen borders, aspect ratios, and TATE mode. Play the game however you like!
  • Difficulty adjustment and dynamic difficulty. The game will automatically adjust itself to your skill level.
  • Several other options, including accessibility options and input remapping.
*2 player is local only. Requires a gamepad and keyboard, or two gamepads.

Contact Me
If you want to talk to the developer about Cosmogelica, or you want to connect with other fans, please check out my Discord! You can also visit my website to find out places you can contact me.

Thank you!

Come hang out with us on Discord!

Looking for something else to play? Try out my collectathon Shield Cat! Demo available on itch and Steam.
Reactions: Henry99

Latest reviews

A vertical scrolling shooter gaem with furry and gel. The overall impression is that it's very polished, down to pixels. It gives a very cheerful vibe that is the right mix between relaxing and excitement, right from the start when you hear a cool marching 8-bit style music with a sense of wonder. It's actually surprised that Roxanne, the dev, handled almost everything, since it's all so well done and has snappyness. Aside from the voice lines where it feels like Roxy is embarrased of self even if they sound cute.

Man, all the ways that menu sway around and just make you happy. And those options have everything, including lotsa borders and whatever and many orientations to scare desktop users and uhhhhh and even it has a drawing scene for some reason?? Good job. All the fun portraits too.

I really like how the gameplay feels. It's not like 16-bit shooters that I played, it's more like a fancier bullethell, but in casual way. It has small hitboxes and bullet pattern that make my eyes go all over the screen as it loses sights of everything, but instead of just avoiding hell of bullets, you have these new powerup tricks, including the titular gels that also change property based on level. Don't want to accidentally become an average Touhou gamer as you see a wave of bullets approaching? Just shoot barrier gel in front of you. Yeaaaa, it actually adds extra depth to all the powerups.

Plus the core is just that good. Fun to destroy enemies, fast, snappy, all the patterns to master. Health system that creates stress without making it too hard. Things I like such as not having to shoot powerups to change their types. Fits my taste pretty well. Though for perfect fit I would have liked ground-based tanks. But gel mechanics have to fit.

Albeit I don't quite understand the spinning powerup, the part where you sometimes get hit. Still haven't figured it out.

Cool shaders too without destroying my laptop, looks great. Frankly, impressive how cool yet retro fitting gels are.

Story mode ought to be fun when final comes out. Good job demo, not letting me get too comfortable.

i gel with thtis gaem 9 9 add violence
CyanSorcery
CyanSorcery
Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

The Deflector power is only active when the barrier is on screen, so for a few frames at the end of spinning, bullets can hit you
This game is great on all fronts! The creative gameplay mechanics have a lot of depth and the abilities the game gives you are great fun to work with. The visuals and audio are also very polished and well-made. Can't wait to see more of this game in the future!
CyanSorcery
CyanSorcery
Thank you so much!!!! I'm glad you liked it!
Cosmogelica is one of the best shoot 'em ups I've ever played! I love the cosmic gel mechanic and I think it is a nice touch that adds a really unique dimension to the genre! I also love the bonus modes, and that's something I don't normally see with shoot 'em ups! I have to say, I am really digging the art! There is a grown place in my heart for games done in a Game Boy style and your title is a big reason for that. Lastly, I really loved the music. it really captured the Game Boy sound perfectly! Some of the songs even reminded me of the music from Pokemon G/S/C and that gave me a much appreciated nostalgia rush!
I look forward to coming back to this demo after SAGE and I can't wait to check out the full game!
CyanSorcery
CyanSorcery
Thank you so much!! 💚💚

Comments

It was very easy at first, but then I discovered that playing the game in windowed mode (instead of full screen) makes it run like three times faster, which makes everything harder to dodge (and harder to see because the window is small). Besides that, I dunno, it's a shmup. I'd like some sense of there being actual level design. The gel is an interesting addition even if I'm not sure I totally understand it.

It was very easy at first, but then I discovered that playing the game in windowed mode (instead of full screen) makes it run like three times faster, which makes everything harder to dodge (and harder to see because the window is small). Besides that, I dunno, it's a shmup. I'd like some sense of there being actual level design. The gel is an interesting addition even if I'm not sure I totally understand it.
was it showing a yellow number in the bottom right corner? I wonder if the game was just running really slowly or something due to being in fullscreen instead of windowed. The game is meant to be in the same style of Galaga or Space Invaders, so it's focused more on defeating phases of enemies rather than traversing levels

Definitely a solid shooter. I would assume the Story mode would have more carefully crafted enemy waves compared to the randomized ones present in the modes made available for this demo.

Definitely a solid shooter. I would assume the Story mode would have more carefully crafted enemy waves compared to the randomized ones present in the modes made available for this demo.
Ye, I haven't pinned down exactly how it'll work yet, but it'll most likely be like the randomized mode, but with predetermined enemy formations so you can know "ok, this is the phase with the bats"

Item information

Added by
CyanSorcery
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from CyanSorcery