SAGE 2021 - Demo SONIC THE HEDGEHOG Snowday

Overview

A 3D Sonic Project, heavily focused on the Action and Level Design flow.

This time Sonic is visiting a Mountainous region, high up in the sky.
What awaits him? Just a fun Snowday...

This is a one-stage Demo for a fan project.

The Link for the Demo is in the Media section.

Minimum Specs required are hard to estimate at this moment.
But I'd assume if your PC can run Sonic Generations, it should be able to handle this game from my testings.

Detailed List Of Actions in the Game:

Spindash:
-Spindash-Charge
-Rev-up Spindash (While Charging it by tapping the jump button)
-Midair Spindash-Charge (Dropdash)
-Midair Curl
-Spin Rolling

Bounce Off of Enemies/Destroyables (Maintains momentum)
Air-dash OR Double-Jump (depending on how fast you're moving forward)
Homing Attack
Bound Bounce
Walking (in case you need to take it easy)

STH-SD_SAGE-Booth_thumbnail-02.png
STH-SD_SAGE-Booth_thumbnail-02.png

If you're interested in seeing previews & updates of this project, you can follow me on Twitter & Youtube.

Media

Google Drive Link :

Updates

SAGE 2021 Updates Log
08/08/2021 - Initial Upload; not everything has been finalized. But it's being wrapped up.
The assets still need finalizing, as well as the presentation.

20/08/2021 - Updated Upload; The SAGE Demo Build.
Admittedly the game itself is still not yet complete, so there's missing features that didn't make this build.

If you have any complaints or problems, I'd be glad to take note of them.

21/08/2021 - V1.2 Sage Updated Build: Found a bug which kept setting the Lives count to zero in the save file.
Has been fixed in this build, and a couple of other minor bugs.

23/08/2021 - V1.3 SAGE Updated Build: Minor additional features have been added in, some updates to the visuals, Cameras, and of course some bug fixes.
Creating a new Save File now brings you straight to the Settings Menu, to encourage first time players to tailor their own settings accordingly.

27/08/2021 - V1.4 SAGE Updated Build: Supposedly the Final Demo build.

So I took in some of the criticisms received about the Camera being too close, and I set the normal distance around 75% higher than it was before (for reference, it was -4.8f, now it's -7f)
On top of that; I've created a Camera options Menu where you can customize the Distance/Zoom from the Player yourself; as well as an Inverted Camera Control option for both Horizontal and Vertical Axis, for those who wanted that.

People's feedback definitely helped me realize this was needed, so I thank the people who told me about this problem.

There's also an option to turn off the Camera Smooth Damping if you don't want the Camera's movement with the player to be elastic.

And there's been minor Level Design changes as well.

End of Sage message.
Now since this will likely be the last update for a while, I feel I should layout my plans a little on what I intend to do now that SAGE is coming to an end.

First of all, people have made it abundantly clear they hate some of the animations ( especially the open-palm run :'( ).
So I intend to either update these animations, or flat out replace them with entirely new ones.

And second of all, I intend to go back in and do a complete overhaul of Cool Peaks' Visual Design (especially the outdoor ares), as I can see it's very amateur, and I feel I could do better.

And of course, there are things like the UI presentation, as well as the missing VFX/SFX elements.
The reason the Main Menu looks the way it does admittedly is because I was using that more so for prototyping logic.
I don't want that to be the final menu.

And the UI definitely needs a bit more personality to say the least.

That and some systems need a bit more polish.

So yeah, this will be the Final Update for a while.
But I hope to be able to finish this fangame, and have it out the door by this December.

Once again, I thank those who took the time to play STH Snowday, as well as those giving their criticisms, and also to those who made videos on it.
Really, this kind of stuff encourages me to finish the project.

December 2021 - Dev-log Message: Plans have been changed

Okay, it's December now.
I should be transparent about this project's current state.

Plans for this game's release has been changed.
Instead of a final release in the near future, I'm going to do releases in increments.
Think updates with new content and fixes.

The reason for this, is because of two main factors:

1. I feel the current quality of the game isn't at the point I want it to be.
So I want to take more time to learn, improve my skills, and make a better game.

2. To tell the truth, when I first started making this game.
It was always supposed to be just one really long and memorable level.
Then I'd make another fangame with even more stages, taking what I've learned from Snowday.

But now (and I know this is starting to sound like feature-creep).
I feel like this shouldn't be made the same way most released purchasable games & products are made.

I believe this is a fangame that has room to grow.

Now I'm not suddenly about to try and turn this into a bloated open world game, and just lose the Original point of this game's appeal.

But I do want to experiment with a few more ideas for this game, that I believe can work on top of the foundation that's already established.

So what's the progress so far?

Honestly I've been refactoring code, and still am at this point.
Cleaning everything up.

I'm reworking the camera-system, as it needs a lot more work than I had realized.

The gameplay UI has been changed.

And I've re-implemented Tails into the game after two re-iterations.
I had to constantly take him out previously, because changes done onto Sonic would negatively impact Tails.
However, I've found a good workflow for multiple characters to work well together now.

And honestly, Tails is fun.
Not complete, but fun.

I believe the challenge with Tails is going to be making his stages as fun as Sonic's, but I have ideas.

So when's the next release supposed to be?
I can't say.
It was a hopeful but ignorant mistake of me to say December last time.

The truth is, real life and other things get in the way, as I'm sure you've heard countless times from a fan project.
But if you feel like I may just up & drop this project, and never release anything after the first release...

I guess I should emphasize that I've technically been with this project for 3 years now, back when I had zero experience.
I could have quit any of those times, but I wanted to see this game come to fruition.

What am I saying?
I'm saying you will see the game once it's ready.

Please enjoy your December, and thank you for reading this.
-Ronyplay

Latest reviews

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS. There is SO much potential here. I can tell a lot of the jankiness of the game is just something that needs to be ironed out over time - like controls, collision, camera, level design, etc. And it wasn't even that bad. But I have ONE big suggestion.

ADD A ROLL BUTTON!

Is this the Bumper Engine? It feels like it is - and even if it's not, you should still add a roll button. You clearly understand how going down slopes and gaining speed is a big part of Sonic - and thats what I had the most fun with in the level. But it was awkward to initiate this high speed state as I had to stop and spindash in order to get it started. A roll button, preferably mapped to one of the bumpers of the controller, would help this game rise HIGH! A button that sends you into a curled state and keeps you in this state as long as you're moving forward. Keep doing what you're doing here and ironing everything out. There is so much potential here.
Reactions: Ronyplay
Ronyplay
Ronyplay
Hey I just wanted to say thank you for the words of encouragement.
But the Roll action you're talking about adding is already in the game, it's just the way you activate it is different from other frameworks.

To do a midair curl, you just need to tap either the Left Trigger or Right Trigger (Left Mouse Button/Right Mouse Button) while in the air (don't hold the button), then you'll enter the midair curling state.
And on the ground you can just tap any of the spindash buttons without having to charge up the Spindash.

Hope that helps.

And don't worry, the feedback I've received has helped me realize what needs to be done with this project.
I still plan for a full December release.
Sonic Robot
Sonic Robot
I'll be waiting, notify me when you released it.

Comments

Why is noone talking about this game? Doesnt use a framework it seems and the level design is so fun. Best Sage 2021 game hands down. Only issues were the animations where a little janky, and the running animations are to fast. Other than that im excited to follow this.

Why is noone talking about this game? Doesnt use a framework it seems and the level design is so fun. Best Sage 2021 game hands down. Only issues were the animations where a little janky, and the running animations are to fast. Other than that im excited to follow this.
Thank you for your kind words, and criticism.
Admittedly I think I may have dropped the ball when it came to promoting this one.
But I'm working on putting a trailer together, and maybe a new thumbnail.

Animation, camera, and some physics quirks aside, I quite enjoyed this! I mean, sheesh! The handling on the ground is just fantastic. There's a precision there that even Sonic Team has yet to get right. You can make such fine turns and adjustments without losing control.

I do wish I could invert the camera control. And, I don't like how you lose speed and control out of a spin-dash, which is a shame because drop-dashing is really cool when you can get it to work.

(Also, just an odd personal nitpick: I'm not a fan on the open-palmed run. I just think it looks dorky. However, the run you have going down the hill at the start is really cool!)

Animation, camera, and some physics quirks aside, I quite enjoyed this! I mean, sheesh! The handling on the ground is just fantastic. There's a precision there that even Sonic Team has yet to get right. You can make such fine turns and adjustments without losing control.

I do wish I could invert the camera control. And, I don't like how you lose speed and control out of a spin-dash, which is a shame because drop-dashing is really cool when you can get it to work.

(Also, just an odd personal nitpick: I'm not a fan on the open-palmed run. I just think it looks dorky. However, the run you have going down the hill at the start is really cool!)
That's great to hear.

Admittedly I had a feeling people were gonna take issue with the non-inverted camera control.
I should probably provide an option for those folks.

As for the spindash...that's 100% intentional.
There's a certain mastery required to maintain the speed from the spindash and dropdash.
Hint : You can manually roll out of a spin roll.

Haha.
I was wondering what people were gonna think of THAT run animation.
Well obviously I personally like it (because of my own bias), but I wouldn't be against giving an option to people who don't like it.

Other than that, I'm glad you checked out my fangame, and gave me feedback.
Thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the dropdash's speed is determined by two factors.
1. How long the dropdash was charged for.
And 2. How fast you were going when you initiated the dropdash's charge up.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I loved this one! My only problem with it was Sonic running animation, his jog animation was too fast, and felt like SA2 jog animation.
But when you gets to top speed, it feels great!
Btw, what's your @ on twitter?

I loved this one! My only problem with it was Sonic running animation, his jog animation was too fast, and felt like SA2 jog animation.
But when you gets to top speed, it feels great!
Btw, what's your @ on twitter?
Haha, glad to read that.

Admittedly I don't have a Twitter; but now that you mention it, I probably should have gotten one for this project.

It's amazing aside from a few animations, also a bit of a suggestion, you should add the Parkour and give Sonic the Super Peel Out for his running animation but this game is amazing!

This project looks prima facia wonderfully impressive! I really want to experience it firsthand so I can form a proper opinion on it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the demo to work. It may be a consequence of my toaster all-in-one PC (and it'll be a shame if it is), but the program freezes at the "Created by Ronyplay" screen. Is this a known issue?

This project looks prima facia wonderfully impressive! I really want to experience it firsthand so I can form a proper opinion on it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the demo to work. It may be a consequence of my toaster all-in-one PC (and it'll be a shame if it is), but the program freezes at the "Created by Ronyplay" screen. Is this a known issue?
I've never heard of this problem until now.
Could I ask what kind of PC you're using (Operating System, specs)?
And also how you have set up the game from download to launch?
And if you receive error messages?

Just so I know what I'm working with.

Edit: Also make sure you're not running the game on "Integrated GPU", and instead "Dedicated GPU".

Item information

Added by
Ronyplay
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item