don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 NiGHTS: moonlight dreams...

Overview

V1.2 UPDATES:
- Fixed a few animation bugs.
- Modified the camera behaviour, it's softer.
- Still no controller support, please use a joypad mapper tool meanwhile. :c
- Added Nightopians (and Santa Claus on XMAS MODE)!

1690944383571.png

Long story short:

The tale of how this fan game became what it is today dates back to 2007 when I began experimenting with recreating NiGHTS mechanics using Clickteam's The Games Factory (v1). Over the years, I created numerous small tech demos to entertain myself while eagerly awaiting official releases of new NiGHTS games. It's important to note that crafting a NiGHTS fan game (or any fan game, for that matter) was never my primary objective; I've always had a distinct original project in mind with original characters.

The tech demos I crafted were primarily 2D, with one of them utilizing a Mode 7 foundation, and another fully embracing a 3D environment with a backward camera gameplay perspective. It was mandatory to include a working "LINK" system with item SFX that increased the tune accordingly, just like the original game. I never finished them. 😅

In 2010, I designed a NiGHTS 3D model for fun, it eventually became useful for this kind of projects, it appears on this fan game's title screen.

Fast forward to 2013, I embarked on developing a charming 8-bit styled tech demo. It played as a side-scrolling shooter game where NiGHTS continuously flew to the right, and players had to collect items while avoiding enemies. Originally, I planned to publish this demo for SAGE 2014, but eventually, I abandoned the project. Nevertheless, it featured "8-bit" SFX inspired by the original game.

1690944549087.png
1690944575735.png

Last year, after a hiatus of 9 years, I surprisingly revisited the project and delved into programming an extensionless ragdoll physics engine on Clickteam Fusion. The result, while a bit quirky, delighted me with its outcome. Furthermore, I recreated some special sound effects and composed music using soundfonts extracted from the original game back in 2014. Despite briefly abandoning the project once again, this year brought exciting news of a NiGHTS-Themed SAGE Expo. Motivated by this event, I swiftly resumed work on this little minigame to present it at the expo. I hope that you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making this. For me, this is a dream come true.

Please come to visit the project's official website.

1690945315552.png
1692687839089.png

1692687659384.png

Credits

Programming, 2D/3D art, and music by:
- Marco Medina

Textures used in level 3D models:
- OpenGameArt.org

NiGHTS into Dreams sounds by:
- SEGA, Sonic Team

Special thanks to:
- SEGA, Sonic Team
- NiGHTS fans
- Clickteam

https://www.melodicwarrior.cl/nights.html

Latest reviews

loved it, its just hard for me to play when my fingers are big and my arrow keys are small, if you could add controller support that would be very epik! thanks for making this awesome game for everyone to play
Reactions: F108_Star
(I accidentally left a reply to a different comment oops) Again, moonlight dreams is pretty great. Only complaint is that the control and handling feels slippery, and it feels like NiGHTS' center of gravity is their head. But other than that, this is pretty cool. (edit: i've gotten used to the physics. the game is still awesome)
Last edited:
I love the music, the animation, and all of the sprites! The movement in the game is like a slip n' slide, so if you're bad at using keyboard controls to play games that have a LOT of movement, it will take some time to get use to... but it's well worth it! This is truly a fangame made from love for the NiGHTS series
Jsmoothie
Jsmoothie
<null>

Comments

For some reason, this Windows game doesn't run correctly on Wine 8.15 on Linux. The graphics are completely corrupt, even though it seems to be responding to the keyboard and producing some sound effects.
I have not tried it under Proton. I don't know if it works better on Proton.

Ooh, I really like how it looks, the simple 3D environments and the 2D sprites make me think this is probably what the game would have looked like as a Saturn launch title. Holding out actually playing it until there's proper analog controller support, I played too many hours of the NiGHTS PS2 version on Steam with a keyboard and I'm never going back to that lol
Very much looking forward to playing once that's implemented though!

I'm sorry but I find it unplayable on the keyboard, it is imperative to add the recognition of an Xbox controller or others

Ooh, I really like how it looks, the simple 3D environments and the 2D sprites make me think this is probably what the game would have looked like as a Saturn launch title. Holding out actually playing it until there's proper analog controller support, I played too many hours of the NiGHTS PS2 version on Steam with a keyboard and I'm never going back to that lol
Very much looking forward to playing once that's implemented though!
Understandable, thank you for the feedback. 😊

Item information

Added by
Marco
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games