don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Complete F-Zero Pocket

I admire the effort and intention behind this project, the fact they're giving F-Zero some love is admirable. I don't like racing games, but I do have my exceptions and F Zero is one of the ones I really like and it is great to see people still remembering it.
It does help that the graphics help to make it look like a gb title, they are appealing to see and really well drawn, so I don't have any complains, that point is perfect.
I'd like GB renditions of the familiar songs so it matches with the graphics, I mean the F Zero ost is good but I want something for it to match together at least.

Unfortunately I have to dock points for a massive flaw of this game, the balance, it is VERY hard to squeeze a win, nigh impossible in fact, I could only place third in a track and putting it on easy, and in mute city there is a VERY sharp corner that I can't pass unless I slow down a lot and that ends up putting me on last place no matter how careful I am with it, is like everyone drives perfectly and there's no drift or whatever to improve my turning. Because of this balance issue, I could not enjoy the game, it became frustrating to me and it is a shame, because the rest is alright.

I'd want if you improved the turning or added some sort of drift so I can cross sharp corners or hell, just shorten those alltogether!

Nevertheless, I respect your intention here, and I do hope you keep improving and making stuff.
Linky439
Linky439
Hello!

About the soundtrack, I agree with you, having GB renditions of those tracks would have been the icing on the cake, but I am no musician and with this being a side project I couldn't find the time to search for anyone to make the soundtrack.

I understand the handling is quite difficult to get. I got used to it very quickly since I know how it works, but a lot of people seem to struggle with the turning. What car did you use? I feel like new players kinda dig Samurai Goroh for the first cups with his great top speed.
I do agree though, Mute City I is too brutal of a first track because of that last turn.

The difficulty balance is overall what I regret the most about this game, as the tracks were put together quite rapidly at the end of the dev time. Thanks for the feedback, this game is now 3 years old and I have kept on making stuff. I have another game on this SAGE named HooperVania, which isn't a cakewalk but has a better balance than F-Zero Pocket!
StrudelKnecht
StrudelKnecht
It seems promising but I will not get most of the in-jokes so I am in the fence about playing it, but I do like Castlevania a lot, I mean I did a Castlevania game too, so I might check it at some point. Anyways, thank you for answering very polite of your part, I was using Captain Falcon BTW.
Linky439
Linky439
There are some jokes you won't get yes (level 2 is probably the most "jokey" one), but I strongly believe the game can easily be played by anyone, especially retro-gamers. You might just encounter a couple of weird things you don't really get, but it wasn't that uncommon back in the day as well! ^^