don't click here

Looking for assistance with level design for 3D Sonic fangame

IncredibleMeh

Coder, Modeler, Animator
Apr 26, 2023
I've been chipping away at a very physics/momentum heavy fangame in Godot Engine for over a few years now, building a reasonably robust movement system that is closely based on the kinetic feeling of the Genesis games. While I'm able to handle the bulk of the work on my own (from coding to movement systems to modelling and animation) the current major roadblock is a lack of clear direction for level design. While I would likely be able to contribute toward this part of the project on my own it would mean adding a lot more to a workload that's already causing me to be stretched pretty thin, and I'd like to be able to rely on a collaborator who feels confident handling complex level design so I can be free to redouble my efforts.

In the short-term, level creation and prototyping is likely to happen mostly in Blender or other model editing software. And in the long-term I aim for the creation of in-engine tools to facilitate the designer's needs. My hope is for levels that provide an adequate sandbox for the player to experiment with movement, often demonstrating qualities like a skatepark with ramps and collision for them to run freely on, encouraging creative ways to gain and maintain speed or overcome unusual obstacles.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention.

Last edited:

DoubleMode

Story Teller
Jun 20, 2023
Yo, I'm also trying to create a 3D Boost game. I've got a bunch of members joining this new project and I was just curious if you would be interested in joining the project as a coder or some other job you would want to do?

IncredibleMeh

Coder, Modeler, Animator
Apr 26, 2023
Yo, I'm also trying to create a 3D Boost game. I've got a bunch of members joining this new project and I was just curious if you would be interested in joining the project as a coder or some other job you would want to do?
You potential project appears to be planned for development in an Unreal Engine framework, which I am not qualified to work with. As stated, my current work is done within the Godot engine, my knowledge and skills are limited to that area. I also have no interest in developing for a boost style game, none of the movement systems or design decisions I've made are compatible with that and I have no enthusiasm for putting aside my current work for the sake of an entirely unrelated project.

All that aside, I greatly do not appreciate you attempting to poach me in a thread where I am asking for a collaborator for my own work. (And I only happen to be asking for help I truly believe I need at that.) It is highly rude, and If it was within my means and area of interest I would have replied in your thread.

DoubleMode

Story Teller
Jun 20, 2023
You potential project appears to be planned for development in an Unreal Engine framework, which I am not qualified to work with. As stated, my current work is done within the Godot engine, my knowledge and skills are limited to that area. I also have no interest in developing for a boost style game, none of the movement systems or design decisions I've made are compatible with that and I have no enthusiasm for putting aside my current work for the sake of an entirely unrelated project.

All that aside, I greatly do not appreciate you attempting to poach me in a thread where I am asking for a collaborator for my own work. (And I only happen to be asking for help I truly believe I need at that.) It is highly rude, and If it was within my means and area of interest I would have replied in your thread.
Not trying to disregard your project, it was simply an offer since it seemed like both of us had the same goal. But very well, a simple "no" would have been enough. Good luck on your project.

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
Hmm, I think I cooould be interested in trying to assist some. I don't have any experience building 3D Sonic levels, but certainly got experience from playing 3D Sonic games and fangames, got a pretty good idea on what works and what doesn't. I can work with Blender some (more used to modeling characters and not enviroments tho, and I'm not super pro anyway) so I could atleeeast do sooome crude prototyping stuff there, or possibly just draw some 2D topdown or sideview maps or the like. Thooo where I feel I'd prolly do the best would be giving my two cents on level designs once others work on those - commenting on what could be changed or improved, how the layout could better work to direct the player, how it could teach the player better, give suggestion on improving the flow, and so on. Way too early to get into that tho since the levels still need to actually be designed and made playable, but hey.

Uh, all in all I'm not sure if I'd be able to help aaaas much as you're looking help for, but if there's ever a need for any brainstorming or especially the quality control stuff I'd be up to help.

Also sorry for possibly typos and the like, it's late and my verbal brain is getting tired haha.

IncredibleMeh

Coder, Modeler, Animator
Apr 26, 2023
Hmm, I think I cooould be interested in trying to assist some. I don't have any experience building 3D Sonic levels, but certainly got experience from playing 3D Sonic games and fangames, got a pretty good idea on what works and what doesn't. I can work with Blender some (more used to modeling characters and not enviroments tho, and I'm not super pro anyway) so I could atleeeast do sooome crude prototyping stuff there, or possibly just draw some 2D topdown or sideview maps or the like. Thooo where I feel I'd prolly do the best would be giving my two cents on level designs once others work on those - commenting on what could be changed or improved, how the layout could better work to direct the player, how it could teach the player better, give suggestion on improving the flow, and so on. Way too early to get into that tho since the levels still need to actually be designed and made playable, but hey.

Uh, all in all I'm not sure if I'd be able to help aaaas much as you're looking help for, but if there's ever a need for any brainstorming or especially the quality control stuff I'd be up to help.

Also sorry for possibly typos and the like, it's late and my verbal brain is getting tired haha.
I'll send a message with a bit more detail, but I'd be happy to accept some minor help and feedback. I'm still interested in finding someone who can carry the duty of level designer, but some weight off my shoulders is certainly better than no weight and I'm happy to ablige people who might have an interest in helping.

DoubleMode

Story Teller
Jun 20, 2023
I'll send a message with a bit more detail, but I'd be happy to accept some minor help and feedback. I'm still interested in finding someone who can carry the duty of level designer, but some weight off my shoulders is certainly better than no weight and I'm happy to ablige people who might have an interest in helping.
Yo, I honestly don't mean to disregard your project. I am curious how your project is going and if you do need any help? I'd be more than willing to help with the story, I know that doesn't seem important but I enjoy making stories and I don't have much experience with the Godot Engine. Again, I didn't mean any harm, I wasn't thinking to be honest, my bad.

Last edited: