don't click here

I'm tired of Sonic being Family Friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightnik

Certified Sonic Maniac
Apr 27, 2021
an ancient past
Tbh, thinking about it, I kind of disagree with you, serious Sonic games are outright boring at this point. SEGA has been trying to make serious games for a long time, and it's only made the franchise worse. All I want is a game with a story like the classic Sonic games, where it was just light-hearted and goofy.
I agree in part more than anything because I would like them to focus on making a game that works and is fun than on making a good story Because after all Sonic is a video game franchise so if his video games are not fun, no matter how good the story is, they will continue to be at least bad games for me.

but as a fan of the Darck Age I know that a good story contributes to how much fun the game is so I would like the Sonic Team to try a little more in that regard Personally, I would like a story similar to that of Sonic Heroes, a simple one in which all the characters are useful

As to which villains would appear The only villain from other media that I would like to appear in the games are Enerjak and the Metarex

Sotaknuck

Scrambled Egg Zone
May 27, 2020
Good Gameplay and Good Story do not exclude each other. The problem is that they kinda feel average in both for a very long time, so the final result is always "meh".

Just a few examples:
06 could have been great, but they shipped an unfinished game with a plothole ridden story and bugs everywhere
forces could have been great, but the gameplay is unclean and the plot tries so hard to be edgy that falls flat on its face with the pile of oneliners
mania could have been a masterpiece, but despite the stellar gameplay the overall plot makes no sense, so it hampers my enjoyment of it every time I play through.

Reactions: AngelicDirt

Sotaknuck

Scrambled Egg Zone
May 27, 2020
How does Mania's plot make no sense?
Thanks for asking! The shortest answer would be "Phantom Ruby".

1 - According to Forces the Phantom Ruby has the power to create realistic illusions, so what are the characters experiencing exactly?
  • Are the hardboiled just regular eggrobos BELIEVING to be hard boiled?
  • Are the characters being transported around or are they all having a collective hallucination on Angel Island's beach, flailing their limbs into the sand and foaming from their mouth?
2- Why is Knuckles chilling near the beach with Angel Island fallen into the sea? Shouldn't he be trying to do something about it?
3- What is the point to time travel into the future at the end of Speed Highway act 1? To give Eggman time to complete Titanic Monarch and repair Metal Sonic?
4- Why do the characters walk out of Hydrocity in Angel Island, to fly on the tornado to West Side Island? (Oil Ocean is in West Side Island, so Mirage Saloon has to be on West Side Island as well given the stage transition.) It makes no sense for the characters to head to west side island in the first place: the last time they saw Eggman was on Little Planet.
5- They leave angel island to go to oil ocean and come back to angel island on a flying(?) sumbersible.
6- Why is the Little Planet, which is known to appear over Never Lake, chained above lava reef on Angel Island?
7- Ok, you cleared the game, but based on point 4, did you end it in the future?

One more for the encore mode:

8- When and why all the hardboiled got destroyed except the magician? How do they end all piled up in Angel Island?

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
I read somewhere that the devs were forced to put in the Phantom Ruby by SEGA, and it wasn't going to have it originally.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I agree in part more than anything because I would like them to focus on making a game that works and is fun than on making a good story Because after all Sonic is a video game franchise so if his video games are not fun, no matter how good the story is, they will continue to be at least bad games for me.

but as a fan of the Darck Age I know that a good story contributes to how much fun the game is so I would like the Sonic Team to try a little more in that regard Personally, I would like a story similar to that of Sonic Heroes, a simple one in which all the characters are useful

As to which villains would appear The only villain from other media that I would like to appear in the games are Enerjak and the Metarex
But Ixis Naugus seems to me a very edgy and badass villain. More if it's the typical heretic cultist necromancer who uses black magic to create the undead and absorb the souls of his victims.

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Sonic was meant to be a colorful and lighthearted game from the beginning, It's not meant to be serious or edgy, just look at the graphics of the classic. Everything is abstract, and colorful. Serious stories was what ruined it.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Sonic was meant to be a colorful and lighthearted game from the beginning, It's not meant to be serious or edgy, just look at the graphics of the classic. Everything is abstract, and colorful. Serious stories was what ruined it.
I don't care how colorful Sonic is. I've seen tons of video games that, at first glance, look colorful. But when you play them, you realize that it's not what it seems. It can even shock you, terrify you and even bring a tear to your eye.

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
That would make Sonic seem like psychological horror, the only good place where a serious moment would fit in is the final boss fight, and it's been established that Robotnik loses his sanity and mental health throughout each game, and every disappointing Eggman final boss ever is a result of Robotnik losing his sanity and not even bothering to put effort into his machines.

Sonic Mania was originally going to have Robotnik having depression, and he would not even appear, instead sending the Hard-Boiled Heavies to do the job.

Last edited:

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
That would make Sonic seem like psychological horror, the only good place where a serious moment would fit in is the final boss fight, and it's been established that Robotnik loses his sanity and mental health throughout each game, and every disappointing Eggman final boss ever is a result of Robotnik losing his sanity and not even bothering to put effort into his machines.

Sonic Mania was originally going to have Robotnik having depression, and he would not even appear, instead sending the Hard-Boiled Heavies to do the job.
Sorry. But Sonic is not Mario and neither is Mickey Mouse.

Piros

Green Hill Zone
Jul 4, 2021
Imagine wanting to take Sonic seriously. I say this as someone who cried when E-102 Gamma died, but I'll pass. We don't need another FNAF.

Hedgelord fan

Green Hill Zone
Jul 22, 2021
Are you implying Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed weren't serious?

Those games had serious stories, which many agree were pretty good (but in the case of Shadow, in places). They all managed to have an E or E10+ rating, too!
It doesn't need to have an M rating to have a deep and interesting story. For a game to have said rating, it would need to be gory, sexy, offensive, or all of the above, which are things that would almost certainly take away from an engaging Sonic story. I don't want to be worrying about death and tragedies while I play my fast hedgehog game!
In fact, Sonic SatAM, which you appear to enjoy, was aimed at kids, despite its mostly serious tone. It was a Saturday Morning cartoon, after all.
The E rating on many of these games doesn't mean it's aimed at kids at all. It means kids wouldn't be disturbed or traumatised by the contents of the game. It also stands for "everyone", not "kids".

However, I do agree that a spinoff featuring the Freedom Fighters or the SatAM universe would be fun.
not kid bit sad

JC_Creationz

Green Hill Zone
Aug 1, 2021
I wouldn't describe it as something Penders would do. I would describe it something like a sort of metaseries. similar to the Marvel universe or with Star Wars.

And that it would be a franchise that is able to encompass themes that the Sonic franchise couldn't encompass or that it could encompass, but they had certain limitations and restrictions like it was in Sonic Adventure 2.

Being the theme of terrorism and casualties both civilian and military in the Dark Story. Because the military always sent robots and not human soldiers to stop Eggman. And if they were machines controlled by humans as in the case of the B-3X Hot Shot, they simply stop working after several hits and the pilot was always unharmed, there was no civilian presence to eliminate. Not to mention that in one part of that story Prison Island is destroyed but we don't see people die during the explosion.

Mobius should cover those issues, albeit in a more realistic way, ie. That there is presence of human soldiers or beings that are alive and not machines and that these die in the most brutal ways possible, nothing to stay there lying on the ground as happened in Shadow The Hedgehog. That there are civilians and that these die by x attack of x villain, that the machines controlled by someone on board end up exploding and that the pilot dies in that explosion and that when destroying x place, we see people die during that explosion.
The last thing i want is a Sonic story that is similar to Star Wars or Marvel

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
What if I told you, that the reason why there's no more serious stories in Sonic, is because of Ken Penders and Ken Penders only. He's the reason why Sonc has no personality, isn't allowed to have any serious emotions, and heck, if it weren't for him, SatAM had a chance of becoming canon to the main storyline. He's the main reason for the cancellation of the third season of SatAM too, and he went so overboard with the serious storylines in Archie that no games or any Sonic media were allowed to be serious anymore. If they even TRY to make a serious story again, Penders will sue them.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
What if I told you, that the reason why there's no more serious stories in Sonic, is because of Ken Penders and Ken Penders only. He's the reason why Sonc has no personality, isn't allowed to have any serious emotions, and heck, if it weren't for him, SatAM had a chance of becoming canon to the main storyline. He's the main reason for the cancellation of the third season of SatAM too, and he went so overboard with the serious storylines in Archie that no games or any Sonic media were allowed to be serious anymore. If they even TRY to make a serious story again, Penders will sue them.
I don't care about Penders' claims. Besides, if SEGA can't do serious stories with Sonic, because heck they still have it in their hands, they should sell the IP to another company like Atlus, for Atlus to add a lot of things that SEGA couldn't do.

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
I had to stop reading at "Sonic was never Family Friendly". That is absolutely bullshit. It's a kids game, it's family friendly by default and that's not a bad thing at all. A game being serious doesn't take that away. The only Sonic game that's not really family friendly is Shadow the Hedgehog and that's with the swearing lol

I don't care about Penders' claims. Besides, if SEGA can't do serious stories with Sonic, because heck they still have it in their hands, they should sell the IP to another company like Atlus, for Atlus to add a lot of things that SEGA couldn't do.
That is not how the industry works at all.

Literally that isn't true at all. That's not how copyright works. THAT'S NOT HOW ANYTHING WORKS

Ken cannot and would not sue someone for making Sonic serious. What the fuck is the copyright infridgement there? He sued over the characters he created, not a character he does not own's tone. (This isn't to defend Ken, because he was slimey and shitty about the whole thing anyways) But augh seriously how do you people say such misinformed things???

Also why the heck would SatAM be canon to begin with? That isn't Ken's doing. SatAM was never gonna be canon because *it's a completely seperate continuity for a different Sonic media*. It never had a chance, it was its own thing just like every other Sonic cartoon.

Last edited:

Kazhnuz

Green Hill Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Just here.
kazhnuz.space
Penders is completely unrelated to SEGA targeting a slightly different public than before (only slightly, because even the darkest they did was familly friendly and pretty tame). The most he have affected for the game is certainly having helped sending Chronicles down to oblivion, but even that might not be 100% is doing.

He also have nothing to do with the cancellation of SatAM, it was mostly a problem with the channel. The most he did about that is that he made Ben Hurst have even less chance to do his movies, by painting that Ben Hurst wanted to be hired by SEGA to do that in a not really charitable way (according to Ben Hurst himself), but even that was nearly doomed to fail, because that's not how licencing part, you aren't paid by SEGA to do Sonic stuff (except if you are working on SEGA projects, of course), you pay SEGA for the authorization of making Sonic stuff.

Even on the comic, he isn't related to most of the "mandates" (that often are just rules that SEGA that their official comics should respect their vision of their own IP).

Ken Penders mostly harmed the comics and his own reputation. He have had a lot of problematic behaviour, but he didn't and still doesn't have the power to change that much stuff outside of his work… which is now nothing as he burned every possible bridge. And for me the biggest proof that he doesn't have influenced the games to become less "serious/mature" is that… the change of tone started with Unleashed, and continued with Colors that both were dev and released before the lawsuit.

So no relationship with the lawsuit.

Sonic is family friendly because they target a young-teen/pre-teen public, as they do that since basically forever. Even the "darkest" stuff like SA2, Black Knight or even Shadow was really clean and not that "mature". The fact that Shadow and 2006 where heavily seen as the worst thing ever didn't help to see that it was a way worth going to.

I won't say that there isn't any writing problem (For me IDWSonic and - ironically - the Sonic Channel stories shows how it could become better on some aspect), but the question is for me not just "they made it for kids now it sucks".

SEGA have absolutely NO interest in selling their best selling IP just because some people on the internet (thus a small fraction of the actual buyer) want something. There is no "they should sell it", why would they say one of the thing that help them keeping in a good shape ?

Rendangbike

Sonic never said "Gotta go fast"
Sep 26, 2021
Give me one example of a Sonic game rated T, Even Shadow the Hedgehog was rated E10 for God's sake

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Give me one example of a Sonic game rated T, Even Shadow the Hedgehog was rated E10 for God's sake
The closest thing to a T-rated Sonic game would be the Archie comics (Pre-SGW) and Sonic X (Japanese version).

But there were never videogames based on those adaptations and I want videogames based on those adaptations, I don't want all those ideas, story, lore, characters etc. To be trapped forever in those adaptations.

Status
Not open for further replies.