SAGE 2020 - Demo BuKnight: The Order of The Golden Crest (DEMO v0.5)

Overview

Summary:
The village of Carrottia is under attack from the wolves (again)... and they have company. It's up to the rookie Bonnie to save the day from this canine menace. Jump, slash and spin through the various tracks to fight back and recover the parts of Carrottia's sacred treasure: The Golden Crest.

BuKnight is a fun and speedy action-platformer mixing the late-90s era mascot fever with the mid-2000s indie game craze. Use your up- and downsmash attacks, as well as the special swirling move to hurl pain at your enemies or to change your momentum and dodge their attacks as your zoom past or towards them.

Stay tuned and enjoy!

11b2ba10-cc66-495a-80bd-317f8d23bb6a.png

Features

• Cute 2D animals in a medieval setting
  • Breakneck speed platforming
  • Slashy-swirly action
  • A password/cheat system
  • Two areas with two stages.
  • Completely inauthentic retro sound and visuals
screenshot101.png

Controls:
Arrow keys - Movement, jumping and crouching/climbing down
W - Looking up and climbing up
X - Standard attack, holding up and down midair can make it an up- or down-smash
C - Whirling attack, grants invincibility during animation.
P - Pause the game
Enter - Navigating the menus
Esc - Quit

Updates

~~~​
Knights, we have recently hit 200 downloads as of the last day of SAGE2020. That is colossal. To put it in perspective, double the people have downloaded the game in the span these here few days than since the inception of the project, everywhere, in total. Moreover, you have given me tons of feedback and encouragement over both here, Itch and even Discord. I cannot thank you enough.

As such, I have spent the last few days drafting up a roadmap of things to add and improve for the next release:
  • Neutral air attack - Almost everybody have requested this, so it's high time for it to come. Air-X will feature a sideways swooping swing that will cancel your vertical momentum. This way it will not make ground attacks obsolete.
  • BowFox nerf - BowFox gave many of you troubles with her angled shooting and her fast reloading, so the latter will be reduced significantly to give her more of a sniper feel. The fast-firing role will later be fulfilled with a new enemy type, the Ballista.
  • Enemy number culling - Lot of you complained that there are way too many enemies in the stages, this will be revised.
  • Wolf Grunt super armor - The wolf trooper as of now is more of a damage sponge than a threat, so the next update will make him attack regardless off being hurt.
  • Enemies flying up walls, the 'anykey' speed holding and other issues - Lots of these stem from outdated and confusing code that ended up as a result of not really thinking forwards but with no time to remake it for the expo. Rest assured most of the features will be most likely rebuilt from the ground up as we move forwards.
I'm happy that you enjoyed this project so far and you gave me motivation to continue. Here is to hope for an even better game for 2021.

Happy hopping and take care.

Can't wait a whole year? Subscribe to my RSS feed on Pawoo for bite sized updates or check out my Toyhouse for BuKnight-related art.

Credits

Sound Effects: http://osabisi.sakura.ne.jp/m2/
BGM: http://greentone.ina-ka.com/
Game Maker 8: YoYoGames
Font: Manfred Klein
Special thanks: Zejgar, for all the script magic

...and you, for being awesome enough to read all of these. <3

Latest reviews

This is a great game centered around an interesting character, I would love to learn more about her in the future. You did a great job at meshing together the eras you were aiming for. I do believe the enemies need a bit of work though, perhaps some nerfing to their AI, or as another reviewer suggested, giving the player some defensive moves.
The sound was amazing, both the music and the voice acting. I look forward to seeing where you take the finished game.
Reactions: The-Syreth-Clan
I can see what you're trying to accomplish here, but there are still a couple of things that I need to complain about. The game is quite unbalanced, enemies can shoot you off-screen which can lead to unfair deaths and hits. There's no real reward for defeating enemies, so the best thing to do is just avoid them since you will get hit anyway due to the enemy's aim. Also about the enemy's aim, it's quite hard to avoid getting hit by the enemy since their aim is nearly perfect and will get you unless if you're running. A recommendation I would add is some kind of defensive move to protect yourself against enemies. The least I can give this is a good rating since you have some great ideas but they need ironing out. Fix these problems and I bet you'll have something amazing here.
Reactions: The-Syreth-Clan

Comments

Which version of Game Maker was this made in? I played it on my stream, and the old Game Maker stuff really threw me back. Especially the midis.

I like the main character. She's kinda a bamf. The swordplay was fun, though I wish there was controller support. (Unless there is, and mine didn't work for it.) Might come back to this one!

Which version of Game Maker was this made in? I played it on my stream, and the old Game Maker stuff really threw me back. Especially the midis.

I like the main character. She's kinda a bamf. The swordplay was fun, though I wish there was controller support. (Unless there is, and mine didn't work for it.) Might come back to this one!
It's made in Game Maker 8.0. Thanks for the feedback and the rating, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately there is no controller support so you'll need to use something like JoyToKey.

It's made in Game Maker 8.0. Thanks for the feedback and the rating, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately there is no controller support so you'll need to use something like JoyToKey.
Understood. Controller support is a PAIN in Game Maker 8.0. I know that from experience. I'll try it out with JoyToKey next time. I'm out of practice with the keyboard, lol

Item information

Added by
The-Syreth-Clan
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.33 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item