Fan Game Sonic Project J (working title)

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019
4842 Hey there! So this is my first time posting here, but I wanted to share some of the progress I made on my Sonic MUGEN game.

So far the only character is Sonic. Sonic is the template character here, and all other fighters will be based off of him in some way. Sonic himself is about 55-60% done at this point.
-So I've setup 3 types of normals: High Attacks, Low Attacks, and Heavies. High and Low attacks have must be blocked by their respective blocking counterparts, and heavies are your knockdown/combo finisher moves.

-I've setup an air-combo system, though some things within that system do still need a bit of work.

4133 4134 4135
-Sonic currently has a total of 3 specials. The actual use of these specials ties into his central mechanic, which is using the LightSpeed Charge to build meter and gain access to better specials. The ones shown here are his Level 0 specials. Character meters will max out at Level 4.

-Just recently I added in a Parry system. It's just the standing parry as of now, but I'll most likely have a crouching and jumping parry by the time you've read to this point.

So, as of now Sonic is near completion, and I've begun work on the second character. I'm trying to get a playable demo out at some point soon, and that build will feature 4 characters, each will fill in an archetype: Standard: Simple, Standard: Complex, and two other playstyle types that I don't want to reveal just yet.

So yeah, that's about all I got so far. I plan to share more info here, so if you're interested then stay tuned!

UPDATE: March 3rd, 2020

Tails has started development! First things first, he is a lot lighter than Sonic, can jump higher, and has 1 extra jump.

Tails, unlike Sonic can also dash in mid-air.

More updates soon.

UPDATE: March 18th, 2020

Finshed the High Attack Combo for Tails
First hit of Low Attack can dodge Low Hitting moves.

CHARACTER COMPLETION STATUS:

Sonic: 92%
Tails: 7%

Apr. 8th, 2020
LV4Sonic.gif

Last edited:

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019
Hey, so remember that thing about me updating this page more?....Yeaaah, sorry about that. Development has officially started on Tails, and Sonic himself is about 85% complete! Stay tuned for more (When I remember to update this page and not just the Game Jolt page)!

Attachments

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019
Aw yeah, things are happening.
(Working on balancing this, but I thought this was funny)

Reactions: RobC

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020
Odd coincidence, as I was just working on a very similar game, namely Team Sonic Fighters.
Either way, this is still quite solid.

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019

A time-lapse video in which I create the victory portraits for both Sonic and Tails.

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019
5011 5012 5013 5014
Burst Boost is a powerful tool that gives Tails access to his aerial tools...with the cost of self-damage on hit.

Tails is about 50% complete at this point. Development on the other 2 characters has started recently.

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019
Noice!

Also, what's the roster you have in mind? What characters do you want to include? It's fine if you want to keep that secret though.
So far I plan on 4 characters for this demo. Sonic and Tails are the first two, but the last two I want to keep a secret until they are further along in their development.

RetroX

Mains Ken Probably
Oct 23, 2019

Took me all day yesterday to finish this, but here is Sonic's Level 4 Super.