don't click here

Would Sonic have worked as well if he wasn't Blue?

StarlightSeelig

Resident procrastinator
Sep 6, 2017
Butte, Montana
Think about it, part of Sonic's overall "cool" appeal was the palette choice of his blue with the red shoes. Would he have been nearly as popular if he were any other color? Standard brown? Green? Red with blue shoes?

Personally, I don't think Sonic wouldn't have taken off nearly as much had they done any other color.

GidiGoatGuy

A Quintessential Existential Conundrum
Sep 5, 2017
This is a really interesting question and I agree.

After doing some incredibly advanced color research (i.e. looking up "human response to color" on Google), I've found that people respond similarly to colors near each other on the color spectrum. This means that colors like teal or even purple can have a similar effects to that of blue. So maybe Sonic could have been purple or teal with the shoes being complementary to the base color and he would have been just as popular.

In the end I do think blue was the best choice for Sonic. Probably because it's hard for me to imagine a world where he isn't blue.

InstantSonic

Green Hill Zone
Apr 27, 2017
Well, he probably was another color, but there's a reason why there's a creative process in the concept phase to narrow down the design of a character, not to mention blue is a no-brainier for mascot to represent Sega. I honestly couldn't see another outcome.