don't click here

Why are there almost no Sonic fangames based on multimedia adaptations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Hi. I've seen tons of Sonic fangames of all kinds.

-Games that try to imitate the classic formula of Genesis games
-Games that try to imitate the formula of the Sonic Adventure
-Games that try to imitate the formula of Modern games

And endless fangames that it is impossible for me to rate them one by one.

But. What about Sonic fangames that are based on adaptations to other media? They should know that not all people who are followers of the blue hedgehog are fans of their games. There are people who prefer animated series more and others prefer comics. This is because those people were disappointed to see that their childhood character is not what they seem when they play their games for the first time.

Unfortunately. I am one of those people who knew Sonic through his multimedia adaptations and not in video games. Well, every time they release a new official Sonic game, they do not take advantage of the elements of all those adaptations at all, they do not even put characters like Scratch and Grounder as Eggman's henchmen. I prefer them a thousand times than Orbot and Cubot.

I try to find a fangame that is based on Sonic SatAM/Archie, but the only ones I found are Sonic Transitions, Sonic RPG, a Sonic World mod that adds characters from Archie Comics and Sonic Universe RP (a game made on Roblox). But I feel that these games have no future and sooner or later their development will be abandoned and canceled, as is the case with almost all fangames that seem promising and have a lot of potential, but end up being canceled.

I wish some day there was a game based on Archie Sonic, and that it was a kind of retelling of the story that occurred in the Pre-SGW timeline.

From that game, I want you to bet on a darker and more mature story, with a more complex narrative that has elements of dark fantasy combined with dystopian cyberpunk.

And that has as influences and inspiration Berserk (manga), Jak & Daxter (Jak 2 and onwards) and Oddworld.

But only time will tell.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
I try to find a fangame that is based on Sonic SatAM/Archie, but the only ones I found are Sonic Transitions, Sonic RPG, a Sonic World mod that adds characters from Archie Comics and Sonic Universe RP (a game made on Roblox). But I feel that these games have no future and sooner or later their development will be abandoned and canceled, as is the case with almost all fangames that seem promising and have a lot of potential, but end up being canceled.
Really? No future? What a shame...

I know there is a list of Sonic SatAM fan games over here. I don’t know of any based off of the comics, but I’ll be sure to keep an eye out.

Reactions: SoggyDoggy

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I find it ironic that few fans dare to make games based on Sonic SatAM, but not games based on the comics made by Archie. That would be the continuation of the story of Sonic SatAM.

The only fangames based on Archie that I have found, so far. They are Sonic Nebulous, Sonic Universe RP (a game made on Roblox), and the Archie Comics Pack mod for Sonic World.

Could you tell me why?

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
The Archie comics weren’t really a continuation of SatAM. They were very different stories that started in a similar setting.

Besides devolving into insanity halfway through its run, I’m not really sure why the comics don’t inspire more fan games. It could simply be that the comics resonate with more people who aren’t interested in game design, but that’s just speculation.

There is, of course, Sonic Brutus, an RPG based on Sonic the Comic. I’m pretty interested to see that develop.

Coderman64

Sound Test
Oct 2, 2019
coderman64.github.io
I'll chime in. I'm not aware of any fangames based on alternate media other than the ones that have already been mentioned. I think the reason is that these incarnations of Sonic depend heavily on story elements to define them, whereas Classic, Adventure, and Modern Sonic are more defined based on game mechanics. I've noticed that many fangames shy away from focusing on the story (with notable exceptions), so it is much easier to make a Classic, Adventure, or Modern game instead of a SatAM, Archie, or Fleetway game, for example. Not to mention that assets for the official games are already readily available from various sources.

I would love to see some games attempt to replicate styles from the alternative media though, similar to how Sonic Freedom is attempting to recreate the feel of the OVA and the Sonic CD intro in gameplay.

Reactions: PM13

SoggyDoggy

Marble Zone
Jun 18, 2019
Haha, so bleak to imagine we will all just stop working on our games. I have no plans to stop!

I also grew up with Archie Sonic and would love to see an Archie Sonic game! There have definitely been some Archie-ish games, like the Chaotix RPGMaker games and what not, but these often tend to feel less rooted in Archie specifically and more heterogeneous; sampling a broad set of Sonic fandom.

I think the reason for this is probably because much of the comic series, in retrospect, was hit-or-miss and stylistically and aesthetically inconsistent, making it hard to imagine new stories and characters occupying its world vs a more internally consistent world like SatAM.

But even assuming that’s not the issue, the comic series went on for so long that it created a huge cast of characters. As some have mentioned, the art assets to do a faithful Archie game with 20+ unique characters would be overwhelming, to say the least.

Reactions: PM13

JC_Creationz

Green Hill Zone
Aug 1, 2021
Bro you make SO MANY POSTS ABOUT COMPLAINING ABOUT SONIC FANGAMES LIKE JESUS ITS A FANGAME SO WHAT IF THEIR ISNT ANY GAMES BASED OF A SHOW THAT GOT CANCELED IN THE 90's LIKE MOVE ON THE PAST WAS THE PAST THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION, And even though that's sad it true

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
Bro you make SO MANY POSTS ABOUT COMPLAINING ABOUT SONIC FANGAMES LIKE JESUS ITS A FANGAME SO WHAT IF THEIR ISNT ANY GAMES BASED OF A SHOW THAT GOT CANCELED IN THE 90's LIKE MOVE ON THE PAST WAS THE PAST THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION, And even though that's sad it true
wait why did you bump this one? for a second there, i thought the topic got a mass post deletion along with a topic title change LOL

but you're at least somewhat right though

Status
Not open for further replies.