don't click here

The cycle of Sonic fangames must end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Sonic Spinball might be the game that fits your description fully. It has elements from SatAM, AoStH, etc. And it's an official game.
Sonic Spinball, of SatAM has very little. As you know, this game was created as a complement for a game based on Sonic SatAM that unfortunately was cancelled.

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Spinball has the atmosphere, roboticization process, and dark tones of SatAM, aswell as characters from it that make a cameo too.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Spinball has the atmosphere, roboticization process, and dark tones of SatAM, aswell as characters from it that make a cameo too.
Admit it. It's just a pinball game with Sonic being the ball and it was made in anticipation of the next game based on Sonic SatAM which was much more ambitious but ended up being cancelled. Too bad.

If only there was someone to make a fangame based on reviving that cancelled game, the same way they did with Sonic X-Treme. If you don't know which game I mean, it was called Sonic-16.

And if you are still in doubt. Search the Internet about that cancelled game so you know what I'm talking about.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
Sonic Spinball, of SatAM has very little. As you know, this game was created as a complement for a game based on Sonic SatAM that unfortunately was cancelled.
Spinball released in November of 1993 in the USA. SatAM began airing in December of 1993. The one video demo of Sonic-16 was copyrighted November of 1993.

Spinball was using SatAM concepts likely before everything in the first season of the show was finalized.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I watched the trailer for SAGE 2021 and found it to be a disappointment. I haven't seen any fangame that is based on AOSTH, SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, Underground and Sonic X. The only game I've seen that is based on one of those adaptations is Sonic RPG.

This is proof that Sonic fans are not real fans and most of them are from the crystal generation who only played the most current games like Generations, Lost World, Mania and Forces. And from the previous games, they only played Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 that are on Steam. As for adaptations, they only remember Sonic Boom, IDW comics and the 2020 movie.

These people have no culture. They should do the MAGE event so as to encourage those people to make games based on those pre-2010 adaptations to do them some justice. If they could do that RAGE event, I want them to do the same with MAGE.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
I’m sorry you are blinded by your incredibly specific search. There were several games in the trailer that looked intriguing and fun to play! If you’re looking for something specific, maybe you should make a game to bring to the table.

Proof they aren’t real fans? That’s a silly stretch. The Sonic franchise is huge! There are bound to be a variety of things for many fans to love. It’s incredibly arrogant to say someone isn’t a real fan because they like other aspects of the franchise more than your preference.

And the game list? That’s a pretty good chunk of the popular Sonic games, so I’m not sure that helps the point you’re trying to make? Besides that, one of the SAGE entries is a Sonic Riders fan game (which made me real giddy to see, not gonna lie.)

I think it’s silly to suggest an entirely new game creation event as someone who refuses to make their dream game and instead finds whining on forums to be a better use of their time.

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
TIL I'm not a true Sonic fan and I'm a purist because I'm making a classic-styled fangame. Even though I just want to make what I want to make regardless of being a fan of several media of the franchise. (I LOVE SatAM for crying outloud, but I'm not interested in making a game based on it)

Also MAGE is a terrible idea. It's not gonna magically will a bunch of Archie/SatAM/etc fangames into existance just because you demand people to. That event is barely gonna have much because *no one* decided "oh there's an event based on a specific niche, I'll dedicate years of my life to make this game for it"

If people are going to make a game based on what you want, it'll be at SAGE and other existing fangame conventions. Splitting the event into two isn't gonna magically fufill your needs. It's also pretty funny that you conviently overlook some fangames that aren't doing the usual gameplay, did you view the trailer for 4 seconds before deciding we're not "true" fans?

Go make a fucking fangame yourself and get off your high horse. please lmao

Last edited:

PixelMonkey

Aug 29, 2017
Be the change you want to see in the world.
There are fan works out there that are more closely related to the shows, comics, and other stories, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that the more story-focused media prompts more story-focused fan works, while fangames draw more inspiration from the games themselves.
SFGHQ is all about exploring what's possible in fangames, and while people have often focused more closely on what previous games have done and working around those design choices, we're not going to exclude a game that focuses on a different chunk of the series. If you want to work on something like that, you'll probably find an audience for it.
You've talked about what you'd like to see, and that's fine, but don't be that guy and talk about how others aren't "real fans" for focusing on what they want to focus on. Be respectful and you will be treated with respect in turn. Being disrespectful of those putting time and effort into what the community is all about has no place here.

Reactions: XtremeBlueTronic

DaisukeDoi

Super Mod
Aug 22, 2020
If I can also add, fangames are made for the passion of the people making them. They aren't, nor should they, be made to cater to your specific whims and needs. That sounds harsh, but sorry, fangames aren't made specifically for you.

There's no "harmful cycle", people can make whatever they want to make. The world doesn't revolve around you, and you shouldn't expect everyone to be at your beck and call

Reactions: YoannUlrichNdri

Kazhnuz

Green Hill Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Just here.
kazhnuz.space
Wow that's a big amount of salt for something so specific.

I'll just says everybody says : if you want something done, simply do it. People that actually takes the time to make stuff won't try to make stuff you like just because you insulted them (I would say that's even the opposite). Just crying of rage that people doesn't gather to your hyperspecific interest will just make you look ridiculous, and even make people less interested in the non-mainstream media, because some will associate them with those behaviour (like some people dislike SatAM/Archie simply because of their interaction with some abusive fans).

Or if you 100% can't, simply make non-mainstream stuff more well-known. There are a lot of stuff that aren't based on mainstream Sonic in the fangame world, so simply search them, and help them being more known. Basically, stop being lazy and wanting people that are doing stuff for free to give you the exact things that you want, especially with how specific it is.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Gatekeeping and uncooperative conduct
I return once again. And we must tell you that there are fangames, mods and hacks based on the pre-2010 adaptations that Sonic has had. But most of them are simply almost the same as the official games, only with another skin, while others only add a character from one of those adaptations and nothing else.

Here is the list of fangames, mods and hacks that I have found on the Internet so far:
-Adventures of Sonic Mania Mod for Sonic Mania
-Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog Mod for Sonic Mania
-American Sonic + Fleetway Super Sonic Mod for Sonic Mania
-Archie Comics Pack Mod for Sonic World
-Breezie Over Rouge Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Bumper Engine
-Bunnie in Sonic 1 (Sonic 1 Hack)
-Comic/SatAM Inspired Theme Mod for Sonic World
-Cosmo Mod for Sonic World
-Dr. Robotnik AoStH Mod for Sonic Mania
-Dr. Robotnik AoStH Plus Mod for Sonic Mania
-Eclipse the Darkling Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Fleetway Super Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Manic and Sonia Mod for Sonic World
-Manic and Sonia Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Manic themed sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Metal Scourge Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Miles Prower (Anti-Miles) Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Princess Sally as Knuckles Mod for Sonic Mania
-Project S.R.T Mod for Sonic Mania
-Project Sonic (Sonic X) - Miles "Tails" Prower Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Pseudo Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Ron Lim's Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Sally Acorn Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Sally Acorn Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Sally in Sonic 1 (Sonic 1 Hack)
-Sally in Sonic 2 (Sonic 2 Hack)
-SEO Sonic Simulator (Roblox Fangame)
-Scourge Mania Plus (Sonic Mania Mod)
-Scourge The Hedgehog Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Scourge The Hedgehog Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Scourge Themed Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Sonic 3 and Sally (Sonic 3 Hack)
-Sonic Adventure: Revolution
-Sonic Epoch Advance
-Sonic Rush - The Scourge of Mobius
-Sonic the Hedgehog: Brutus
-Sonic the Hedgehog RPG
-Sonic Transitions
-Sonic Underground DX Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic Universe RP (Roblox Fangame)
-Sonic Worlds Delta Revamped
-Sonic X costume for Amy Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic X Scouter Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Super Robotnik Land Remake
-Tales of Phantasy: a Sonic and Klonoa RPG
-The S Factor Sonia and Silver (Sonic 1 Hack)
-vs. Fleetway Super Sonic Plus Mod for Sonic Mania

In conclusion. It seems that fans do not take full advantage of the potential of these adaptations and only limit themselves to make skins or add a new mechanic and nothing else. What a wasted potential.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
And all of this “wasted potential” demonstrates something you have yet to display: the willingness to do something.

Most of these projects aren’t trying to be revolutionary. They had a neat idea and set out to make it a reality. Remember: even the smallest tweaks take some work.

If you have a specific vision (which you do) then go make it a reality.

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
wait what the shit why is "Sonic Worlds Delta Revamped" and "Bumper Engine" there

PixelMonkey

Aug 29, 2017
Just to be perfectly clear: stop complaining of "wasted potential" and lamenting the lack of catering to your specific tastes.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Please don't ignore the past. That's history and should be preserved somehow and I'm talking about all the pre-2010 adaptations Sonic has had. Well, the franchise is 30 years old and there are people who don't know all those adaptations, you have to preserve all that, yes or yes. Whether they like it or not, because sooner or later it will become Lost Media and future generations will not be able to enjoy those adaptations because they are already lost.

Please don't treat me that way. I'm not some kind of Chris-Chan or anything like that. I also didn't come here to program and create my own game, because you should know that I don't have the necessary resources to create my own game. I don't even have a professional PC that must cost a fortune.

Making a game based on an existing work seems to me quite complicated and difficult because you have to know how you are going to adapt it to a videogame. For example, you try to make a game style for a specific character, but in the original work, the character is a weakling that doesn't know how to do anything and the only thing he does is to be a simple spectator and making a game about that character would be like making a simulator of a pathetic secondary character that doesn't know how to do anything.

In fact, I don't even have the resources to be a good drawer, I draw very badly using the mouse and I don't have the money to buy a graphic tablet. Which frustrates me, because I want to make concept art drawings of specific characters and it doesn't come out well as I expected.

I'm not good at modeling and animation. Because I don't know how to use programs like Blender for the 3D models of the characters I want to make for my own game and I end up making aberrations that make me want to put a paper bag over them so I don't see their horrible faces. As for the animations, I don't know how it is that of the animations and try to make one, it would be like several lines of code so that the result is a very ugly and deformed animation that you won't have option to eliminate it to not suffer more.

As for programming. I don't know how to use programs like Game Maker Studio or Unity. Well, you have to learn by heart about 10000 lines of code, so that then the game crashes when you try to test it because a line of code went wrong or is poorly written.

And one last thing. I live in a third world country where inflation is so high and money is so devaluated that you can't afford to buy a pack of cookies.

That's all I have said about my reasons why I can't make my own game. I hope you are happy.

PixelMonkey

Aug 29, 2017
People not making fangames about this stuff isn't going to push them over the edge into "lost media". Preserving this stuff is important, and if this is something you're passionate about I'm not going to ask you to stop caring about it, but that's a different matter entirely to what you're posting here.
If you don't have the skillset to develop your own games, it's still an option to learn, and that's specifically the sort of thing this community is here for. You don't need to spend a fortune on a computer, be a good artist, or memorise code to begin. What this community ISN'T for is putting down those who HAVE put in the time and effort to learn. I really don't know how to make this clearer, and I'm not sure why you're actually here if you're more interested in talking about the things you dislike in the community without doing anything yourself. I'm not having a go at you to make myself happy, but I don't get the impression you're happy about anything you're posting either, frankly.
Do you understand the point I'm trying to make here, or not?

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Honestly, I understand how you feel. I wish people cared about the comics and SatAM more too, but the sad thing is that even if people wanted to, Ken Penders would probably sue us for using any of the Pre-SGW characters

Reactions: NDxDirectorsCut

NDxDirectorsCut

Green Hill Zone
Aug 4, 2021
Eastern Europe
I've been reading this thread for a bit, im new to the forums

How is it still going man, JPC seems to be taking this well too seriously, if people dont make games about something it won't become lost media, that makes no sense especially most of this stuff is already preserved, and believe me while there isnt a Sonic X or SatAM or whatever you want fan-game, alot of people know that media exists because it's been referenced and reused in so many other ways, be it analysis in form of a youtube video, or even old YTPs

Also how is JPC mad that there aren't fan-games based on his specific vision, when he hasn't made an effort to have one made besides making a thread that's bitchy more than anything
Anyway imma go before i add to much fuel to the fire

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
Honestly, I understand how you feel. I wish people cared about the comics and SatAM more too, but the sad thing is that even if people wanted to, Ken Penders would probably sue us for using any of the Pre-SGW characters
As shitty as Ken Penders is, I don't think he's gonna sue over fan content lol

Status
Not open for further replies.