don't click here

Fan Game [!PLAYTESTERS WANTED!] Team Sonic Fighters

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020

Introducing Team Sonic Fighters, an MvC style MUGEN Sonic fangame. It features everything you've come to know and love about the MvC series, and more!
The game features tag team gameplay, complete with assists and snap-backs.

The combo system works as follows:​
Light Normals > Medium Normals > Heavy Normals
Normals > Unique Normals > Special Moves > Hyper Moves
Assists can also be used during combos

I'm aiming for a roster of 16 characters: not too big, not too small, if you know what I mean.
Sonic
Playstyle: All-rounder with an emphasis on rushdown

Completion: 100%

Movelist:

Unique Normals:
Sliding Kick (->+C)
Does a lot of knockback.

Special Moves:
Spin Dash (QCF+X/Y/Z to begin charging, A/B/C to release)
Sonic's signature move. Works great for combos.

Sonic Somersault (QCB+A/B/C)
A simple multi-hit move. Not much more to say about it.

Sonic Slide (X/Y/Z, follow-up for Sonic Somersault)
Sonic slides towards his opponent, tripping him up if it hits. If used well, it will allow you to greatly extend your combos.

Sonic Dive (QCB+A/B/C, air only)
Just another sky kick move, nothing to see here.

Hyper Moves:
Spin Buzzer (QCF+XYZ x2, Level 1 hyper)
A powered-up Spin Dash. Works exactly as you'd expect.

Rising Dance (QCB+ABC x2, Level 1 hyper)
One of Sonic's win animations made into a hyper move. Knocks the opponent high up into the air on the last hit.

Sonic Rush (QCF+ABC x2, Level 3 hyper)
Sonic grabs the opponent. If he successfully grabs his opponent, Sonic does a flurry of attacks, ending with the Sonic Slide, and then jumps up to spike the opponent down to the ground.

Shadow
Playstyle: Highly technical all-rounder

Movelist:

Special Moves:
Chaos Spear (QCF+X/Y/Z)
Shadow throws a Chaos Spear. A simple projectile.

Shadow Teleport (DP+X/Y/Z)
Shadow teleports a set distance away from him, which varies depending on the punch button that you used to perform the move.

Chaos Burst (QCB+X/Y/Z)
Shadow lets loose a burst of Chaos energy. Causes a wall bounce on hit.

Chaos Snap (QCF+A/B/C)
Shadow snaps his fingers to create a stationary projectile a set distance away from him, which varies depending on the kick button that you used to perform the move.

Shadow Dive (QCB+A/B/C, air only)

Shadow Counter (QCB+A/B/C)
Shadow gets into a guarding stance for a brief period of time. If he gets hit while in this stance, Shadow will teleport behind his opponent and hit him with a sequence of kicks.

Hyper Moves:
Triple Chaos Spear (QCF+XYZ x2, Level 1 hyper)
Shadow throws 3 Chaos Spears in quick succession.

Snap Quintro (QCF+ABC x2, Level 1 hyper)
Shadow creates 5 Chaos Snap projectiles, each one higher than the last. the 5th one knocks the opponent far away.

Chaos Control (QCB+ABC x2, Level 2 hyper)
Shadow pulls out his Chaos Emerald, and uses it to perform Chaos Control and stop time for 10 seconds.

Chaos Blast (HCF+XYZ x2, Level 3 hyper)
Shadow lets out all his energy to create a massive explosion that does lots of damage.

Knuckles
Playstyle: Brute that packs a punch, but really needs to get in to do damage

Movelist:

Unique Normals:
Double Punch (->+Z)
Does a lot of knockback.

Special Moves:
Rising Upper (DP+X/Y/Z)
Just your typical multi-hit DP. Works exactly as you'd expect.

Grounded Upper (DP+A/B/C)
Knuckles lunges forward, and then strikes upwards. Great for juggles. Functions as a launcher.

Explosion Fist (HCF+X/Y/Z)
Knuckles lunges forward, and then punches so hard that it causes an explosion. Causes a wall bounce on hit. Has a pretty long startup time.

Knuckles Glider (QCF+X/Y/Z, A/B/C to cancel, air only)
Knuckles glides toward his opponent. The move can be cancelled at any time by pressing any kick button.

Hyper Moves:
Ground Smash (QCF+XYZ x2, Level 1 hyper)
Knuckles punches the ground to cause an explosion, which knocks the opponent upwards. Great for juggles.

Upper Combination (QCF+ABC x2, Level 1 hyper)
Knuckles does 2 Rising Uppers, and then finishes with a fiery Rising Upper.

Multi-Meteor Crush (QCF+XYZ x2, Level 1 hyper, air only)
Knuckles makes 15 rocks fall from the sky in randomized positions.

Fistful o' Fury (HCF+XYZ x2, Level 3 hyper)
Knuckles does a flurry of punches, finishing with an uppercut, followed by an Explosion Fist. A very damaging move.

Tails
Playstyle: Keepaway/zoner character with great agility and setups

Movelist:

Special Moves:
Tails Spin (QCB+A/B/C, air OK)
Tails does a twirling jump forward. Distance depends on which kick button you use.

Fist Trap (QCB+X/Y/Z)
Tails reveals a hole in front of him. If the opponent steps in the hole, a fist contraption will rise out of the hole. Functions as a launcher.

Tails Pounce (DP+X/Y/Z)
Tails does a forward pounce attack. Works reasonably well for anti-air, and is also a command grab.

Hyper Moves:

Tails Whirlwind (QCB+ABC x2, Level 1 hyper)
Tails spins around for a little while. If it hits, then at the end of the initial spin, Tails will do a fist hook attack, and end it with a twirling leap forward.

Flying Slam (DP+XYZ x2, Level 1 hyper)
Tails does a forward leap attack. If it hits, Tails tosses his opponent up into the air, flies up to chase him, and then slams him back down to the ground. Shares its traits with Tails Pounce.

Final Flight (QCF+ABC x2, Level 3 hyper)
Tails does a tail swipe attack. If it hits, the opponent will be knocked off the screen. Tails will then pursue the opponent with his Tornado biplane, and crash it into him.

Espio
Playstyle: All-rounder with an emphasis on mixups

Movelist:

Unique Normals:
Lunge Kick (->+A)
Good for pokes.

Downward Kick (->+B)
A slower, but more damaging overhead move.

Overhead Punch (<-+Y)
A quicker, but less damaging overhead move.

Upward Kick (<-+C, air OK)
Functions as a pseudo-launcher.

Special Moves:
Shuriken Throw (QCF+X/Y/Z)
Espio throws a shuriken. A simple projectile.

Kunai Toss (QCF+X/Y/Z. air only)
Espio throws a throwing knife. A simple projectile.

Ninja Vanish (DP+X/Y/Z)
Espio vanishes, and then re-appears a certain distance away from where he originally did the move. Distance depends on which punch button you use.

Ninja Dodge (QCB+A/B/C)
Espio leaps backwards. Pretty self-explanatory.

Counter Dive (X, follow-up for Ninja Dodge)

Fake-out Dash (Y, follow-up for Ninja Dodge)
Espio dashes towards his opponent. Pretty self-explanatory.

Spin Dash (QCF+A/B/C, X/Y/Z to release)
Works almost exactly the same as Sonic's Spin Dash.

Amy
Playstyle: Glass cannon rushdown character

Movelist:

Unique Normals:
Continued Hammer (C, follow-up for standing C normal)
Simple follow-up that causes a knockdown.

Special Moves:
Amy Dive (QCF+A/B/C)
Amy pounces forward with a dive attack. Landing causes temporary stun.

Hammer Spin (QCB+X/Y/Z, air OK)
Amy spins with her hammer, and ends with a spiking attack downwards. The spinning propels her both upwards and forwards. Distance depends on which punch button you use.

Hammer Leap (QCB+A/B/C)
Amy leaps forward with a hammer attack. Useful for dodging projectiles. Amy also goes really high up into the air.

Jump for Joy (DP+X/Y/Z)
Just your typical DP. Works exactly as you'd expect.

Hammer Dash (HCF+X/Y/Z)
Amy dashes forward with her hammer. Pretty self-explanatory.

Sudden Stop (A, follow-up for Hammer Dash)
Amy stops running. Pretty self-explanatory.

Girl Bomber (B, follow-up for Hammer Dash)
Amy performs a butt bash attack. Causes a wall bounce on hit.

Dive Combo (C, follow-up for Hammer Dash)
Amy does a hammer attack, followed by her performing Jump for Joy, and then performing a hammer spike attack.

I hope you like it!

Join the OFFICIAL Team Sonic Fighters Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/RdEwxt9

There's also a demo build available for download there, but I advise against downloading it unless you like broken and janky stuff. (Alternatively, you can download that build here.)​

(Logo courtesy of MUGEN Guild forum user President Devon)

Last edited:

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020
Now for a much needed update on what's going on:
After some internal debating, I have decided to delay the release of Demo 2 to June of this year. Additionally, I'm going to be spending the next week on vacation, and I probably won't have internet access, so don't expect any videos until I get back.

Also worth noting is that I added a direct download link to Demo 1 to the first post for those who don't feel like going to my Discord server just to download my game. I do still encourage you to join it though.

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020
A surprise development update from yours truly:

Here, I showcase Espio's normals, throws, and other basic stuff.

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020
All reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Here, I showcase Amy's Normals, Throws, Special intro with Sonic, and other basic stuff.

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020
There comes a point where one must acknowledge their limitations. A point where one must admit defeat and ask for help.

For me, this is that point, which is why I've decided to recruit developers.

Disclaimer so people don't complain:
YOU WILL NOT BE GETTING ANY MONEY FROM THIS. Just deal with it.
And with that out of the way, let's dive right in:
First off, I'll need you to join my Discord server(at least, for now, I'll see if I can figure out a way to handle it all outside of the server later).

Also, I NEED TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE ACTUALLY COMPETENT. So it would help if you would show your background, as well as some of the things you've made or done(for example, if you're looking to join the team as a sprite artist, post your sprites).

And now, here's what I'm looking for:
  • Programmers who can work with MUGEN's proprietary programming language(hereafter referred to as MPL): Should be self-explanatory.
  • Sprite artists who can make good Sonic Advance/Battle styled sprites: These sprites are quite a bit smaller than most fighting game sprites, so they should be pretty easy to make.
  • Playtesters: Again, self-explanatory.
If you think you're up to the task, you can join by saying in either a post in this thread or a PM sent to me, that you would like to join my team, what role you would like to have out of the 3 specified above, as well as your existing work and (optionally)your background.

That's all, thanks in advance.

GeorgeMP

Green Hill Zone
May 3, 2020
A bit of an update on the status:
I have a sprite artist and a programmer. However, we are still looking for playtesters. To get started, simply join the TSF Discord and go to #dev-recruiting. From there, just type out your playtester application, or message me right here on this forum. It's also worth noting that we're still accepting applications for programmers and sprite artists(see above messages for details).
As for development, it is still progressing smoothly. For Demo 3, expect major gameplay changes.

xXPGlitz236

Green Hill Zone
Sep 26, 2021
I couldn't help but noticed some of my rouge sprites are in this game. Formerly from a canned game called "Sonic Infinite Battle".