don't click here

Fan Game Sonic Utopia

Great Lange

The Great Lange
Apr 26, 2017
The Land of Waldos

For the longest time I have felt a true 3D Sonic experience is possible. It is a concept that has been incredibly elusive and challenging to solve due to its monumental design implications and variables. However, the ingredients for an ideal formula have been there all along in the classics. They only need the right perspective and application.
But even when 3D Sonic gameplay is attempted, I always feel like the rest gets overlooked. What Sonic also had in the classics was outstanding themes and aesthetics that I have not seen truly captured since the 90s (except for say, Sonic Mania), especially not in any 3D games.
I wanted to not only achieve a long dreamed of formula for 3D Sonic gameplay, but to go the extra mile and bring with it the kind of style and feel that Sonic had in his best 90s incarnations. But my aim was not to merely mimic and regurgitate what existed, but to really reflect and expand on everything in a way that makes sense, to intelligently extrapolate.

Nearly everything you see, hear, and play in this demo was made from scratch. The only things that aren't, are placeholders (goal images, a few sound effects and jingles) and the OVA sound effects. The engine and its program, the art, models and animation, the music, and the sound effects are all freshly created. Yes, even the sounds from the Genesis games were recreated to make them more flexible (ie there are multiple variations of the ring scatter and bust sounds). The new sound effects are FM based and other forms of synthesis practiced in the 80s and 90s.
The vision I've had for Sonic's gameplay was made possible by a skilled programmer, Murasaki, who I've been working with for a while now to flesh out an ideal engine for 3D Sonic physics and mechanics. I believe that Sonic should have movement and abilities that compliment the generation and preservation of momentum that reward skillful play. More than this, Sonic should have more abilities than just verbatim translations of his 2D moves. When Mario was translated to 3D, he was given an extensive set of moves that gave the player many creative options to tackle a 3D environment, and Sonic has never really been given this same treatment.

I hope to achieve what myself and many others have wanted from a 3D Sonic game for a long time with Sonic Utopia.
In this thread, I'll be talking about some of the concepts I have for this game more in depth, complimented by various media, as well as posting updates on the game's progression.

Current Team:
Mr Lange (myself) - Art, Modeling, Animation, Sound and Music, Game Design
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJR_pdnsgf6F2fhE_okGYw
https://twitter.com/GreatLange

Murasaki Fox - Engine and Physics Programming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1VPW10KKSoFBx6bsN64qg
https://twitter.com/MurasakiKemomo

Tpot - Gameplay and Misc Programming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnNMk7bdI_AgZb8mOjdBH0A

PicsAndPixels - Textures and Concept Art
http://picsandpixels.deviantart.com/

tripplejaz - Concept Art
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDAm5FGQn1ijpEBOMw9pWZA
https://twitter.com/tripplejaz

Sean Evans - Music

In Progress:
- Polishing game framework
- Improving physics and camera
- Reworking existing and making new fundamental assets
- Solving level modeling workflow
- Design of new zone

Early demo info and download:
Early Demo Credits:
Mr Lange (myself) - Art, Modeling, Animation, Sound and Music, Game Design
Murasaki Fox - Engine and Gameplay Programming
Tpot - Additional Programming (various additions to objects, optimizations)
PicsAndPixels - Additional Artwork (monitor screens, flower bed texture, textures for a certain secret area, helpful concept art)

The early demo (v1, still very raw) can be downloaded here:
https://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/sonic-utopia-early-demo.33/
http://utopia.sonicfangameshq.com/Downloads/Sonic Utopia Demo v1.zip
Alt: http://pc0.hapisan.com/SonicUtopia10232016521.rar

The music is also available here:

Last edited:

JMan

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 4, 2017
Yea I'm looking forward for the first actual stage to this game. It has controls I like, feels similar to SA2. My question is have you guys tried Unity 2017 recently and do you guys plan for Multiplayer implementation?

Murasaki

Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia
Aug 29, 2017
Yea I'm looking forward for the first actual stage to this game. It has controls I like, feels similar to SA2. My question is have you guys tried Unity 2017 recently and do you guys plan for Multiplayer implementation?
We're currently using Unity 2017 (rip my pro interface), but we're not in a position yet to fully decide on multiplayer. There are many more things to finish, and many other to plan for before we can be certain that it would fit into our schedule.

omegalucas

Green Hill Zone
Sep 11, 2017
Hi there, guys! I'd like to start by congratulating you on this amazing project. It's the best iteration of 3D Sonic gameplay I've ever seen.

I'd like to address the monitors. I love the Sonic 1/2 aesthetic but I'm not sure if they translate well into 3D gameplay, considering that this design only allows the icon screen to face one direction, making it difficult for the player to be certain which icon it is if he's approaching from different direction (and that'd be very important if you guys plan on implementing Eggman monitors). I think that's the reason Sonic Team moved to round transparent capsules on Sonic Adventure. Maybe a redesign of your monitors would be benefitial, giving it multiple screens (perhaps making it a triangular prism like the Sonic Heroes item box and thereby keeping a shape similar to a CRT monitor).

Also, are you thinking of updating your character model? The OVA-inspired design is lovely but it'd probably benefit from a higher poly model, especially if you plan on giving it an animated mouth (I think I read something about that on Sonic Retro). Can't wait to see how Tails and Knuckles (and Eggman)'s models will look like.

One last question: are you planning on giving any new mechanics to Sonic? The curling in the air mechanic (that's some beautiful animation right there) is kind of similar (visually) to the Drop Dash, but I think it doesn't increase your momentum in a similar way - and it's probably going to be a shared mechanic between characters so I don't expect it to change, really (related to that I'd love to be able to uncurl by tapping the curl button after a regular jump; you can do that on the demo by tapping the special button but I think that's because the Super Peel Out mechanic overrides the ball jump). I loved that controlable air dash concept on tripplejaz's Sonic Freedom video but it'd probably be an hassle to control in 3D and also break the flow of the game. Speaking of tripplejaz, please please get him to animate a 2D opening for Utopia, his animatics for the Sonic Freedom opening looked amazing and Sonic Mania totally spoiled me on animated openings xD

Great Lange

The Great Lange
Apr 26, 2017
The Land of Waldos
I've already well considered the issue of monitors. I really don't want to change that design despite the visibility issue. In most cases, I'll be able to place the monitors in ways their screens will be easily visible when approached.

Sonic's model will be updated. I want to keep it relatively low poly like it is now, but the face is what needs updating the most, Sonic is currently not capable of facial animation. The mouth I'll leave as an exception, making a 3d animation capable mouth for Sonic is a huge pain and tends to look awkward. For that, it can rely on texture swaps. Aside from that, I'm planning on more animations with greater expressiveness for Sonic overall.

The midair roll is not intended to be like the drop dash. It is a way to give the player full freedom when to roll and when not to, it applies on both ground and in the air. I wanted a midair spindash as well, but this could easily be much too game breaking and complicate the controls.
Sonic will have new mechanics. Water running, a form of drifting, and more details such as added nuance to the jump dash and homing attack. I won't get into all of it yet.

No intention for hand drawn cinematics; that's better left to jaz's project and he's already got his hands full as it is. Given this is a 3d game I'd like to take a crack at 3d animated scenes which is more suited to it.

Filipe1020

Press Start Screen
Sep 12, 2017
I know this has probably been requested before, but I think in the early demo Sonic looks way too small compared to the map and the badniks, if possible could you incrase it's size a bit?

Great Lange

The Great Lange
Apr 26, 2017
The Land of Waldos
Adding characters is a much loftier notion than it might seem. Making character models, rigs and animations are the most demanding assets to create aside from the levels themselves, but besides that, the game has to be worked around them and their unique traits and abilities. This can multiply the planning and testing needed for level design if not outright stifle a lot of what can be done with it. This is particularly because Tails and Knuckles have abilities that can easily break the game in a 3d space. It is difficult enough just designing this around Sonic and the core mechanics, and it is best that focus goes into getting this down for a complete solid game. Much like how Sonic began, new characters and abilities are better introduced after the fundamentals are figured out.
Knuckles won't be around for this game, but Tails will be for the story. Given he will have a model and rig, making him playable will later be experimented with, but I'm not promising anything.

Comfortably Dumb

Green Hill Zone
Sep 14, 2017
Hey Lange, I tried asking you this in a YouTube comment once but I'm not sure whether it posted: bit of a trivial aspect of the game, but will there be any sort of speedometer? With this game's emphasis on speed as a reward, I'd love to have some indication of how fast I'm actually going at high speeds, particularly in areas like the path down to the huge ramp outside the exit of the Labyrinth Zone. Plus, it'd be pretty easy to code. Maybe make it optional.

The Utopia demo is already my favourite 3D Sonic game either way. Best of luck to you and Mura, and happy birthday apparently!

Reactions: JonaJuice

Great Lange

The Great Lange
Apr 26, 2017
The Land of Waldos
I want to avoid any extraneous HUD elements. Part of Sonic's game design is communicating elements of the world naturally. This is very good for immersion. For example, the classics don't give you indicator arrows or reticles or warning texts or anything like that. It communicates things with the in-world elements. Harmful fireballs flash, debris from the ceiling warns of falling spikes, an earthquake indicates platforms rising from the ground, etc. In the context of Utopia, an example would be a badnik using a laser sight to target Sonic indicating he's about to be shot and where it's coming from, instead of using a HUD showing arrows or warning icons.

A speedometer, granted while part of the static HUD and not the world, breaks that immersion some. Sonic's speed no longer feels as natural and the mysteries of his movement and limits are laid bare. I would much rather use animations and effects to describe his speed and outline its tiers. Sonic's running movement becomes increasingly intense, the dust becomes more violent, a sonic boom shockwave when tremendous, trails of fire from the friction of a high speed brake. What if there's a level of speed beyond even that? It keeps the player invested in the game's world and plays with the imagination. Let Sonic, the world and its elements communicate as much as possible to the player naturally, and keep the HUD as minimal as possible.

Last edited: