Menu

Welcome!

Sonic Fan Games HQ is the largest resource for Sonic the Hedgehog fan gaming on the web and home to SAGE, the annual Sonic Amatuer Games Expo! We specialize in engines, sprites, music, gameplay, levels, gimmicks, the whole eight yards! Got a project you want to show off? Need some help with your game? Or maybe you just want to connect with creators and fans alike! No matter why you're here, hit that register button below to join the fun and start creating today!

1. Hey Guest!

We just updated our SFGHQ Rules & Guidelines. Give them a read, it might just save your life!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest!

Our pals from the SHC are going to be running the Sonic Hacking Contest a little later this year, a bit after SAGE! You should totally check it out by clicking here!

Dismiss Notice

Sonic Utopia Early Demo

Average User Rating:
4.55556/5,
  1. Great Lange

Great Lange The Great Lange

Yes. I'm not fond of it much and aside from it being largely obsolete I think it has even less of a place in this formula than it would in a new 2d Sonic game. Checkpoints will suffice, and the game will not be without a new powerup.

2. Liran

Liran E Rank Member

Will there be a city-style level full of skyscrapers? I'd really love to see your take inspired by skyscraper scramper!

3. Great Lange

Not going to spoil any stages yet. Concept art and trailers down the road will have some teasers.

4. Comfortably Dumb

Comfortably Dumb E Rank Member

I was messing around in the demo earlier and realised that this ol' trick from the classics is a lot harder to pull off in 3D, mainly when using the mouse and keyboard, as you'd have to flip the camera around in midair in order to maintain as much speed as possible.

Utopia gif.gif

Any ideas on how to get around this, like some way of instantly rotating Sonic and the camera 180 degrees maybe? Or do you think this is just one of those elements that can't be translated into 3D perfectly?

5. Murasaki

Murasaki Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia

That's one of those tricky elements. One option is to take control of the camera, but Sonic's high-speed motion can already be really disorienting. Moving the camera in a way the player isn't expecting can compound this. It's an unpleasant experience to have to fight the camera.

I think for the time being the best option is to let that control remain in the player's hands, and see where it goes. The new camera improvements should make it a much more pleasant experience than before.

6. Great Lange

The auto cam will be better at orienting towards Sonic and the player's desired direction. Aside from that, there will be an instant rear centering button for the camera. You can also manually rotate the camera around along with Sonic, albeit a bit trickier, still very doable. There will be more emphasis on this game for application of proper control to maximize Sonic's maneuverability. Instead of trying to work against controls and camera to make a Sonic experience, I want to try and incorporate them into the experience. The better your control and skill, the more you can get out of Sonic's ability. The game is still plenty playable with average input, but this will leave you to less interesting gameplay and more ordinary paths, which follows suite. Greater experiences unfold with greater skill.

7. Risemack

Risemack E Rank Member

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but one of the first results for "Sonic Utopia" seems to be on a malicious website.
    [​IMG]

8. Great Lange

I don't think there is anything I can do unfortunately, but it will likely be pushed away as new things are released.
    I opened the site and there's no safety warning. It seems to just be a sketchy freeware games site that shamelessly takes games from around the internet and re-hosts them, including fangames and hacks.

upload_2017-9-19_19-32-11.png

Uh okay. The file this links to appears to just be a copy of the release on a different host, but I haven't tried it.
    Of course, I recommend that that everyone keeps to officially hosted files. SFGHQ is the primary host for releases from now on, including the first demo, which has moved from its unreliable dropbox mirror.

9. Munkycheez

Munkycheez E Rank Member

Hey Lange and Murasaki, I'm a huge fan of this project - I've been playing the demo on-and-off obsessively for almost a year now and I still can't stop coming back to it. I could gush for ages about why I think it's so perfect.

Anyway, I found something may not have considered before, which relates to the fact that many people seem to prefer playing the game using keyboard and mouse, thanks to the tightness of control that a mouse affords to the camera and Sonic's direction - despite this I would definitely say that Sonic himself controls best with an analogue stick. I wanted to mention that my personal solution to this has been to add the game to Steam (as a non-Steam game) and play it using my Steam controller.
    This is because it allows mouse-like control of the camera and analogue control of Sonic. It also features grip buttons as well as bumpers/triggers, allowing for additional button-presses without requiring to take a thumb off the analogue stick (which may be useful for future features). I know that you guys in Team Utopia may not have one, and I wouldn't be surprised since it's incredibly niche and takes a lot of adapting to use - but in my opinion it's like this game was made for it.
    Just something to think about, maybe.

Also, in all this time I can't recall anyone mentioning Special/Bonus Stages (though I might be wrong), so I was wondering if you'd be featuring those in the game. If so, how would they be implemented, and what kind of gameplay would they have?

10. Great Lange

I'm not familiar with the Steam controller and far as I know no one on the team is. It's not something I'd want to prioritize as controllers like Xbox 360 and PS4 are the standard. Ideally the game should be able to be played well on a traditional analog controller, as requiring something unconventional is not proving much about the game's accessibility.
    Steering and camera control are both being improved and inputs will be able to be custom mapped.

Special stages will be present and I'm keeping them a surprise.

11. Murasaki

Murasaki Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia

I had one that I ended up giving to my friend. I can always borrow it again and add it, but it'll be one of the last things if I ever do get around to it.

Glad to hear people are still enjoying Utopia so much though! ^_^

12. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Has been killed 33 times by SFGHQ members

As I already said, Sonic Utopia is best described as a sort of "Amusement/Theme Park" experience imo, but I think it's said best in the manual.
    You Can Do Anything.
    There are slopes, loops, screws, ramps, secret areas and pretty much perfect level size, complete with empty spaces to just run around freely without having to worry about any
    sudden badnik attacks, in fact, I very rarely got hit in this game.
    Getting lost isn't a problem, since well, wherever you go, there's always something to do.
    Overall, as you can probably guess, I'm very excited for when this Fan Game will reach completion, keep up the awesome job!

13. Sonikko

Sonikko E Rank Member

I have experience with Utopia and a Steam Controller and it plays pretty well. The trackpad camera works better than the analogue stick most of the time. No need for native support, Steam handles everything, you just need to set it up as you would with a PS4 controller.

14. Great Lange

Going to cross post some significant posts and write ups I did on the Retro thread. Nice to have it here too for integrity, provide insights and may answer some questions.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  15. Great Lange

16. Great Lange

17. Great Lange

18. Great Lange

19. Great Lange

20. RetroRespecter