don't click here

Sonic should be an Xbox exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Note: This is a topic about giving my opinion, not yours, I don't want any kind of fights for everything I'm going to say below.

Everyone will know Sonic, either because they played his classic games on some compilation or played his current games on multiple consoles.

But what they don't know. Is that Sonic was originally an exclusive, in this case to SEGA consoles. In the 90's, the only way to enjoy the blue hedgehog's games was to buy a SEGA console. And everyone knows about the rivalry between Mario and Sonic at that time. Well, he had to go either to the SEGA side or to the Nintendo side.

And that created competition, and competition is very important. If a product comes out that is better and superior to another brand's product, the rival brand will try to do the same. Because if there is no competition, brands will end up releasing products that will be worse as the years go by.

And this also applies to video games. Sonic was Mario's direct competitor during the 90s. And that's why they released games that tried to beat the red plumber.

Unfortunately. After the premature death of Dreamcast, SEGA abandoned the production of consoles and dedicated itself to develop only video games. So many of their IPs went from being exclusive to being multiplatform. That includes Sonic himself.

From that moment on. Sonic games began to lose quality, starting with Sonic Heroes, which although it was not a bad game, it was far from surpassing the Sonic Adventure duology that came out for Dreamcast. And with Sonic The Hedgehog (2006), you must already know the rest of the story.

That's why. I think Sonic should have become exclusive, even when SEGA stopped making consoles, in order to continue being Mario's competition and not lose quality. Because becoming multiplatform prejudiced too much the blue hedgehog in my opinion.

And I think that the chosen platform for Sonic to be an exclusive definitely and not to leave there is Xbox. Because Playstation I don't see it feasible because there are characters that took that place like Sackboy or Ratchet & Clank.

Even more than Xbox. The image of Master Chief is already somewhat deteriorated, because many people are getting tired of First Person Shooters because they already seem generic and look like Call of Duty clones. It is known that COD was responsible for oversaturating the market by releasing several games a year and they all look the same one after the other.

So Sonic should become an exclusive and become the new mascot of the Xbox brand and give a fresh air to that brand.

For that. Microsoft should do business with SEGA to acquire the publishing and distribution rights to Sonic, I'm not saying that Microsoft should buy SEGA, but I simply want Microsoft to be the one to publish and distribute Sonic games, so that they would be the only publishers and distributors of Sonic games and therefore they would be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem.

And to be able to attract more people to be interested in buying Sonic games on Xbox. SEGA should remove all Sonic games from Nintendo and Playstation digital stores and shut down the servers of several games on those platforms such as Team Sonic Racing. This to motivate people to end up moving to Xbox to continue enjoying the blue hedgehog games. This will not affect games from other SEGA IPs, but in case those games have cameos and/or references to the Sonic franchises. Even if Sonic himself appears as a guest character in those games, regardless of whether they are from SEGA or not. These will also be removed or will be edited to remove all kinds of references to the blue hedgehog as they did at the time with The Revenge of Shinobi with the appearance of Spider-Man.

With all this. Sonic would be again Mario's competition and therefore would resurrect the rivalry he had with the plumber in the 90's, when he became an Xbox exclusive. So its games should become better and even superior to those of Mario.

And if someone comes to say that the genre of 3D platformers or
Collectathon is dead. Remember Psychonauts 2.

Anyone want to say something about it?

Lightnik

Certified Sonic Maniac
Apr 27, 2021
an ancient past
If I remember correctly, I heard a piece of news some time ago which talked about Microsoft wanting to acquire Sega, so it is really very possible. Personally, I do not like the idea since I am a PC gamer without much money to spend on consoles, but who know maybe a little funding from microsoft helps the franchise grow

candice

old dawg
Nov 5, 2021
i love how xbox360 take some games form ps3 (i didn't tried xbox360 and ps3). But games like sonic 2006, unleashed do have ps3 and xbox port

Tsukiru

Mirror World
Feb 10, 2022
There's no real connecting thought of point a to point b here. Like SEGA leaving the console market and Sonic's game quality diminishing is nothing more correlation but doesn't me causation. Because while Sonic suffered, there were other franchises that kept their stardom on other platforms. Phantasy Star Online was on the GameCube, Xbox, and PC. The last of which has a massive PC base, not to mention Phantasy Star Online 2.

There's also the comment that "the image of Master Chief deteriorated" and "people are tired of First Person Shooters" only goes for military shooters. Which Halo isn't, and people have been hyped for Infinite for a long while. I think this only goes for people who aren't invested in either, which means they wouldn't care to start.

There is really no reason to ask for Xbox to take Sonic. That's not really their market, making major brands like that. And there's no reason to assume they'd even be good with it. Sonic isn't a name that would push consoles. The issue with Sonic is Sonic Team.

SEGA wouldn't remove Sonic from all other market places, look at Minecraft's continued support on platforms now. Nor would it reinstate Sonic as Mario's rival. That rivalry is long dead. They've been to the Olympics together. Numerous times! It's just unnecessary and would be painfully forced. Especially considering Nintendo's cooperation with Microsoft, it'd mean nothing.

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
No thanks. I'd rather Sonic stay available across as many platforms as possible. Thanks. What is with you and your bad ill informed takes?

If I remember correctly, I heard a piece of news some time ago which talked about Microsoft wanting to acquire Sega, so it is really very possible. Personally, I do not like the idea since I am a PC gamer without much money to spend on consoles, but who know maybe a little funding from microsoft helps the franchise grow
All those rumors about Microsoft buying Sega (or any other big major japanese company) are false. It can't happen between the two anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonicFan913

SonicFan913

Green Hill Zone
Feb 28, 2022
America
Alright, I know it said you don't care what anyone says BUT WHAT THE FUCK DUDE- WHY THE HELL WOULD SEGA DO THAT? THEY WOULD LOSE 90% OF THEIR MONEY SINCE ALMOST EVERYONE PLAYS GAMES ON SWITCH AT THIS POINT. AND EITHER WAY THE PS4 AND THE SWITCH ARE THE 4TH AND 5TH BEST-SELLING CONSOLES WITH THE XBOX ONE AT 14TH AND THE XBOX 360 IS HIGHER AT 9TH! THE ONLY FUCKING WAY THIS WOULD HAPPEN IS IF EVERYONE AT EVERY SEGA ACROSS THE GLOBE WAS DRUNK!

Tha_Beanieman

DanTheLoler17
Jan 23, 2021
The Mario and Nintendo rivalry ended decades ago, also removing Sonic references for what reason? And remove any mention of him in any game? So what, do they take him out of Smash Bros. or something? I really don't get that last part.

In my opinion Sonic should still be multi-platform or maybe be a PC exclusive instead since Microsoft doesn't really know how XBox exclusives work (games tend to appear in any other platform later anyway).

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
In my opinion Sonic should still be multi-platform or maybe be a PC exclusive instead since Microsoft doesn't really know how XBox exclusives work (games tend to appear in any other platform later anyway).
You know I lost faith in the franchise after Sonic Forces. And I'm not going to expect anything from Sonic Frontiers, because I don't want the same thing to happen to me as with Forces, where I jumped on the hype train and ended up having the biggest disappointment of my life.

That's why I want Microsoft to buy Sonic's IP so that they will be in charge of financing Sonic games and have a Sonic game that is truly AAA. Seeing how great Psychonauts 2 was, this franchise deserves a change of hands now.

Tsukiru

Mirror World
Feb 10, 2022
You know I lost faith in the franchise after Sonic Forces. And I'm not going to expect anything from Sonic Frontiers, because I don't want the same thing to happen to me as with Forces, where I jumped on the hype train and ended up having the biggest disappointment of my life.

That's why I want Microsoft to buy Sonic's IP so that they will be in charge of financing Sonic games and have a Sonic game that is truly AAA. Seeing how great Psychonauts 2 was, this franchise deserves a change of hands now.
Microsoft/Xbox only published Psychonauts 2. It was done by the Double Fine team, same as Psychonauts 1, and is assumed to be mostly complete by the time Microsoft acquired them in 2019. It was a costly project, with the risk of being cut down due to funds. The Microsoft buy only managed to solve that. So no, being bought by Microsoft isn't automatically a sign a quality.

Even if it was, there's no sign it would happen with Sonic either.

Reactions: SoniKast

SeanMorris

Green Hill Zone
Mar 8, 2021
Microsoft is an awful company and I wouldn't trust their software to operate a litterbox.

Why would you ever trust their IP department with Sonic?

Reactions: Tsukiru

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Smells like an Xbox hater to me. Maybe this video where he narrates the benefits that Crash Bandicoot will have in the future after the purchase of Activision by Microsoft, will make you change your mind. I hope you know how to understand Spanish.

Just as the Crash franchise will benefit after Activision's acquisition, imagine if this also happens with Sonic.

SunkythePootis

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
Ah yes, limit Sonic the Hedgehog to one platform in this modern age and potentially limit the potential buyers for this hugely popular franchise.
Remember the last time Sonic became exclusive to one or two platforms through the 3 game Nintendo contract?
Well if you don't, Sonic Lost World sold only 710,000 copies by March 2014, and both Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric + Shattered Crystal became some of the worst performing games in the franchise with only a collective total of 620,000 copies sold by March 2015. Granted both LW and RoL were on the Wii U which wasn't doing hot, but the 3DS was doing hot so that doesn't really give Shattered Crystal an excuse to sell so poorly after that huge marketing push from Sega, and then Nintendo pushing the release date forward to prevent being clouded by the next gen re-release of GTA 5.
The only reason the Activistion acquisition can potentially be good is that it will mean Phil Spenser can kick that Bobby Kotick out of his dumb chair, and allow the likes of Toys for Bob, Vicarious Visions and Beenox to make games that aren't Call of Duty if they so wish, along with making a much more safe and healthy work environment after the crap that has gone down at Activistion and Blizzard. Heck that's not even implying whether Crash will be only on Xbox from now on or not, as while Microsoft has owned the likes of Mojang and Bethesda, that hasn't stopped them from still releasing the games on other consoles and especially the PC. In fact Microsoft despite their large Monopoly board, has gone on to offer people the option to buy their games across both PC and Xbox through their marketplaces, including the games that are on Xbox Game Pass (which is also on PC btw).

Sonic as a franchise has been as popular as it still is today by these games becoming more available on various platforms including the legacy titles that were originally only on Sega's home consoles, and that can only be proven more true by Sonic Heroes selling 1.42 million copies across the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox by March 2004 and then later roughly 3.41 million by March 2007. It's not even a matter of game quality seeing as both Sonic 06 and Unleashed sold well enough to get a platinum re-release across both the PS3 and Xbox 360, and last time I checked those games aren't looked at so fondly outside of Sonic tubers and Twitter dot com.
Console exclusivity doesn't guarantee quality or even big sales anymore. It only brings inconvenience to the people wanting to play a game, and I don't think many people will want to buy a console just to play only one game and then never touch it again. If we're gonna really use console exclusivity as a guarantee of quality, then by that logic we're saying Halo 4 and 5 weren't poorly written fan fictions that only brought down the reputation of the Halo franchise, to which the IP has only barely recovered with Halo Infinite before losing most of its player base by virtue of it being drowned in micro-transaction pay walls, and a weak campaign mode that doesn't even have the option of co-op play unlike the prior games. Also Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts exists

Lastly, if you're gonna try and convince me otherwise with your quote on quote "evidence", then maybe don't link a video that's not available in English in any form on a website primarily filled with English speakers. That's like recommending an anime that doesn't even have translated subtitles on even them seven seas if you know what I mean.

Tsukiru

Mirror World
Feb 10, 2022
Smells like an Xbox hater to me.
Ah yes, the good 'ol "you're a hater" non-argument. Or maybe you just still don't know how it works. As Pootis said, linking a video in Spanish as your point on a mostly English-speaking website isn't bright. It likely wouldn't matter because it's just a hypothetical compared to your actual example, which is still wrong. Funny how you just chose not to address that.

Reactions: itskidchameleon

SeanMorris

Green Hill Zone
Mar 8, 2021
Microsoft will nuke the fan community if they ever get ahold of sonic.
You're delusional if you think they would allow SFGHQ or SAGE to exist.

Shagot 2.0

Press Start Screen
Mar 12, 2022

your on crack Microsoft is an ass company their comparable to E.A making sonic games just excusive to Microsoft consoles only makes zero sense

Status
Not open for further replies.