don't click here

Fan Game Sonic ReMaster System

SJWebster

Green Hill Zone
Jan 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
www.sjwebster.net

Sonic ReMaster System - a remake of 8 bit Sonic the Hedgehog

This is essentially exactly what it says on the tin, a remake of the 8 bit Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System / Game Gear but with Mega Drive era graphics and gameplay!

Why remake 8 bit Sonic?

Growing up, I had a Master System before I had a Mega Drive so the 8 bit Sonics were the first ones I actually played. I felt they had some awesome music tracks and unique Zones that, sadly, a lot of fans don't seem to have experienced.

I'll be the first to admit that the 8 bit titles haven't aged well, especially the Game Gear versions with their screen crunch issues. Watching a friend play them for the first time in a stream was borderline painful and I wanted to find a way to help him see what I see in those versions of Sonic's adventures.

Techy bits
  • Being built in Clickteam Fusion 2.5
  • Using the Sonic Worlds framework
  • Following YouTube tutorials by Lake Feppard
  • Runs at 512x288, a "true" 16:9 resolution (divisible by 8). I personally felt a 384x216, while closer to the Mega Drive's 320x224, would be too small.
Is there a demo?

Yes! You can play Green Hill Zone Act 1 right now through this link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/qwcfr8

Please refer to the video at the top of this thread for known bugs and issues present in the demo.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qwcfr8
So, when will this be finished?

I honestly can't say. The engine and framework are new to me, I've got a lot of real life committments including two kids, getting married this year, my career, and I also self publish indie comics to sell at UK comic conventions so it admittedly could take some time. That said, I'll be sure to keep this thread updated!

Great Lange

The Great Lange
Apr 26, 2017
The Land of Waldos
This is a wonderfully dedicated and thorough foray into the fangame scene and a great project thread opening post. I hope others take after this example, and please do stay with us and continue.

Reactions: TorchicZK16