don't click here

Fan Game Sonic Adventure: Order's Island

irako

Amindstitrator
Mar 6, 2021
Capture.PNG
I spent two weeks making this sonic adventure-ish game. I like the gameplay so far, but I'm concerned about the frame rate. Basically, I want you all to download this game and see If it runs smoothly. I'm personally getting a crispy 60 fps, and I've seen no dips whatsoever. For this reason, I'm also not sure if the frame rate display works. Anyway, here's a list of features:
-Sonic
-Plays similar to Sonic Adventure
-A level
-Some level objects
-You can't die or finish yet
-Shadow
Controls:
-wasd for walking
-control stick for walking
-j, left click, or bottom face button to jump or homing attack
-k, right click, or left face button to attack (no attack yet)
-shift or right trigger to crouch or roll
-crouch and attack to spindash or bounce
-press the p key to swap characters

Note that 6 characters already have models done. Shadow is only in the demo because he was able to reuse most of Sonic's animations. There are also other features that I programmed that are just not part of the level, like swinging on bars and picking stuff up. Also, for anyone who's wondering, this was made in unreal engine. I did not use a-pre built sonic engine. I made all of the art assets that aren't preloaded into the engine, but I didn't make the sounds. Those are from Sonic 06. The music is from Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn. Also, Sonic is mute. If anyone wants to help voice act, please do.
Also, if the game download isn't here, It's because I didn't upload it properly. In that case, I'll try again.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Valeev and Stilic

irako

Amindstitrator
Mar 6, 2021
View attachment 10061
I spent two weeks making this sonic adventure-ish game. I like the gameplay so far, but I'm concerned about the frame rate. Basically, I want you all to download this game and see If it runs smoothly. I'm personally getting a crispy 60 fps, and I've seen no dips whatsoever. For this reason, I'm also not sure if the frame rate display works. Anyway, here's a list of features:
-Sonic
-Plays similar to Sonic Adventure
-A level
-Some level objects
-You can't die or finish yet
-Shadow
Controls:
-wasd for walking
-control stick for walking
-j, left click, or bottom face button to jump or homing attack
-k, right click, or left face button to attack (no attack yet)
-shift or right trigger to crouch or roll
-crouch and attack to spindash or bounce
-press the p key to swap characters

Note that 6 characters already have models done. Shadow is only in the demo because he was able to reuse most of Sonic's animations. There are also other features that I programmed that are just not part of the level, like swinging on bars and picking stuff up. Also, for anyone who's wondering, this was made in unreal engine. I did not use a-pre built sonic engine. I made all of the art assets that aren't preloaded into the engine, but I didn't make the sounds. Those are from Sonic 06. The music is from Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn. Also, Sonic is mute. If anyone wants to help voice act, please do.
Also, if the game download isn't here, It's because I didn't upload it properly. In that case, I'll try again.
Hey everyone. I added tails. I also made various other changes, but I haven't been keeping track. Th original file has been replaced. Knuckles is coming tomorrow. I'm still waiting on that feedback from the 4 or 5 people who click the download link.

Dean

is your memory card set correctly?
Oct 20, 2020
doesn't run that well for me. the framerate rarely went above 30, and when it did, it was when there wasn't much stuff being rendered (but having said that, my joke of a computer can barely run Minecraft even on low-end settings, so if that doesn't show how bad my pc is then idk what will)

irako

Amindstitrator
Mar 6, 2021
doesn't run that well for me. the framerate rarely went above 30, and when it did, it was when there wasn't much stuff being rendered (but having said that, my joke of a computer can barely run Minecraft even on low-end settings, so if that doesn't show how bad my pc is then idk what will)
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I was actually working on repurposing the engine for a new game, because I didn't get any other replies here. That means no updates for a while, but I suppose that if the framerate jumps up a bit when less things are rendered, I should probably use fewer resources and the grass and flowers. The feedback really does help though. Thanks.

Titi

Press Start Screen
Mar 7, 2019
Hi! I downloaded your project on 15th march and tried it on my computer (i5-7300HQ / 16 Go RAM / GTX 1050 2 Go) and it runs very well (60 fps). Good job, and good luck for the development! Sorry for the late response

Dean

is your memory card set correctly?
Oct 20, 2020
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I was actually working on repurposing the engine for a new game, because I didn't get any other replies here. That means no updates for a while, but I suppose that if the framerate jumps up a bit when less things are rendered, I should probably use fewer resources and the grass and flowers. The feedback really does help though. Thanks.
glad I could help out! wishing you good luck with the rest of development :)

irako

Amindstitrator
Mar 6, 2021
Update: Music needed, but the project continues!
To clarify, after the game failed to receive much feedback, I went back to the drawing board. As of a month ago, I rebuilt the game with 2D control and a new non-sonic world. Sonic is no longer in the game, so I don't want to show updated screenshots unless absolutely necessary. The gameplay is still similar to sonic in terms of speed and control.
I need help with music. This is the main reason I'm posting. If anyone can make music that sounds like sonic music, I would appreciate that.
I also added some cool graphical features, like a full day night cycle and water that actually ripples and splashes. Each character also has a different way of attacking. One plays like a fighting game character, another can shoot lasers, and another one has a play style that I have never seen in a platformer before, so I don't have the words to explain it.
If you can help with the music, please tell me. Thanks for reading this much.

bennacar

Green Hill Zone
Sep 10, 2017
Update: Music needed, but the project continues!
To clarify, after the game failed to receive much feedback, I went back to the drawing board. As of a month ago, I rebuilt the game with 2D control and a new non-sonic world. Sonic is no longer in the game, so I don't want to show updated screenshots unless absolutely necessary. The gameplay is still similar to sonic in terms of speed and control.
I need help with music. This is the main reason I'm posting. If anyone can make music that sounds like sonic music, I would appreciate that.
I also added some cool graphical features, like a full day night cycle and water that actually ripples and splashes. Each character also has a different way of attacking. One plays like a fighting game character, another can shoot lasers, and another one has a play style that I have never seen in a platformer before, so I don't have the words to explain it.
If you can help with the music, please tell me. Thanks for reading this much.
I think a better way get some feedback is joining the SFGHQ discord and posting a link to your game there. It's way more active than the message board.

That being said, I'll give my thoughts on the build you've sent over, since I believe you deserve some actual feedback with the effort you put in, and it sorta suck for it all to just go to waste to be redone over again.

What you have here has potential. The fact Sonic has an original model is pretty neat, but his animations feel pretty stiff currently. For example, he should lean a lot more for his running animation, really exaggerate it if you get what I mean.

As for the gameplay, it feels like it could definitely be good with some work, but it is pretty rough so far. For me at least, the game doesn't run the best. Sonic feels like his top speed could be faster, and his turning feels extremely sluggish, especially in the air where it's practically impossible to turn without an air-dash.

As for the physics, momentum as of now is sorta non-existent. Sonic doesn't seem to gain speed properly down slopes whether he's running or rolling, but his jump is effected by slope physics. The rings seem to scatter too close to one another when you lose them and the rings themselves may be a bit too small. The level here is pretty basic, but I'm pretty sure that's mainly for testing purposes. Homing attack works well enough.

All in all, it could use work, but if you are willing to continue it, you could have something here.

irako

Amindstitrator
Mar 6, 2021
I think a better way get some feedback is joining the SFGHQ discord and posting a link to your game there. It's way more active than the message board.

That being said, I'll give my thoughts on the build you've sent over, since I believe you deserve some actual feedback with the effort you put in, and it sorta suck for it all to just go to waste to be redone over again.

What you have here has potential. The fact Sonic has an original model is pretty neat, but his animations feel pretty stiff currently. For example, he should lean a lot more for his running animation, really exaggerate it if you get what I mean.

As for the gameplay, it feels like it could definitely be good with some work, but it is pretty rough so far. For me at least, the game doesn't run the best. Sonic feels like his top speed could be faster, and his turning feels extremely sluggish, especially in the air where it's practically impossible to turn without an air-dash.

As for the physics, momentum as of now is sorta non-existent. Sonic doesn't seem to gain speed properly down slopes whether he's running or rolling, but his jump is effected by slope physics. The rings seem to scatter too close to one another when you lose them and the rings themselves may be a bit too small. The level here is pretty basic, but I'm pretty sure that's mainly for testing purposes. Homing attack works well enough.

All in all, it could use work, but if you are willing to continue it, you could have something here.
Thanks. I actually redid a lot of the physics and swapped out the sonic models for new characters. I definitely understand the problems with the animation, mainly that everything was calculated, so the movements were practically robotic. I fixed this more recently by animating more loosely, which is much more time efficient and natural. The game is 2d now, but since I made everything with the same methods, the physics stuff still applies. It is nice to know that homing attack works though, because I'm considering reusing that in a character's move set. To be honest, my current project is basically a new game. I'm keeping this thread open because the criticism still helps me in general.