don't click here

Game Project Waffle (Name not final)

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
Hi guys. I'm going to be reposting two old threads from SSRG here, since A) I wanted to see your opinions and B) because some people probably haven't seen it yet.

This is Project Waffle. There actually is a name for this, I just wanted to keep it sekret for now. Anyways, this is going to be a satirical Sonic clone, which makes fun of other Sonic clones as well as games in general.

The goal of the game is going to be that you're in an open world level, and you have to go looking around for items and boss rooms. The levels are going to be huge, have tons of unique areas, and will have a lot of gimmick throughout the level.

The demo used for the video is merely just a presentation demo made to show off how the gameplay will be like. The level design is merely placeholder stuff, various art might be changed or removed, and sounds might be replaced and music is just placeholder. The build was made in Construct 2, but the project will later be moved to Teal, once it comes out.

That's all I can say for now. This game won't be finished until a long time, so I'm not gonna spoiltoo much. I will post something new next May 9.

Credits:
Main Artist/Project Leader: Unlimited Trees
Misc. Artist+Trailer Guy: LooneyDude
Some sound effects: VAdaPEGA

Placeholder music taken from various games.

Special Thanks to Xeal for doing nothing otherthan seeing an early version of the art and Mister for doing nothing but drawing an image of the main character but thicc.
Please note that the stuff here is months old, and a lot will be different in the final game. I've also tried getting a private demo to be shown in streams during SAGE.

BinBowie

☆빈보위☆
Aug 29, 2017
USA
bakanet.akawah.net
I'd recommend either changing the color of the "SCORE" HUD or putting a colored outline around it as not to clash with things in game as you can see with the last screenshot.

Mors

maryo flashback
Aug 29, 2017
Kebabland
www.mors-games.com
Looks pretty good to me overall, however it seems like the background, foreground and the HUD all blend together. Everything also looks a bit oversaturated, so desaturating the background (and maybe reducing the contrast) a bit would fix both problems imo.

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
This game is in a very early state in development, so the mask wearing girl person waifu thing won't be explained yet until later. This game is going to be huge and will take a very long time to develop so I want to keep some things a secret for now (the final project's Title is also a secret that I'm hiding until later)

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
Hey people.

So I was originally thinking of making a whole thread for this, but it seems pointless considering it's just a dumb update to 2 games nobody care about, so I guess I'll just post about it in this thread. If you want, you can just ignore it and go straight down to see how Project Waffle is going.

Ok, so after a lot of thinking, I've decided to (surprise surprise) cancel Unlimited Trees' Sonic 1. It has to do with many things, so let's start with the first few reasons: the game had way too much ambition. I had originally planned for it to be a one act demo, but I had so much fun making it, that I wanted to make this into an entire game. I wanted to put as much as I could in the game and spent more time adding filler into the game than polishing the bugs and problems. However, with all this ambition, I realized that the end product would've been a buggy, unplayable mess with tons of design flaws that would require completely redoing the game and removing the things that made it unique. So, I've decided that I rather work on a game that would be good but still be unique than work on a game that would be somewhat ok but bland.
Another reason I've decided to cancel this game is because I've lost all motivation to work on this game. You can call me a sensitive person who can't take criticism all you want, but I just can't work on this game anymore as it has way too many problems and I don't want to have to completely remake a game. It just has way too many problems, from the physics, to the design, to levels that I completely rushed (Hot Forest was rushed as hell and is probably my least favorite, which is sad because it's the only one anyone has ever really enjoyed out of the rest of them mostly due to the gimmicks and the mini games) that I really don't want to have to deal with. I started having fun with this project, but as time went on I eventually got really tired of it and I want to work on something else.
Now, one of the last reasons has to do with the fact that it's made in Construct. Construct 2 is a fucking awful engine, but it's literally the only thing I have. I don't have the money to waste on a second awful engine that is limited. I wanted to make this game as a quick side as I wait for Teal to come out so I can start working on Project Waffle, but I hadn't realized that Construct 2 just isn't made to be able to make an actual game out of it, unless you count shitty primitive mobile games. I'm honestly surprised this game hasn't combusted or crashed and burned on me. The load times for exporting the project already took for-fucking-ever, so I wonder how long it would take to export a 6 zone (+ the 3 minor zones and couple special zones) game in Construct. My computer would probably light on fire, I dunno.

So yeah, that's why UTS1 is cancelled. Now that I got that out of the way, let's talk about the (nonexistent) future for UTS1, and the (probably existing) future for Project Waffle.

So, I'm going to be working full time on Project Waffle. I'll try making a few side games to keep me from going insane from making the same thing for too long, and I plan on actually making Project Waffle good. Now, although UTS1 is cancelled, it doesn't mean it's assets won't go to complete waste. I might reuse assets from the game for later projects, and who knows maybe I'll even bring back one of the zones in a completely new form one day. Now, time to actually put some meat into this post. I've already been working on things for Project Waffle since SAGE started, and I've already posted my progress before. So, have some new material that isn't even done yet lmao:

Here, as you can see I am experimenting with a new HUD. It's still very incomplete, and the health bar hasn't even been worked on yet, but it's a start I guess. This is a mockup, btw. Still no engine besides a demonstration build that only serves to show off how the gameplay and art would look like in the final product.
upload_2017-10-7_18-48-12.png
Now, as for this, this is a WIP title screen thing. Still need to do some things but I decided to show it off.

Anyways, that's all I have to say (for now). UTS1 is dead and Project Waffle still is chugging along. Don't expect a whole lot of content from me soon, as I want most of Project Waffle to be a surprise (plus this game is going to be huge and will take forever to make so I don't want to show off everything before the game is even out yet)

Attachments

Krebbit

You're not gureito daze.
Aug 29, 2017
Bruh
what the FUCK
UTS1 IS CANCELLED?

Welp better not dwell on it. And holy shit, has the art gotten beautiful.
I have no words. Don't cancel this.

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
This game (the one that doesn't involve Sonic) is never getting cancelled. I've been working on this since 2013 (or 2014, depends if you count concept art as working on it) and I've been dedicated to this project. And although UTS1 (the one that did involve Sonic) is dead, that doesn't mean I'm completely done with fan gaming, so you may see a better fangame some day (that day isn't today, but I'll see if I can make something)