Live Demo at: https://coderman64.github.io/motobug-engine/
- 360° Genesis-style Sonic physics.
- Sound effects and music via HTML5 audio
- Controller support (through the JS Gamepad API)
- touch controls support
- full debug interface (press i, or double-tap with four fingers on mobile)
- Press L to change the level
- hold v and use arrow keys to view around the level
- change character by pressing p (works outside of debug mode)
- slow down to about 1/4 speed with c
- A full python-based level designer (see Motobug Studio on GitHub) (BETA)
a number of different engines exist that do quite similar things to Motorbug. The most notable of these (off the top of my head) is the Sonic Worlds engine(s). These are quite fully-featured and well-tested engine(s) and are much better than Motorbug in most cases. However, to fully utilize this engine, you need to install Multimedia Fusion 2 (MMF2), something I personally don't want to pay for.
This gives it several advantages:
- You don't have to download any games that potentially contain malware.
- It is incredibly portable and can be played on platforms that would typically be difficult for a sonic fangame (like Xbox One and Mobile phones).
- It works on OSes like Linux and macOS seamlessly, without the need for a specific port.
How can I Get Started?
Currently, the best way to get started designing levels for Motobug is to use Motobug Studio, which is currently in Beta. While the engine has come a long way since its initial creation, do note that it is not yet capable of creating a fully-featured fangame.
Where can I learn more?
More info and source code are available here: https://github.com/coderman64/motobug-engine/
This is a project that I have developed thus far in my free time, and may not receive any support in the future.
Also, many assets (some sound effects, tiles, sprites, etc.) were made by me, and you can use them in your own fan games under the CC-BY-SA license.
There were also many assets used from various other fan projects, as well as official games by SEGA. I do not claim to own these assets, and you should seek the original creators for more info. (I believe I credit the creators on the GitHub readme).
1.1 MB Views: 22