don't click here

Is it difficult to make a fangame fighting game?

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Hello, I need some questions answered. It's fun to make fangames of your favorite series, be it platformers, RPGs and adventure games, but what about fighting games?

You'll see. It seems that no one dares to make a fanmade fighting game of their x favorite series. Either because it is too complicated to program each character and the amount of moves and special attacks to give to that character.

Let's suppose I want to create a fangame that consists in remaking Fighters Megamix, since it only came out for Saturn and very few people know about it. Unless they have played it through emulation. And that this fanmade remake consists of expanding the original game and making it more enjoyable, adding characters that were not in the original game, such as the characters from the Dead or Alive and Last Bronx games, the rest of the Sonic The Fighters roster since only Bean and Bark were there and the rest of the Virtua Fighter Kids roster, since only the Akira and Sarah versions of that game were there.

Then change the gameplay to make it more balanced and with a tighter difficulty, since the original was somewhat difficult, because it was designed for hardcore people who were already experts in fighting games.

Then make the characters play the same way as in their native game. For example, make the characters from Sonic The Fighters play the same as in their namesake game. This is because in the original game, all characters played similarly to Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers depending on the options.

Finally. Change the graphics to make it look more like a Model 2 arcade board game, since the original was originally released for Saturn and its graphics didn't age very well.

Do you think it's too much work to be a fanmade project?

Don't give me MUGEN. Because that means going the easy way and if you want to make a good fighting game, better make one from scratch.

Everything I said is an assumption, I don't really intend to make such a project.

What do you think?

Nikostormkilla

Green Hill Zone
Jul 23, 2020
New York
Overall I'd say it depends on your skill in programming and/or what engine you're using. It also may be dependent on how optimized the game code is (which ties into the skill in programming part) to handle 3D graphics because you talked about a hypothetical Fighters Megamix fangame. With this hypothetical fangame you'd have to use a framework or engine (which ties into the engine part) that actually supports 3D without using hacks/bandage fixes for things that are usually required for 3D.

Sorry if this answer is terrible. I don't really use 3D or learned much about it so this was mainly just a guess.

EX Beat

CAUTION: Raw LV.3's on wakeup
Oct 23, 2019
Funnily enough, I’m developing two fighting games myself, one of them Sonic related. From my experience this far, if you’re going to make a fighting game - original or fan game - you need to have a basic gameplay formula, and then design characters around that formula.

With fan games, designing moves is a bit easier, since you have multiple reference points, but sometimes you’ll have to change up iconic moves that weren’t built to be used in a fighting game. Sometimes you might have to make a completely new move set that’s both cohesive and true to the character. Tails for example, has a lot of cool gadgets that he can use in a fight, but the issue I ran into when designing him for my game, is that a lot of his gadgets either serve limited functions, or would feel out of place. Instead I decided to create new moves in order to make a move set that makes sense in the context of my game’s system and mechanics.

In terms of making a fighting game without using Mugen, you could start from scratch, or alternatively there’s this Unity based plugin called Universal Fighting Engine 2 that I’ve been using for both my projects. UFE 2 isn’t free though, with the cheapest version being $59, & the version that gives you full access to the source code for the plugin will run you about $500. But I’d say if a fighting game is what you want to make, it’s worth the purchase.