don't click here

Can Modern Sonic Be Saved?

InstantSonic

Green Hill Zone
Apr 27, 2017
The design of Modern Sonic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There are way, way too many people who love the Modern games, as much as anyone who loves classic. While I agree that Modern Sonic's game play is quite lacking and frankly uninventive, I personally still find it fun to play a couple Modern games from time to time.

Shahars71

Green Hill Zone
Aug 29, 2017
I think that if Forces fails they might go back to experimenting again, which doesn't turn out all that well as we all know.
For modern Sonic to succeed, I don't think that Forces should fail, if it does we may not see boost gameplay again for a few years. It has to succeed to show that there's room for both the very well loved classic gameplay (which will definitely come back again considering Mania's overwhelming success) as well as the modern boost style. And later on with the next boost game we may see an improvement in the level design (keep in mind though we haven't seen much boost gameplay from forces even, so for all we know the modern levels' design might be the best in the series).

Redz

Press Start Screen
Sep 9, 2017
Gee, this is totally gonna be a calm and respectable thread/s

So, now with Mania and it's inevitable success, one has to wonder how Modern Sonic will fare in the near future, especially since Forces doesn't have even a tenth of the hype or excitement as Mania had. My question is: is it worth keeping the Modern formula around at all, with it's odd redesigns and large ensemble of characters, as opposed to just making trilogy-based games like Mania with the original designs and a drastically smaller cast?
"Odd redesigns"? Biased much? The modern designs (as in SA1 onwards) are perfectly fine and acceptable, even if you're one of the purists that go "Bawww green eyes" at the sight of Modern Sonic. Some of them are even more famous and recognizable than the classic designs, such as Modern Amy.

Clouder

The one and only
Aug 29, 2017
I'm sorry, but if you think this

Going to this

Isn't odd at all, you're wrong. Sure, some designs such as Amy's are inconsequential (mainly because she only had one main game appearance before becoming a main character in Adventure), but the modern design (At least post SA2/Heroes) feels cheap and soulless. It's like they decided to redesign Sonic after his more successful copycats, such as Crash Bandicoot and Sly Cooper. Sonic's Genesis/Trilogy design was already iconic, they didn't need to alter it as drastically as they did. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: StrawHatLuffy

StrawHatLuffy

Green Hill Zone
Sep 20, 2017
I think that if Modern Sonic is going to improve anywhere down the line, they either need to change up the Boost gameplay completely or just get rid of it. Because as it is right now, it just seems to be holding Sonic back.

YB-san

麻宮アテナ行きます〜!
Sep 18, 2017
you know who loved modern sonic in the early to mid-2000s? 10-year-old me. you know who will continue the legacy of loving modern sonic? other 10-year-olds!

all jokes aside, i've never really had any big gripes about MOST sonic games (minus the feeble attempts at changing the formula altogether like 2006 and lost world). they sell like hotcakes to all the kids who love video games so...

...yeah. modern sonic (or i just call it sonic) should be fine.

A-S-H

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
So, my take on it all is... Yes, of course they can save Modern Sonic. The whole reason to why Modern Sonic is seen as a "failure" is that he's never gotten the chance at center stage. Each game always has something to contrast the boost gameplay (which I actually don't mind) and it's worked to varying degrees. Let's go through the Modern Sonic line-up to prove this...

Sonic Unleashed - Werehog stages
Sonic Colours - Wisps and heavy 2D usage
Sonic Generations - Classic Sonic
Sonic Lost World - Super Mario Galaxy rip-off, no boost gameplay to be seen, wisps
Sonic Forces - Classic Sonic, Custom Character, wisps, heavy 2D usage in Modern levels (from what we've seen, anyway)
Modern Sonic's boost gameplay has never had time to itself, whether it be transformations, wisps or other characters all together. I reckon if they gave the boost gameplay a whole game to itself, it'll be sure to sell. Leave the excessive 2D sections to Sonic Mania and its eventual sequel. Give other characters their own games. Leave villains in the games they were made for. Focus on doing one thing right, instead of trying to appease everyone poorly. And for fuck sake, stop nostalgia pandering! Whoever the fuck thought it'd be a great idea to give every Sonic game Green Hill Zone needs to know that it isn't nostalgia if it's already been brought into the new era.

Another way to get Sonic back on the right track is to go down the same path Mario did, and separate the different gameplay styles into different series. Mario has a series for 3D games, a series for 2D games, a series for Mario Party, a series for Mario Kart, and a series for the RPGs. If SEGA were to do this with Sonic, not only would they be able to focus on making better games, they'd be able to focus on making the gameplay mechanics right, and they'd appease more of the fans. But, sadly, what we are getting is a game filled with every single play style imaginable, and doing each one somewhat shittily.

Reactions: YB-san

StrawHatLuffy

Green Hill Zone
Sep 20, 2017
Another way to get Sonic back on the right track is to go down the same path Mario did, and separate the different gameplay styles into different series. Mario has a series for 3D games, a series for 2D games, a series for Mario Party, a series for Mario Kart, and a series for the RPGs. If SEGA were to do this with Sonic, not only would they be able to focus on making better games, they'd be able to focus on making the gameplay mechanics right, and they'd appease more of the fans. But, sadly, what we are getting is a game filled with every single play style imaginable, and doing each one somewhat shittily.
I've been saying this for a long time.

Reactions: A-S-H

LilHotdog

Green Hill Zone
Sep 29, 2017
After seeing long time of iffy Modern Sonic games with sup-par gameplay, I feel like Sonic Team should really just take a break from producing Sonic games and let Sega hand Sonic over to another studio who is willing to produce a Sonic game. Sonic Team has already shown it's aging talent in producing Sonic games recently, (heck, SM team has actually managed to make an far better game than what SF looked like, and showed great deal of interest and enthusiasm in it) but somehow they manage to make other games pretty well enough with better standards that isn't Sonic (See recent ST games, that isn't Sonic). I think it sounds like that Sonic Team is getting bored (If already) with Sonic games and just decided to put less effort in producing the games itself, and actually really want to make games for other IPs that are interesting and engaging for them to make.

I really doubt if they can really make an good modern sonic game with boost mechanics or any other style, with the current status of the whole team. It's already shown that the whole team is pretty inept at producing Sonic games, since after their talent streak passed away. They really, really need to stop with experimenting with random crap and pointless gimmicks, seeing if sonic can "improve" with new stuff, when they have a decent selection of what's wrong and good found in their games to fix the stuff. Imo, they should be looking to the fans of the series since that they seem to know more a lot more about Sonic and how it works in general, rather than themselves.

Last edited: