don't click here

Are there any Sonic Games people find objectively bad, which you like?

botebot

Green Hill Zone
Jan 5, 2020
And if so, what makes you enjoy these games?

Mine is Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric. I like me some platformer beat-em-Up co-op games.
And I especially like the Boom Universe and its inhabbits! I have more interest in the story, characters, and adventure in general then the actual gameplay (aslong it isnt frustrating Im fine with it), so that also means alot to me.

MeyerGames

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 23, 2017
www.patreon.com
I found a lot of things to defend Sonic 2006 for. Yes, the game is a glitch-ridden mess, but for one thing, it was an attempt to return to the sound foundation of Sonic Adventure 1, one of my first Sonic games.

In addition, I enjoyed the fantasy route Sonic 2006 tried to take, despite the execution. I think that the concept was sound, but the individual beats did need some drastic rewrites.

Reactions: botebot

SlumberGlss

Nintender? Who's that?
Aug 29, 2017
Sonic and the Secret Rings, it's such a guilty pleasure.
I love the graphics, the music, and even the quirks of the controls.

MeyerGames

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 23, 2017
www.patreon.com
Yeah, I did enjoy Secret Rings growing up. It was a conceptually sound idea that might've worked splendidly as a mobile game, with some adjustments. I actually wouldn't mind seeing someone use the similar design of Dash to do another game like Secret Rings, since it was so unique.

Phones

Green Hill Zone
Apr 22, 2020
Canada
i see many people say that black knight was superior but i think that they are both great in terms of story and gameplay and secret rings had much better level themes and a better main theme while black knight had better boss themes.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Green Hill Zone
Jul 11, 2020
I found a lot of things to defend Sonic 2006 for. Yes, the game is a glitch-ridden mess, but for one thing, it was an attempt to return to the sound foundation of Sonic Adventure 1, one of my first Sonic games.

In addition, I enjoyed the fantasy route Sonic 2006 tried to take, despite the execution. I think that the concept was sound, but the individual beats did need some drastic rewrites.
tbh I found more glitches casually playing sonic adventure then trying to find glitches in 06.

Perfect Chaos Zero

Green Hill Zone
Apr 26, 2017
Depends on your definition of objectively, buuuuut...

Games that are bad, but I love:
Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Colors, Generations, Secret Rings, 3D Blast

Games that are bad, but I don't necessairly dislike them:
Unleashed, All the advance games, the riders series

Games that are bad and I actually kinda hate:
Heroes (especially heroes), 06, Shadow, Lost World, TSR, Black Knight

Actual dog shit:
Forces, Boom, Sonic 4, Heroes (again)

Sorry, not sorry. Truth hurts sometimes. Yes, I'm aware the above opinion won't be popular. Get over your own insecurities and it won't matter to you though.
:emoji_green_heart:

Reactions: AkumaYin

P3DR0

Administrator
Apr 26, 2017
Brass Hill Zone, Act 2
It kinda depends on what's being defined here, as @Perfect Chaos Zero stated.
Are we talking about games we love elements of or about games that I find are "underrated masterpieces that if someone criticizes it I'm coming to your house and eating all your oreos"? Because if it's the latter, than absolutely none.

Now if we're talking about the first one:

I absolutely love Secret Rings due to its aesthetic, presentation and whatnot. But I don't find it to be a good game, despite me loving it.

I also love Heroes just because of its level theme and because I find the gameplay to be somewhat enjoyable, but I 100% understand why people hate it and agree with most of the complaints.

Apart from that I think the only other Sonic game I like that people find it objectively bad is Adventure 1. Which hey, huge nostalgia for, so I may be biased.

Biggerboot

Green Hill Zone
Aug 10, 2020
Let's see. It's a little hard to gauge sometimes what most people consider bad.

Sonic 3D Blast: Love the visuals and music. It's hard to find fans of 3D blast, but even its fans will admit the controls aren't great.
Sonic R: I love the soundtrack and all around I don't think it handles terribly. But there just isn't a lot content wise.
Secret Rings: I like ... the first half of this game. Gets really difficult. Also great soundtrack.
Sonic Riders: I've seen more fans pop up for this over time but I remember it being so hated back then. I have fun with it.

I also like SA1, 2, Heroes... I think those games are divisive but I don't know about them being considered bad by most people.

Last edited:

Sotaknuck

Scrambled Egg Zone
May 27, 2020
I love Sonic 3D (which should be obvious by now). Not perfect, the flicky mechanic is not stellar and can feel very repetitive at times, yet to me it's charming.
I can see why it may be disliked. The gameplay is far too different than what people could expect from a sonic game, but it's still a Sonic game in spirit and style.

ALSO!
* It boasts one of the best soundtracks the Genesis has in its library. So good that sonic adventure even remixes some tracks.
* It's an incredible homage to one of the oldest elements of what become the Sonic Franchise: the Flicky videogame, where you had to rescue birds an take them to the exit.

Plus, all the technical details Jon Burton shared with his coding secrets videos make it even more impressive.
* Sonic 3D has an fmv in a file size that today is unthinkable.
* That impressive scrolling of tiles in all directions with the game not skipping a beat.

botebot

Green Hill Zone
Jan 5, 2020
Depends on your definition of objectively, buuuuut...

Games that are bad, but I love:
Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Colors, Generations, Secret Rings, 3D Blast

Games that are bad, but I don't necessairly dislike them:
Unleashed, All the advance games, the riders series

Games that are bad and I actually kinda hate:
Heroes (especially heroes), 06, Shadow, Lost World, TSR, Black Knight

Actual dog shit:
Forces, Boom, Sonic 4, Heroes (again)

Sorry, not sorry. Truth hurts sometimes. Yes, I'm aware the above opinion won't be popular. Get over your own insecurities and it won't matter to you though.
:emoji_green_heart:
I wouldnt call the Boost games "Objectivly" bad games, they are funtional and many people enjoy them. Its more of a subjectivly bad game..

botebot

Green Hill Zone
Jan 5, 2020
It kinda depends on what's being defined here, as @Perfect Chaos Zero stated.
Are we talking about games we love elements of or about games that I find are "underrated masterpieces that if someone criticizes it I'm coming to your house and eating all your oreos"? Because if it's the latter, than absolutely none.

Now if we're talking about the first one:

I absolutely love Secret Rings due to its aesthetic, presentation and whatnot. But I don't find it to be a good game, despite me loving it.

I also love Heroes just because of its level theme and because I find the gameplay to be somewhat enjoyable, but I 100% understand why people hate it and agree with most of the complaints.

Apart from that I think the only other Sonic game I like that people find it objectively bad is Adventure 1. Which hey, huge nostalgia for, so I may be biased.
I think both will do.

Hmmm .. .. .. My taste for sega and sonic are stuck in the past .. .. .. Never had any taste for the nintendo sonic games or what companies designed sonic to be after the years 1998 and 1999. Loved it with Yujinaka and sonic team of the past from 1989 to 1998, after those days, I left to computers gave up on sega all together, with nintendo designing their games now for (Not the original ways) sammy-sega. I wish the future could have stayed and progressed from the ol' sega days rather than trying to re-mold sega into something it technically is not.

Much love (Only) for the classical hay-days @ Japan, USA.
~ アレクス。

Anything after the sega saturn and dreamcast days, NO! Not in love with at all! Sega should have stayed; "SEGA!" Nintendo should have stayed; "Nintendo" Making them as one would make any classical gamer want to gag on a spoon with classical tastes. The only ppl who love these; "NEW IDEALS ARE THE YOUNGER GAMERS OF TODAY" #Nintendo#Sega #SonicTeam #YujiNaka #JapanConversationOfPast

Much love (Only) for the classical hay-days @ Japan, USA.
~ アレクス。

WaggishOhio383

Green Hill Zone
Sep 8, 2020
If I'm being completely honest I really enjoyed Sonic and the Black Knight. A fun and unique take on the franchise in my opinion.

I also think Sonic 06 doesn't deserve as much hate as it gets. Is it a glitchy mess? Yes. Was there a certain part of the plot of the game that wasn't well thought out or well-received by fans (you know what part I'm talking about)? Yes. However, I love how heavily plot-based the game is (despite it not being the best plot), and as horrible as the controls were I still enjoyed playing the stages once I got used to them. And I really enjoyed the way Shadow's stages played for some reason. Both the way his homing attack works, and the vehicle sections (which no other game in the franchise uses). I feel like it was a really ambitious and unique take on the franchise, both gameplay and aesthetic-wise, which I appreciate.

I don't get all the hate for the advance games either. Granted, I've never played advance 2 or 3, but I really enjoy advance 1 (hence the pfp, though I do want to change it. Don't like the color of the background for some reason).

I used to hate Heroes too because the controls were awful, but then I realized that's just the PS2 version. The Gamecube version is so much better. It's less glitchy, the controls are much more smooth, and it's much easier to not fall to your death 24/7.