don't click here

Speedy the Rollerskater

General Information

s003.png
Speedy the Rollerskater is a 2D platformer game inspired by Sonic 2D games (including the 8 bit ones) made with Open Surge Engine and SurgeScript (both made by Alexander Martins)

Features:
7 Zones
Boss fights
Cutscenes
Music from Newgrounds Audio Portal and Opengameart.org
Inspired by Sonic 1 (16-Bit and 8 bit versions)

Plot:
Speedy's island is in danger... glacial danger! The evil Iceman tricked the inhabitants of the island with ice cream and candys and plots to turn the whole island in a glacial paradise for himself! Play as Speedy and skate through 7 zones of non-stop action! Relax in a sunny beach, explore the depths of the jungle, visit a honey cave and the ruins of an empire, dive under the sea exploring more ruins, have fun in a candy factory, and sail the air to fight Iceman face-to-face on his Air Ice Base!​

s004.png

s008.png

s007.png

s009.png

s006.png

s012.png

Controls:
Left and Right arrows: Move Speedy
Up arrow: Looking up
Down arrow: Crouching
Space Bar: Jump (also skipping cutscenes)
Space Bar + Down arrow: Spin Dash
Space Bar + Up arrow: Peel Out
Space Bar + Space Bar (repeatdly): Swimming (only when you're underwater)
Esc: Allows you to come back to the title screen and/or exit the game.​

Created with Open Surge Engine by Alexander Martins (https://opensurge2d.org/)
This game is inspired on the 2D Sonic classic games and has a similar gameplay, but with original characters, story, etc.

DISCLAIMER:
This game is free and open source. It means you can share, study and modify/fix something you don't like or you think it needs a fix. If you share or put this game in somewhere, please give me credit.​
  • Angry
Reactions: F108_Star

Latest reviews

The game is good, it has a decent story, but it doesn't come without its flaws. I'll keep it simple for this:
  • One of the major critiques I have is the level design in general. Sometimes, it just has you going in a straight direction with nothing to block your way. I found this a bit apparent in Honey Hive 1 and Sunshine Beach 3 especially. There's also usually one exact route, which I'm not really a big fan of.
  • The graphics are... well, a bit inconsistent. I know some of it is from opengameart, but I'd at least like to point that out. Some backgrounds are also very bright at times.
  • The game's difficulty isn't really a hassle, but it isn't balanced either, especially the enemies and bosses (like the big dino-like creature at Deep Jungle 3). The only times I've died are at some of the bottomless pits and drowning in Sunken Ruins.
  • Sometimes, the invincibilty and speed-shoes powerups end right in the middle of the music. It can generally throw the gameplay off.
Otherwise, I give it a 4/5. Good, but needs a few fixes and overhauls.
I enjoyed it overall. Fun gameplay and I liked the story, characters, and setting fairly well, simple as they were. A few things you could work on:
  • First and foremost, the Candy Factory level graphics are cool, but the background is way too bright, it hurt my eyes.
  • It would be nice to have more level specific gimmicks. As the game progressed, I started to get a little bored of the level design.
  • There were a few areas where there was just a flat plane to go forward on for too long.
  • Graphics were inconsistent in style and quality.
  • You should be able to progress from one slide of the cutscene to the next manually. Also, sometimes it was hard to tell when the slide changed if the graphic was the same.
Overall though, it was a fun experience. I look forward to more adventures with Speedy should you decide to make them :)

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Item information

Added by
SynfigMaster91
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games