don't click here

Sonic Liquid Survival (Demo 1)

I've been playing this game for days. At the beginning I wasn't so interested in this game. Now it's one of my favourite Sonic fan games. The idea is great. I thought at the beginning that the Special Stage is impossible turns out that it was WAY PAST COOL! I found all the hidden text messages. And I'm really excited for the future releases! I know it's just Demo 1 but it's WAY PAST COOL!

Also, can you please give me a list of what are the titles of the musics that were used in the game? (They're very cool to be honest)
Reactions: Gnidel
Gnidel
Gnidel
Overall, this demo achieves decent level design, good ideas, and overall feels fun. However it needs much more work in order to make it feel concrete in its ideas, to which this demo fails at doing. While the environment succeeds being a wasteland, its success comes from the unpleasant way the terrain is used and the level design is hurt by it. Movement feels off at certain points and can get very sloppy. While I like how certain characters have different abilities, none of these abilities have no real benefit since the level design does not cater to their abilities overall still feel very much the same despite this. With that, I feel as though this projects goals feels too unfocused and too ambitious for its own good. I feel the creator is biting off more than what they can chew if they plan on making characters feel drastically different from one another, to which they will also need much more polish to feel good enough to play. Overall, this demo is fun but its future is concerning.
Reactions: Gnidel
Gnidel
Gnidel
Thanks for the review!

I admit, I rushed the graphics, so they will improve in the future versions. You said that level design is hurt by unpleasant use of terrain... it's something I will take to heart, as it helped me understand feedback from other people better. I viewed graphics and level design as two separate things. This realization might be helpful in the future.

I tried to make characters not too different just to avoid what you described, overambition, so I won't do anything too drastic like Adventure games. More like classics, where it's mostly the same but with extra flavor. Storyline (where you choose a character between stages, one for them all) will also try to tell more with environments to avoid creation of too many cutscenes. I'll try better to add variety between characters. More since stage 4, because it will be after unlocking a hub world and ability to recruit characters.

Thanks, your feedback will be helpful!
I see a lot of potential in this. The characters control very well and are unique to one another, the levels have a lot of areas to explore, there isn't instant pit deaths everywhere and the bosses aren't too shabby either. The whole thing seems pretty creative and I didn't run into too many bugs. At one point I was standing on some water, but I was by a spring so maybe there was a platform I couldn't see?

My main complaint is just that the levels aren't very appealing to look at. They're very drab and just kinda lifeless. I know it's supposed to be some kind of deserted island, but it'd really help a lot if you could spruce it up a bit. Brown and green just don't make the best visuals.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to more. Good luck.
Gnidel
Gnidel
Thanks for the review!

Graphics will improve. I decided to rush them to get special stages and the second stage and third stage on time and I still didn't finish the third one. It would save me so many questions "why liquid"? :-D

And with that platform, I noticed many people struggled with noticing shapes of crystals they walked on. I'm working on polishing the stage to avoid this while adding appeal to visuals and new gimmick to the stage.

Thanks!