don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic and the Black Knight HD

General Information

Sonic and the Black Knight HD is a reimagining of the original Wii game, taking the stages and rebuilding them for the Unreal engine using the Dash Engine. Play through classic stages remastered with improved visuals, and modified stage layouts to not only better suit the boost formula, but to also add alternative pathways for more ways to play the stages and for finding the 5 Red Rings hidden in each stage, and the chaos emerald hidden in some stages!

Controls (KB/M);

W-A-S-D: Movement
LeftClick/Spacebar: Jump & Homing Attack
RightClick/Left CTRL: Slide
Shift: Boost
Q and E: Side-step left and right
Left Alt: Drift
X: Ringdash

Controls (Xbox Controller);

Left Analog Stick: Movement
A : Jump & Homing Attack
B : Slide
X : Boost
Left & Right Bumpers: Side-step left and right
Left & Right Triggers: Drift
Y : Ringdash

Content;

Currently there are 4 playable levels, Misty Lake, Camelot Castle, Deep Woods, and Titanic Plain. Each stage has 5 Red Rings to collect, and 2 stages have a hidden Chaos Emerald to find! As I continue to work on this project, I will update the listing with new versions with added levels and/or bug fixes as I continue to work on this. I hope you enjoy!

Download;

https://gamejolt.com/games/sonicblackknighthd/723581

Screenshots;

MistyLakeThumbnail.png Mis01.png Mis02.png Mis03.png

CamelotCastleThumbnail.png Cam01.png Cam02.png Cam03.png
Reactions: Ice

Latest reviews

Even though this site requires me to make a constructive review, I simply cannot do it. I didn't like this demo, because first - there is no purpose for it, as the original game exists and this fan remake doesn't improve anything upon it (unless you wanted to make boost gameplay out of it, which didn't feel great either). Second - the fps is really flawed. Sometimes it goes up to 60FPS, other times it tanks down to 1. I guess it's because you have placed too much grass, which is too heavy for the hardware (I use GTX750ti for reference), and also because the original game has also too big stages for the engine to handle, hence why I get 1 fps in some places before going back to 60.

Comments

The fact that these levels weren't created thinking on the boost formula, makes the levels dysfunctional, frustrating, and they just can't work on a boost game. With that said, if you want to make an enjoyable Black Knight remake, you should create a whole new level design, with the boost formula in your mind.

Last edited:
It does feel and look nice, but I believe there is a bit too much automation in certain parts where normally you'd be swinging at obstacles with the sword. I think the camera work could be somewhat improved and also better direct the player in the direction of the buttons in Deep Woods. Other than those things, I do think this project has a lot of promise, and I hope to see it take advantage of the boost a bit more.

Oh my god a 3D Sonic fan game that uses automatic camera angles what the fuck fanbase did I wake up in this is incredible

But that's about my only praise. I know this is a 0.2 release but it's a flawed idea from the foundation. These stages were built for an entirely different type of gameplay, and taking those stages and haphazardly placing the models into the Dash Engine framework with no regard for automation or invisible walls or anything that keeps official 3D Sonic games from crashing and burning, is just not a good concept.
HOWEVER
Your custom camera angles and how you added in new areas with red rings that previously weren't in the original, shows you do have the skill to do more than this. I want to see more care put into things like that with 3D Sonic fan games, we've been on the Robo Blast ideology of "control the camera entirely by yourself, bitch" for 20 years too long.
Keep it up, dude, but maybe in a different direction.

Oh my god a 3D Sonic fan game that uses automatic camera angles what the fuck fanbase did I wake up in this is incredible

But that's about my only praise. I know this is a 0.2 release but it's a flawed idea from the foundation. These stages were built for an entirely different type of gameplay, and taking those stages and haphazardly placing the models into the Dash Engine framework with no regard for automation or invisible walls or anything that keeps official 3D Sonic games from crashing and burning, is just not a good concept.
HOWEVER
Your custom camera angles and how you added in new areas with red rings that previously weren't in the original, shows you do have the skill to do more than this. I want to see more care put into things like that with 3D Sonic fan games, we've been on the Robo Blast ideology of "control the camera entirely by yourself, bitch" for 20 years too long.
Keep it up, dude, but maybe in a different direction.
Thank you for the feedback, a lack of invisible walls and organic blocking of areas has been one of the most frequent pieces of criticism I've seen and I'm definitely taking that to heart. I plan to go back to previous levels and work on improving the experience from that aspect by doing what you said, making it harder for the player to accidentally break the game or expose broken geometry by just wandering around. This is my first project in Unreal and also my first 3d game so I'm sort of teaching myself as I go. With levels I've worked on that haven't been released yet, I've definitely learned how to improve the inherent flaw of these levels originally being designed to be on-rails. Again, thank you so much for the feedback, I really do appreciate it!

This is my first project in Unreal and also my first 3d game so I'm sort of teaching myself as I go.
Oh man, I'm surprised this is your first 3D project. I know I'm a broken record, but auto camera angles are something even massive 3D Sonic fangames like Omens don't get right. I hardly had to touch the right stick, I know it's a simple thing but it's definitely worthy of praise.

Item information

Added by
GgGames
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
2.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from GgGames

Share this item