don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic AM2

General Information

DEV NOTE DISCLAIMER! - Hello, quick learning phase of game-dev disclaimer, you'll likely find some rough spots and frustrating awkwardness, so head's up on that before you download! I've compiled some of the most common confusions and added a new 'Handy Gameplay Info' at the top of the booth for reference. Constructive feedback is welcome and be sure to follow the official twitter account @fangameSonicAM2 if your interested in updates post SAGE!

One final Post Sage Update on 9-23 - Details in Updates section on bottom of page. Be sure to grab the latest!

Bonus Handy Gameplay Info! (Common Gameplay Questions)
Gate Tallies
tutorial-image01.png

While Amy is quite agile and capable of clearing most of the fences if she really wants to, some of the fences have associated tally lights that are looking for a specific amount of enemies to be defeated before opening. As this is really just a tutorial stage, the choice is yours on how you want to run through it, but this type of environment cue might be handy in future levels.

Hammer Launch
Later in the game, unless you thrive on death defying jumping thrills, the hammer launch move will come in handy for hitting distance targets and buttons. The catch is unless the arrows line up on the circle, you will either completely miss the enemy or he won't go where the aiming reticle is currently pointing at launch. The aligning arrows are your main cue, but there is an audio snippet to help judge when you can't see it clearly as well.

tutorial-02a.png

tutorial-02b.png

If the camera is too fidgeting, remember you can adjust the sensitivity in the pause menu!

(Now back to your originally scheduled booth opener...}

Hello, and Welcome to Round 2 of the AM2 Thing! Fight?
The Story so far: (or lack thereof). Largely inspired by the magical mystique of things that are unobtainable when we're younger. Two of those things for me were Sonic the Fighters and Sonic CD. Knew of 'em, could only play 'em in my imagination. So now for better or worse I feel motivated to try and make some sort of mashup of the two. What if 3D graphics pioneer AM2 partnered with Sega to make a super charged platformer instead of the fighter we got?

Gameplay: I got distracted! Sonic stages are still coming (and Tails!), but this year you get Amy and she has a hammer. There are some indications that I may also like the ratchet and clank series. :)

Combat!
Basic Moves To Get Started: (buttons correspond to Xbox configuration)
A: Jump (No Spin, she's not Sonic, so don't try to jump on baddies unless you really just can't help yourself...)
X: Hammer!
There! That's all you need, now go be the rosy rascal you are!

Really That's it?
The demo is more of an opening tutorial stage, so most of the additional moves are noted in the help tutorial modules. But if you must have it all now in the er... instruction booth there is also...

Bonus Moves!
Hold X:
Hammer Spin!
RB: Guard
RB+X High Jump
RB+X While Jumping: Ground Pound.
And you'll find out eventually anyway:
LT or RT: May or may not have a super smash associated with it, but still needs to be tweaked!

And that's the basics for combat! There is one more aspect that will be expanded upon in future levels though...

screenshot-02.png

Stealth!
On the latter part of the demo, you'll run into some Eggcops. Eventually, these will be key players that I hope will create a bit of anxiety for the player. You can engage if you so desire, but sometimes it will just be smarter to work around them. If only there was something hanging around the level that you could hide in?

If they do happen to see you (and are able to initiate the global alarm system), you can at least open the resulting locked doors by looking for the your friendly neighborhood alarm generator and letting it become friends with your hammer...

And that's this years demo! As I'm sure you've heard me note before, it's very much a work in progress (still working on not making Amy feel so floaty), but feel free to report if there is any major game breaking bugs (that get you stuck or unable to make progress).

Now go play it and let me know what you think! If your interested in the games progress, twitter account is @fangameSONICAM2!

Latest reviews

I like how this game looks. This aesthetic and choice for models is a nice touch. I didn't like the combat, however. It feels... kinda janky if that's the right word. Requires time to get used to. For aiming the enemies I'd suggest making a pointer, like in Sky Chase Sonic Adventure stages when you aim at the target and the target stays because right now it's hard to keep track of both where you're pointing and the arrows aligning on the robot. I was also not a fan of the camera, should zoom it out more probably. And please make the Right Stick camera faster, or the option to do that because it felt like a chore always waiting for it to move where I want.
This clearly has a lot of love and attention to it, I admire that. granted, there's alot of problems but I only mention them because I see potential in this game and want to see it improve~

pros:
+cute amy portrait/animations
+great enemy designs and gameplay so far, looks very promising.
+lock on hammer is great mechanic idea
+wall jump
+other hammer attacks are cool too!

cons:
-awkward hitboxes for amy's attacks (I think she needs a jump spin hammer like sonic advance)
-spawning flying enemies with red button will launch them to the ground, just noclipping basically
-encountered a glitch where doing certain animations while jumping and attacking emeies just freezes amy in place, unless she uses lock on hammer
-I currently cannot proceed past the grind rail section since her speed cannot go faster on a rail
-the tutorial signs aren't that easy to figure out that they can give you advice, it blends in with the background and may need brightning/recolouring.
-Please I beg you, put some underwear on amy!! >/\<

overall, this is a fan game with alot of potential, please keep it up!
R
robotMonkey64
Hey Dextergethood, I actually appreciate your feedback here (I was just about to put up a 'help me make the game better' type disclaimer to help me track down the things people are having trouble with). I don't have time at the moment, but most of these things are worth getting figured out (I have a pretty good idea as to why your having problems with the grind rail section, I had a similar problem with the small wall running section, which I believe I fixed in the latest update? Your supposed to at least be able to get to the capsule platform with a little effort).

I will DM you when the rail section is finished, as I think the last bit is worth playing! No promises on the underwear though (canonically it would be incorrect! :) ), but I did make the camera a bit more err... discreet, when I saw people having trouble with it. 😁
Dextergethood
Dextergethood
I have DM'ed you my thoughts on the newest build. (I wish I could reply here but can't since it doesn't allow no more than 1000 characters.

Comments

I can tell one thing from playing this already. There's some good work here. Not just for the use of a controller at last. But Amy's moveset too. My one issue is that she feels like she picks up speed when moving too easily.

Hey Robert, glad to hear from you again this year and thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm not currently satisfied with her walking/running momentum either, but it's defiantly on my radar to try and get that nailed down in the future. That is, of course, once I'm done recovering from Sage crunch burnout. :)

Hey Robert, glad to hear from you again this year and thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm not currently satisfied with her walking/running momentum either, but it's defiantly on my radar to try and get that nailed down in the future. That is, of course, once I'm done recovering from Sage crunch burnout. :)

Ahhh. That's understandable there. I imagine the crunch may have been rough for you. At the very least, I think you had done some good work here. Amy's gameplay alone is already a great one.

Where can we find the latest build? Seems like the one for download here doesn't have controller support yet unless I'm doing something wrong

NSR MUSIC BAYBEEEE
Alright, notes- controller does not work. I am using an Xbox Series controller instead of 360 or One, so that might be it. Playing with a mouse physically hurts me since up and down are inverted for camera control.
The visuals are iffy IMO, it looks REALLY cool and I love the style, but if you're going for accuracy, Model 2 arcade hardware couldn't do bloom or go higher than 656×496 in terms of resolution. BUT, if you just wanna make it look cool, it already does 😎
Looking forward to more work being done on this, I've yet to see a 3D Sonic fangame I've been able to call "good" other than Robo Blast 2 and parts of Sonic Omens, but with controller support and some automated camera angles [so the player doesn't have to control the camera at all times] could really make this one shine!

Where can we find the latest build? Seems like the one for download here doesn't have controller support yet unless I'm doing something wrong
Hmmm...not sure? What controller are you using? I've currently only been able to test with a Xbox Series X|S controller and my PS4 DualShock running the DS4windows app, is it one of those or something different?

What controller are you using? I use an xbox one controller for PC and it works for me after you press space on the title screen.

I'm using a Hori USB Gamecube controller, but when I plug it into my PC it registers as a 360 controller. Even skipping past the title screen with Space I'm not getting it to register any input. If the controller just isn't supported that's totally cool, I can probably figure out whatever the modern equivalent of joy2key is, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out if I could get it to work out of the box. Game looks great!

NSR MUSIC BAYBEEEE
Alright, notes- controller does not work. I am using an Xbox Series controller instead of 360 or One, so that might be it. Playing with a mouse physically hurts me since up and down are inverted for camera control.
The visuals are iffy IMO, it looks REALLY cool and I love the style, but if you're going for accuracy, Model 2 arcade hardware couldn't do bloom or go higher than 656×496 in terms of resolution. BUT, if you just wanna make it look cool, it already does 😎
Looking forward to more work being done on this, I've yet to see a 3D Sonic fangame I've been able to call "good" other than Robo Blast 2 and parts of Sonic Omens, but with controller support and some automated camera angles [so the player doesn't have to control the camera at all times] could really make this one shine!
Hey Aorta, thanks for your comment and input! ...Yeeeeeeeah, I realize I'm not really playing by the Model 2 playbook in any authentic manner, but still being relatively new to dev I kinda have to pick my battles here. If I ever get to the level where I feel 'fluent' in Unreal Engine, I would love to play with being more 'true' to what the Model 2 could actually do. But at the moment, I'm content to let unreal engine do it's thing and bloom everyone's eyes out. 😁

Curious, (and unfortunately not sure how much I will be able to help this SAGE), as you appear to be using the same controller as me (Xbox Series X|S?), did you ever get the controller to function in gameplay?

Item information

Added by
robotMonkey64
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from robotMonkey64

• Sonic AM2
    What if instead of Sonic the Fighters we got a arcade platformer instead?

Share this item