don't click here

Sonic After The Sequel Ω

The game sent me all the way back to Sugar Splash Zone after beating the Storm Station Boss making me have to do most of the game all over again. Pretty decent remake of ATS overall but the new boss phases are unnecessary and of course needing to redo most of the game has kind of soured my opinion on it. It's worth a try especially for fans of the original but it's pretty sloppy.
couldn't get past cyan city boss
Gamecontroller
J
Jak54436
looks cool but it won't let me play it
Let me be honest here. The premise of ATS Omega is the best. I love it. But the way it was executed, it's terrible.

First, the good stuff. I love the new animations. Sonic's smooth running animation is Mania-grade and I love it. I also see that some sprites were replaced. Eggman used to have Sonic 2 sprites on the original ATS and now it's properly replaced.

To be in Widescreen is welcome. I tried to make the original ATS widescreen when the source code came out but seeing how I would need to do that for every single stage and menu individually, I ended giving up. Nice to see someone has a bigger determination than me and actually made it.

The difficulty in stages is also something welcome. The original ATS was too easy and this one here tells the player to be more careful.

Now for the bad stuff, the bosses. I played only up to Cyan City and I just realized how insane the difficulty is. Horizon Heights difficulty was higher than I would have expected but I saw it as a bug. Eggman wasn't getting low enough to hit him and he would randomly get lower so I couldn't predict when I could and couldn't jump.

Sugar Splash Zone boss has no reason to exist. Act 3 is already annoying enough and there shouldn't be a boss. The original didn't. I heard this boss used to be way harder and now is easier but I played only v2 so it's still hard. The missiles pattern is completely random and you need to be lucky for the spheres to fall where you can hit them in a way that would bounce off Eggman and to the rail. With the in-game physics, this is easier said than done.

Cyan City boss act is terrible. First, the continuity error. What the FRICK is Silver Sonic doing there?! He was destroyed on Sonic 2, before the events of ATS! Doesn't make any sense for it to be there so please remove that thing. Now, the second phase is slightly harder than in the original ATS. The spikes come a little shortly after the sphere. Takes some lives to get used to but still doable. Now Phase 3... oh boy...

I wonder why the boss of the third zone must have two phases, let alone three. I would expect Phase 3 as part of a Kaizo Sonic ATS but not on a fricking remaster. First Silver Sonic, which is supposed to be destroyed. Second, Mecha Sonic which is from Sonic 3 but... passable. Now fricking BIG ARMS??? You're kidding me, right? I stopped playing there. Nearly unpredictable missile patterns, slowdowns and the feeling it is coming from Spark's Challenge Mode from Spark the Electric Jester. Doesn't make any sense for the boss of the third zone.

It only makes me sad that this game won't get further development according to the GameJolt page. It has a lot of potential. They only need to tune down the difficulty a lot on the bosses, get rid of the fricking phase 3 on Cyan City Boss Act. If it weren't for the improved graphics, the rating would have been only one star.
Last edited:
After playing the new version i think the bosses are nowhere near as bad as the previous versions. You can play it, since now the bosses aren't complete bullshit, but they're still not perfect. But now they don't completely ruin the game, yay.
Last edited:
At first, this seems like definitive package. It's not hard to see why that is, either. Widescreen support, Beautiful remastered cut-scenes (amazing work as always, Triangly!), some lore fixes (being able to use Super Sonic in the first zone was a nice touch!), and even some extra sprites thrown in as well (Sonic be lookin' SMOOTH!)!

So, why isn't my rating higher?
Well, let me address the elephant in the room,
The Boss difficulty.

For some reason, the bosses were changed from the previous versions. While that seems to be a neat idea on paper, in practice, the changes were for the worse, not the better. The Storm Station Boss is a prime example of this (in my opinion). Even after the 2.0 patch, some of the boss patterns and projectiles are so stupid hard that after I beat the game, I felt like I never wanted to replay it. I'm not the only one with this opinion, either.

A minor nitpick as well is the physics changes, while I have no problems with the normal ground physics, while you're underwater, however, it feels like you can jump into the stratosphere! It just doesn't feel right. Again though, it's just a minor problem.

So, in conclusion, while I like the IDEA of this version, I simply CANNOT recommend it over the previous ones. Especially to the people who have never played After The Sequel before. The bosses are really frustrating sometimes, and they just don't work well in my opinion.
Reactions: Knight
This "remaster" tries to make Sonic After the Sequel a better game after the heavily flawed DX re-release from the original creator, but in the end this barely fixes any of the bugs that the original game has and instead makes the game close to impossible to finish for the average player. This is all thanks to boss battles that when not vague on how to attack them are filled with all sorts of incredibly hard to dodge projectiles, random characters being added for no reason (Silver Sonic, the mansion boss and a tank turtle for e.g.), spikes everywhere, cannons being added to the arena, or straight up additional phases that contain all that I've previously mentioned. Even Story mode is bugged when you start a new game because you start with Super Sonic being ready to use despite not getting any of the 7 Chaos Emeralds even when playing Classic Mode which requires the Emeralds to get the good ending.
The only highlights of this remaster are the content that was left untouched like the level design, power ups and the first and final bosses. What should have been an improved version of the game is now the fan game equivalent of George Lucas adding unnecessary details to every shot in the Star Wars re-releases, and unfortunately you may not even be able to experience all of it thanks to the new boss changes without downloading a completed save file.
  • Sad
Reactions: Knight and Triangly
Triangly
Triangly
Dude, did you forget that Sonic has ALL the Chaos Emeralds after Sonic 2 and then he loses them in the cutscene after HHZ boss?
Why does people counting fixes of original storyplot as bugs? I just can't understand
D
Dashaque
Hey can you point me into the direction of that save file?... I'm stuck on the Furnace Foilage boss (or w/e) and it's not that it's super hard it's just that the save file starts me at 0 lives and I have to sit through the game over to try again
SunkythePootis
SunkythePootis
@Dashaque I have played the newer version but at most I noticed some projectiles being reduced in either speed or amount, so I still stand by my review.
I remember playing the original years ago and quite liking it... I don't like this "remaster" as much... I don't remember the bosses being so hard. I remember it being actually fun and not frustrating. I didn't even KNOW how to defeat the Sugar Splash boss and when I finally thought I had it, it it entered "phase 2" which was basically throw every possible projectile and explosion at Tails (or Sonic or whoever). I couldn't even tell what was going on...

I ended up just getting frustrated and turning the game off. It's a shame cause the original was quite a joy to play.

I do like the engine, the music, the graphics and everything else but I just did not enjoy this remsateroverall

heeey this is MUCH better. I commend you heavily for taking our criticism and making improvements upon the game. The bosses seem much more reasonable now. At least the ones I've played. I think the third phase of Cyan City could be toned down a bit still, or maybe slow down the missiles?

Either way I know I can beat this now if these bosses remain like this but I'd strongly recommend using checkpoints since they have multiple phases.

Again, thanks so much for fixing that. And your hard work doesn't have to go to waste. You can always make a super expert boss rush or something.

Thanks again and it's a very good remaster. I don't think I ever finished the original (idk why) but I'll try my best to finish this.
Last edited:
The game is great so far, the boss battles are really good and the animations are well done, more specific achievements are missing for each act and some scenario details are in the wrong layer, but this "remake" really had great potential and i'll wait anxiously to more updates!