don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Soda-Powered Penguin Demo (Sage '22 Flavor)

I LOVE this game, although i have a bit of a problem where my keybinding aren't saved.
I'm not gonna lie, I tried this game purely for the penguin, I love it! Its animations are just top-notch.
I had a ton of fun with this demo, the gameplay is amazing, the penguin is adorable and those levels were so good ! It's a really simple concept, and yet I never felt bored while playing it and got through it all in one go. It's fast, responsive, intuitive and deep enough to feel your progress in its mechanics.
The music in itself is good too, but maybe it's a bit too chill for its levels ? (it's perfect for the HUB) I had the most fun when I tried to advance as fast as possible but the music didn't feel quite as driving as it should, maybe that's the point ? I dunno.
Anyway, so far this is my favourite game of this Expo.
Reactions: Domo Yoro
For most SAGE entries, I was way too lazy to review them at all, and honestly I feel the same about writing a detailed review of this game, but I decided to gather all my strengths to tell you guys that what you're doing is absolutely phenomenal and I think you guys have a beautiful future ahead of you.
I have only one single complaint: the time limit to get the last bottle cap in the second level feels way too strict, I have no idea of how you're supposed to do it. But I admit I haven't got that bottle cap yet and I probably just need to git gud. So yeah, besides that, no complaints at all, everything about this game is amazing!
Reactions: Domo Yoro
This is one of my favourite new fan games for SAGE! I came for the funny title but stayed because this concept works very well!

pros:
+incredibly polished controls
+I could play for hours
+clear indicators (sound and visual) to when I can soda dash again
+EXTREMELY FUN GAMEPLAY! (like celeste except kinder with an extra heart)
+sound effects are noticle but doesn't murder my ears haha.
+very easy to understand tutorial with controller support! (bonus points for mapping the dash button to the trigger buttons too! it made it easier for me to dash instead of using X on xbox one controller)
+BEYOND good level design + backgrounds to easily tell where I am.

cons:
-I don't know where the missing bottlecaps are (I am aware that you're supposed to look for them by yourself but maybe a hint after stage completion would be nice. such as: before you enter in a door and it tells you where you want to go, it shows the places where the missing bottle caps are
(e.g.
=downhill (2 left)
=uphill (all caps found))
-that's really it so far

the last bottle cap on the 2nd level is a true test of all the mechanics I've learned while playing this game which I wished more video games did.
please continue working on this because this has such potential to be very successful.
Domo Yoro
Domo Yoro
Thank you for playing, I'm glad you super-enjoyed it!! I put a lot of love and care into the polish over the past few months.

As for finding the missing bottlecaps: I did plan on separating out the bottlecap list for each subsection of the level, but unfortunately I didn't have time to implement that for SAGE. But it'll definitely be in the full game!
Easily one of the best indie games of this SAGE!

The physic and gameplay are perfect, the level design is clever and well done. It's a fricking penguin with a soda backpack, I love it.

For me it's on par with Celeste in term of gameplay quality.