SAGE 2020 - Demo RUBATO - SAGE 2020 Preview Demo

Overview

ABOUT

RUBATO is an original physics-based platforming game for Windows, taking inspiration from games like LittleBigPlanet, Yoshi's Island and Cave Story, as well as the surrealism of titles such as Parappa The Rapper and Katamari Damacy. The main mechanic of the game is Rubato's tongue, which you can use to manipulate objects as well as to pickup and throw enemies. The demo itself is a test of what a level in the game theoretically could be like and is only representitive of about 10 months of development, though features will be carried over to the final version of the game.

FEATURES
The demo is designed to be replayable so more areas and features open up after your first playthrough!

- 1 big interconnected semi-metroidvania-like area to explore! Additionally, there are secrets and what not scattered around to find on your second playthrough after beating the area boss!
- Saving (..please actually consider how many games at SAGE will actually have this LOL)
- Multiple costumes and gadgets to change how Rubato looks as well as the gameplay style of the game!
- A car race. Let's see those tires burn!
- A bonus timed challenge course that'll surely test your skills and wit
- A rudimentary level editor, with shareable level files
- You can become a fridge
- And more..!

CONTROLS
A/D
- Move
W - Jump
ESC - Pause
F - Fullscreen
Left Click - Lick/Throw/Confirm
Right Click - Pick Up (Whilst Licking)/Back
O -
EMERGENCY SELF DESTRUCT BUTTON - USE WITH CAUTION*
J - Does absolutely nothing

*d.conn is not responsible for any injuries or harm caused by the use of this button

(There is currently no controller support!)

FAQ

When will the game come out?
- I hopefully can get it done by early 2022, but I'm currently going into college so getting the done will be tricky to balance. Either way, that shouldn't be treated as a concrete date

Will the level editor be in the final game?
- Yes and no. Very late into development of this demo I realised that the level editor wouldn't be very console ready if the game ever does get a port. I'll be releasing the editor as a free update down the line for development (with new items, better UI and an updated save/loading system) so I can focus on the main game more closely. Either way, the level editor included here was a prototype I made that I threw in as a bonus

How long has this game been in development?
- 10 months (since November 2019). Though I did restart development to redo some key mechanics in the game in April 2020 so the current iteration of the game is about 3 months old. Roughly 50% of the old version of the game was reusable though, so it wasn't too bad restarting development. (Yeah, I sorta lied about it being worth 10 months of development because in reality it really is 3-4 due to how much changed post restart -
the game's original prototype speaks for itself!)

Will there be Mac and Linux ports?
- Can't guarentee this at all, BUT the game has been tested briefly in Wine and seems to be working fairly well in it

Whats the game being developed in?
- Game Maker Studio 2! Very odd that I've gone for this for something physics orientated, but I feel very comfortable developing with it

Will you take my firstborn in and care for him?
- No

SOUNDTRACK DOWNLOAD

This is pay-what-you-want so you can choose to help fund development if you feel so! My supply of instant noodles is an evergrowing one
-> DOWNLOAD HERE <-

SOCIAL MEDIA

ITCH.IO MIRROR

Media

Credits

Creator, Programmer, Musician, Sound Design, Writing, Art
d.conn

Sprite Artist/Character Designer
ShibaMA

Sprite Artist/Concept Artist
Ian Mulvihill (Nerples)

Sprite Art
Matt Grey (Deebits)

Programming Assistance/Sprite Artist
Michael 'Tiniest Turtles' Gonzalez

Voice Acting/3D Modelling/Rendering
Landy Shambles

Playtesting
Kapuccino
R08Y

Level Editor Tileart
squp

Error/Cutscene Music
marshammi

3D Modelling/Rendering
Brun. H

Mountain Parallax Assets
namsimuz (https://ansimuz.itch.io/)

Bay Bracelet Music
Blood Sacrfice - Jacbo Lizette (https://soundcloud.com/jacob-lizotte-315643634)
Reactions: MrKyurem

Comments

I watched Stealth play this one. I tried it out for myself, too, albeit quickly.

The level aesthetics are pretty plain, but I assume that's just because it's early in development. The tongue mechanics are a lot of fun.

Item information

Added by
dconn537
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item